NGD: 1964 Fender Jazzmaster(now CAR)

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: 1964 Fender Jazzmaster - now with pics!

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:07 pm

That looks great. Enjoy.

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:28 am

Currently I'm looking for a luthier to get the issues on this Jazzmaster fixed.
I don't use this Jazzmaster at the moment because the frets buzz in some places.
I consider a refret and while at it, have the fretboard restored.
In the restauration-section I posted a similar request: If anyone knows a trustworthy luthier in or near Belgium, please let me know.
thanks
Tom

bencrit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bencrit » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:52 am

Nice acquisition. 3k USD seems to be about the going rate for refinished Jazzmasters. Not sure how paint job looks in person, but I like it when they do the matching headstock.

The vintage Jazzmasters sound and feel very unlike the reissues. Hope you enjoy it.

drmw93
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by drmw93 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:00 pm

Very cool, enjoy!

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: 1964 Fender Jazzmaster

Post by otis » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:02 pm

I've got news on the restauration of my Jazzmaster.
So I had this neck issue of the too worn frets wich made a buzzing note allways nearby.
This led me to play more on my '64 AV telecaster for the last months.
Someone on the forum gave me the contact of a good luthier in Antwerp, Stijn Kenens.
I can recommend him highly.
Stijn judged the slopes in the rosewood just before the first frets to be allmost non-solvable.
A new fretboard would make everything too expensive and would affect the guitars originality. A partly restauration with sawdust and glue would remain too obvious in his experience.
Furthermore, he reconed playing isn't affected the least by this, so we left the neck like it was, safe from a little planing he had to do before installing the new frets.
The frets are of a slightly wider size than the one on my costello Jazzmaster (the Costello's got the same as vintage reissue Jazzmasters).
When at first, I wasn't sure if I liked the way the guitar plays now, I soon found out all I needed was a bit time to adjust. I like the frets a lot now.

next to the Costello

He also took away the rusted in place screw of the pickguard and replaced it.
So today I opened the Jazzmaster up for the first time.
I wanted to provide more foam under the pickups to be able to adjust both pickups a bit better. I was also very curious to see it's electronics since all I had seen was a blury picture.
Somehow, I expected the inside to be a put-together mess of Jazzmaster parts.
No worst scenario, it seemed. It looked a lot cleaner than I feared.

I've got a 'Mell'

And two different brand pots it seems
I think I saw them both in other Jazzmasters.
I didn't write down the numbers, but everything looked okay to my amateur eyes...

October, 14th '64 handwritten on the neck pickup/ bridge PU has no writing

And finally a less beautifull detail that must have happend before the (ugly)refin.

I never liked the refin nor the terrible 'relic' it got.
The luthier also thought the paint was applied too thin and showed orange peel.
I'm strongly considering a refin at the moment; I feel the guitar is worthy of getting a decent refinishing instead of it's current amateur paintjob.
So, I'm very thrilled about what is to happen.
I'm getting a right-shoulder operation by the end of May, and I won't be able to play guitar for 3 months :wtf: , so this seems the best time for the refin.
I'm going back and forth between Firemist silver and charcoal frost.
These would be the rational colors, that go with it's red tort.
The color I actually WANT is burgundy mist, but combined with the tort(and I'm not going with a repro guard), I think it's a bit hideous( just a bit).
I've been watching a lot of pics today and I'm really a bit torn on the subject.
Anyway, charcoal frost, matching headstock isn't too bad, right? :)
btw, if anyone can advise someone for the refin in Belgium, I'd appreciate it.
thanks

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:20 pm

otis wrote: The color I actually WANT is burgundy mist, but combined with the tort(and I'm not going with a repro guard), I think it's a bit hideous( just a bit).
I've been watching a lot of pics today and I'm really a bit torn on the subject.
Anyway, charcoal frost, matching headstock isn't too bad, right?
If it were me, I wouldn't think twice about selling or stashing the original guard and finishing it the colour I wanted.

