NGD Competition Mustang in Purpleburst

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD Competition Mustang in Purpleburst

Post by spacecadet » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:09 pm

sookwinder wrote:sort of off topic.... "burgundy" ... why are we using the word burgundy .... that is a red based colour (Gibson even call their candy Apple Red "sparkling burgundy")
Because that's what Fender called it. Who knows why, but it's the official name of the color. Maybe Leo was blue colorblind.

Why does Bob Ross call deep, dark purple "lavender"?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:40 pm

sookwinder wrote:sort of off topic.... "burgundy" ... why are we using the word burgundy .... that is a red based colour (Gibson even call their candy Apple Red "sparkling burgundy")

I haven't seen any guitars or parts of guitars in this thread remotely looking like burgundy ... I am sooooooooooooooo confused
It's named after Burgundy, France. I believe the connection is something to do with the traditional blue colour of French racing cars - like how the Brits had their racing green, Italians had red, etc.

The deep red we know as Burgundy is named after the dark red wine that comes from the region, but the blue mustangs have to do with the cars.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

HH1978
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HH1978 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:02 pm

That's one of those shady Japanese sellers who's just taking listings from other Japanese sites and reposting them on Ebay with a huge markup. Then if somebody buys it, he goes and buys it from the store and pockets the difference. I'd be totally ok with that if these sellers would just be up front about the fact that they're just running a shopping service, instead of making it appear that they have these guitars in their possession.
So that's why I often see the same guitar listed by three different japanese sellers with the same pictures ;D Last time I noticed that, the guitar had just been sold by Olivia Vintage a couple of weeks before for 1500$. Japanese sellers on ebay were asking 3500$.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:50 pm

mbene085 wrote:It's named after Burgundy, France. I believe the connection is something to do with the traditional blue colour of French racing cars - like how the Brits had their racing green, Italians had red, etc.

wouldn't a name like "French racing blue" have been better.....

It's like the names we get given for our vehicles (mainly from the USA)
so a name of a colour like "Gasoline" here in Oz ... people think "Gasoline" then think "petrol" then think a pinky colour, because the is the colour of petrol in Oz.
But the colour "Gasoline" is a blue colour :fp:
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

HH1978
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HH1978 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:12 am

Burgundy is known for red wine production. More likely related to the wine's red-purple color I think.

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:28 am

HH1978 wrote:Burgundy is known for red wine production. More likely related to the wine's red-purple color I think.
These purpleburst guitars are not that common. Standard "competition burgundy" is just plain metallic blue. (Many have now even faded to green.) There's nothing purple about it.

Sometimes sellers even list these guitars as "blue w/ competition stripe" or even "competition blue" because they don't know any better. But they are officially "competition burgundy", and that's true with or without the purpleburst. Personally this is the first time I've seen/noticed a purpleburst, so I really don't think it has anything to do with the wine. The standard color looks nothing like burgundy wine.

AFAIK Mustangs of this era came in three colors: "competition red", "competition orange" and "competition burgundy", with a little overlap in 1969 of the original "red", "white" and "blue" colors. Those were the official color names. Here's a 1970 color chart, you can see how blue the burgundy color was: http://www.fendermustangstory.com/gphotos/f70color.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is almost the same color as Lake Placid Blue, just a little darker.

I think the name must have come from the vintage automotive world.

terminalvertigo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by terminalvertigo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:34 pm

Candy apple red was sprayed on the edges of the blue to make the purple. Since the red is translucent, red and blue make purple :)
GoodDeals:Jaguar018-Skip-Scotty66-Noirengineer-Panoramic-Soundhack-Tribi9-Stereordinary-Dug-Ginnungagap-Loomer-Eupat-FenderBob-Franco-AWSchmit-PeterHerman-TweedleDee-Diceman-Prospect-Danocaster-Glimmertwin-Jetset-Staytuned-ukfuzz-Aen-Atomicmassunit-MT,etc

bdf83
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bdf83 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:14 am

I haven't seen any guitars or parts of guitars in this thread remotely looking like burgundy ... I am sooooooooooooooo confused
this. plus factor in the fact I'm colourblind and can't see purple and I've got NO idea what's going on...

vortexx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vortexx » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:01 pm

It was listed as Competition Burgundy by Fender for some reason. I spoke to a couple of guys who worked there while these were released and they have no idea why they called it that.
Good deals with: kifla, Pacafeliz, AWSchmit, Curtis Novac, and others

terminalvertigo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by terminalvertigo » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:26 pm

I explained it two posts up 8)

Here's a pic of mine :P
GoodDeals:Jaguar018-Skip-Scotty66-Noirengineer-Panoramic-Soundhack-Tribi9-Stereordinary-Dug-Ginnungagap-Loomer-Eupat-FenderBob-Franco-AWSchmit-PeterHerman-TweedleDee-Diceman-Prospect-Danocaster-Glimmertwin-Jetset-Staytuned-ukfuzz-Aen-Atomicmassunit-MT,etc

vortexx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vortexx » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:35 pm

terminalvertigo wrote:I explained it two posts up

Here's a pic of mine
Nice!

I was mentioning to FenderBob that I usually hang my guitars on the wall but I'm worried that mine might turn green if it stays out of the case. What do you guys think?

kosta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kosta » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:14 am

I gotta think that'll turn green if you leave it out. One other thing to consider – I've had my '65 Jag out in my apartment for a long time now, and all of the chrome has definitely tarnished and the electronics are dusty and scratchy. I'd leave it in the case if it were mine.

Also, did someone say yellowed nitro over Ice Blue Metallic? 8)

I love it!

vortexx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vortexx » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:51 pm

kosta wrote:I gotta think that'll turn green if you leave it out. One other thing to consider – I've had my '65 Jag out in my apartment for a long time now, and all of the chrome has definitely tarnished and the electronics are dusty and scratchy. I'd leave it in the case if it were mine.

Also, did someone say yellowed nitro over Ice Blue Metallic?

I love it!
I love the way that looks!

kosta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kosta » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:07 pm

vortexx wrote:I love the way that looks!
Thanks! Me too. Totally Wired Guitars here in NY put it together. Awesome build.

FenderBob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FenderBob » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:39 pm

FenderBob wrote:Very cool, thanks for posting that, it is a very nice example and perfectly illustrates the inconsistency of what the painters were doing back then. You don't find very many with a non-matching headstock that have such a pronounced burst.
I am correcting myself on this particular example. The original neck on this guitar was the less popular 22.5" scale and somebody ditched the shorter scale neck and installed a early 70's neck (24" scale). I am nerdy and found photos of the guitar before the swap in one of my many folders. :jacked: