NGD Competition Mustang in Purpleburst

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
vortexx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD Competition Mustang in Purpleburst

Post by vortexx » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:21 pm

I haven't posted for a while here, but I still pop in to read from time to time.
I wanted to share pictures of my newest acquisition. It's actually my second purpleburst.

The first one I had was beat up and the blue was green. The purple was still there but it had changed to a lighter purple shade. I took off the pickguard on that one and you could see the original color. What looks like dark blue is actually royal purple:

Now my newest guitar... It arrived from the Music Zoo yesterday but I let it acclimatize in the box for a day. The guitar had no paint checking and I did not wish to cause any checking myself. This is the second nicest one of these that I've seen in terms of condition. There is no yellowing of the paint and no checking. It must have been kept in it's case for most of it's life. These pics are from the Music Zoo. The purple stands out more in real life than in the photos. If you look at the body from the edges, all you can see is purple.

It was expensive at $2,999. but I never had an opportunity to buy one in this condition before. It was a consignment, so there wasn't much leeway in the price.
Good deals with: kifla, Pacafeliz, AWSchmit, Curtis Novac, and others

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD Competition Mustang in Purpleburst

Post by Embenny » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:26 am

That's absolutely gorgeous. I have different feelings about the price I'd pay for a CBS-era 'stang, but that's definitely market value for this guitar in this colour in such amazing condition. Never seen one that nice, tbh. A gem. How does it sound?
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

vortexx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vortexx » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:30 am

I haven't had a chance to plug it in yet but it's very resonant unplugged.

FenderBob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FenderBob » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:05 pm

Congrats and Great to hear from you! That guitar looks lovely, can't wait for more pics!!

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:09 pm

What's the deal with "purpleburst"? Is it actually a different color than Competition Burgundy, or did some just come out like that?

Beautiful color regardless of the answer.

FenderBob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FenderBob » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:49 am

It's a long debated subject, Fender gave blue competition mustangs and some swingers a purple perimeter or burst. It was very prevalent in 1969 but then Fender slowly stopped doing it.
It's strange b/c you can find a 1970 comp. mustang with no purple, but then find a later one with purple. It also seems like some of the painters did it and some didn't.

The debate was that some people thought the purple was the results of the clear coat aging...... but blue and yellow make green.

vortexx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vortexx » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 am

I was working on an article about Mustangs for a magazine. I couldn't find enough new information so I stopped working on it (the magazine wanted more). One of the few things I learned was about the "purpleburst" What I found out was that the purple was very problematic to shoot. The paint needed to be heated and it would sometimes spatter onto the middle of the body which would require having to repaint the body. I have seen a few bodies with drops of purple on the blue part. It's not that noticeable until the blue turns to green and the purple turns to a more lavender color. Cost wise it wasn't worth continuing to spray it. When they switched to a pure blue, there wasn't a drop in sales, so they decided that the purple became costly for them and unnecessary.

Here is an example of a nice one in 'newish' condition. Unfortunately Imageshack lost the photo of the front. I have that photo on a hard drive but I don't know where at the moment.

As Fenderbob pointed out yellowing clear coat and blue makes green. The only way to make purple would be if the clear coat turned red (which it doesn't).

hornz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hornz » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:15 am

I just noticed this 1971 Burgundy on eBay that has an amazing purple burst:

The listing is here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272449863828
hornz
Spin The Black Circle

FenderBob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FenderBob » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:02 am

Very cool, thanks for posting that, it is a very nice example and perfectly illustrates the inconsistency of what the painters were doing back then. You don't find very many with a non-matching headstock that have such a pronounced burst.

hornz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hornz » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:13 am

FenderBob wrote:Very cool, thanks for posting that, it is a very nice example and perfectly illustrates the inconsistency of what the painters were doing back then. You don't find very many with a non-matching headstock that have such a pronounced burst.
Exactly FenderBob - by contrast I have a 1972 Burgundy that has no burst whatsoever and is so greened out that it almost looks like Sherwood Green under certain light.
hornz
Spin The Black Circle

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:41 pm

wow. that is one special guitar! i'm a bargain hunter... but the price is justified in this case. every now and then i'll pay whatever more for something that speaks to me. beyond that, this is something of an art piece in itself!

i love "factory customs"... when they took a classic American design and augmented it. Z28 Camaro, Super Bee Plymouths... they were factory modding for the younger performance culture of the time... little did they know that they were creating a future icon in the process.
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:40 pm

hornz wrote:I just noticed this 1971 Burgundy on eBay that has an amazing purple burst:
That's one of those shady Japanese sellers who's just taking listings from other Japanese sites and reposting them on Ebay with a huge markup. Then if somebody buys it, he goes and buys it from the store and pockets the difference. I'd be totally ok with that if these sellers would just be up front about the fact that they're just running a shopping service, instead of making it appear that they have these guitars in their possession.

Here's the original listing for that guitar: http://www.digimart.net/cat01/shop28/DS03636314/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In most cases you can just buy from these stores directly; most of them even speak English.

surfingonacid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by surfingonacid » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:52 am

Love the way these finishes age/green/yellow. Can't wait for my IBM finish to yellow.

hornz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hornz » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:23 am

spacecadet wrote:
hornz wrote:I just noticed this 1971 Burgundy on eBay that has an amazing purple burst:
That's one of those shady Japanese sellers who's just taking listings from other Japanese sites and reposting them on Ebay with a huge markup. Then if somebody buys it, he goes and buys it from the store and pockets the difference. I'd be totally ok with that if these sellers would just be up front about the fact that they're just running a shopping service, instead of making it appear that they have these guitars in their possession.

Here's the original listing for that guitar: http://www.digimart.net/cat01/shop28/DS03636314/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In most cases you can just buy from these stores directly; most of them even speak English.
Thanks for enlightening me, very interesting, and yes, shady.
hornz
Spin The Black Circle

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:07 pm

sort of off topic.... "burgundy" ... why are we using the word burgundy .... that is a red based colour (Gibson even call their candy Apple Red "sparkling burgundy")

I haven't seen any guitars or parts of guitars in this thread remotely looking like burgundy ... I am sooooooooooooooo confused ???
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...