You are already making the decision that the current refinish isn't what you want, may as well go the whole distance and attain the dream look you're after.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:32 pm

otis wrote: The color I actually WANT is burgundy mist, but combined with the tort(and I'm not going with a repro guard), I think it's a bit hideous( just a bit).

I'd go for Burgundy Mist...I like the look with the tort guard too...

Or with no tort...

Both options work for me! :-*
Resident Spartan.

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:43 am

mgeek wrote:
If it were me, I wouldn't think twice about selling or stashing the original guard and finishing it the colour I wanted.

You are already making the decision that the current refinish isn't what you want, may as well go the whole distance and attain the dream look you're after.
zhivago wrote:
I'd go for Burgundy Mist...I like the look with the tort guard too...

Or with no tort...

Both options work for me!
Well, you both got me thinking.
It's true that going with a second choice would be more or less a pity, and dispite that I think BMM goes better with parchment or mint green, the guitar you posted Zhivago is certainly a looker!
The tort on my Jazzmaster is more or less the same, perhaps slightly darker in some areas, but it will look great nevertheless...
And than I could allways temporarily stash it away for some mint green guard.
Well, I guess BMM it will become.
I was considering Iris mist metallic as wel, a color someone on this board used for a refin of his or her Jaguar.
here's a pic from the thread
and a link to the thread
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... hp?t=99937
But at the same time I feel the stronger color that BMM is , is what I like best.
edit: seeing this Jag again now, I'm not so sure anymore of BMM! ;D
Funny how hard it is to pick ONE color!

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:21 am

Heheh...I know what it's like having to pick between colours...I guess you got to follow your heart on it :)

The BMM wit the tort guard that I posted was for sale probably 10 years ago (hence the size/quality of the photos), but it has stuck in my mind as a firm favourite. The rarity puts it over the top for me. :)
Resident Spartan.

memeow
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by memeow » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:02 am

Since you already have a tort pickguard, keep it with a Burgundy finish it looks classy :)

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:09 am

You know, I think I'm gonna leave it white. anticlimax!
Now that I'm able to take off the pickguard and dismantle the guitar completely, I can try to sand the too rough surface more to an even shine.
There seems to be no clearcoat on the body, so just sanding the existing paint layer is an option.
I looked for info on vintage Fenders and it seems that some instruments didn't get a clearcoat while most did.
Hence the vintage white guitars that are still plain white, it seems...
The lacquer on these should be more prone to get hairline cracks since the paintlayer is thinner.
While I 'd love my Jazzmaster to have a yellowed clearcoat, the idea of an ultra thin layer of lacquer also appeals.
Anyway, when I find some time, I'll take the guitar apart and I'll wetsand the existing finish starting from 1200 paper up to the finest I can get.
If I get sandthrough spots, I'll have it refinned, but I'm gonna try to get it decent this way first.
It'll save me about 350 euro, I guess...

memeow
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by memeow » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:48 pm

Yeah, it's a option to. And with a thin layer of lacquer it will worn off quickly if like relic look

mcjt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcjt » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:04 pm

it's not an original decal. i would wet sand it off and get a more authentic looking one.
That font in bold is very fake!
Otherwise, it's a great JM. i think keeping the white is a great idea!

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:31 am

mcjt wrote:it's not an original decal. i would wet sand it off and get a more authentic looking one.
That font in bold is very fake!
Otherwise, it's a great JM. i think keeping the white is a great idea!
Thanks for pointing that out!
I looked at the Jim Shine website, and the difference is striking, indeed.
http://jimshine.com/jazzmaster/intricac ... jazzma.htm
I think I need the second '64 decall with the white behind the gold 'Fender', cause the neck on my Jazzmaster is June (I think; I never took pictures of it).
Anyone 's got an idea where to get the right decall?
Anyway, the cosmetic change will be for August the earliest; I got a call from the hospital today and they will operate my shoulder the 10th of May.
There's still so much to do at school and at home so I won't have time for this untill after full recovery.
I can collect what I'll need in the meantime (sanding paper and a new font? ;D )
Wow! I'll have a great time the next few months :fp: !

markblack77
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by markblack77 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:57 am

very nice. enjoy.