"Why did you do it? Why did you do this thing to me?"

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: "Why did you do it? Why did you do this thing to me?"

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:17 pm

Actually I just spent a solid 2 minutes looking back and forth across that guitar and I actually think it’s pretty cool, so yr safe for now but I have my eye on you

mcatano
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcatano » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:23 am

Ceylon wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:36 pm
Pacafeliz wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:48 pm

:k
To be completely fair though, this guy saw both the Shortboard Mustang and the American Special Mustang coming.
Looks like a G&L'd mustang, totally rad.
I'm perpetually amazed by this thread's puritanical hatred of fun.

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:22 am

"Cork-sniffery" is the term that comes to mind.

Keep your "Fun" over at Shortscale. 8)

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:54 am

Fun would be giving each string a separate pickup, each with separate outputs, with inbuilt fuzz and delay, and carving the headstock to look like a Parrot complete with real feathers. Oh and making it into a 9 string too.

Moving the pickups and hardware across from a plywood les paul copy then filling the gaps with putty might have been fun in the moment, but now? ... Well it's nice you guys like it I guess ;) ;D

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:56 pm

mcatano wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:23 am

Looks like a G&L'd mustang, totally rad.
I'm perpetually amazed by this thread's puritanical hatred of fun.
But If the end product is going to look like a Jay Turdser why not just start off with one of those instead of a 69 comp Mustang?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:00 pm

Those mods could've been done at any point in the last 50 years. If completed in the '80s that undesirable Mustang would've been worth about $150.

There was no G&L Fallout to buy brand new back then.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:22 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1962-FENDER- ... Sw57Zcu56z

someone call pat. this is so far down his ally it's trying to sell him crack.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1964-FENDER- ... SwHOlchtY8
dude also has this monster
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:22 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:22 pm
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1962-FENDER- ... Sw57Zcu56z

someone call pat. this is so far down his ally it's trying to sell him crack.
I think if it was anyone other than this seller and it was more realistically priced, I'd quite fancy that... looks very achievable

The finish is *exactly* like what's on my Fenton Weill Dualmaster. Yellow, and flaking off if you so much as brush past it...weird!

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:38 am

I have so much hate for this guy... :fp:
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

Kinx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kinx » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:25 am

X-Ray Spex wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:57 am
Kinx wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:18 am
I have to confess, I would rock it as it is :D One of my all time favourite guitars is my mangled '65 Mustang ("Van Mustang") ImagevanMustang by kinx001 kinx001, on Flickr

however, definitely not for 1500 euro that guy is asking ::)
That rules, is that a G&L bridge?
yes sir, I've already described story of this guitar some years ago in this thread.
Kinx wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:08 am
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and I think that my '65 "Van Mustang" fits perfectly into this thread

I found this poor thing on craigslist near Roanoke, VA last year. It has been modded beyond recognition and with very little sense of preservation. Whole body is oversprayed black with EVH stripes over it, tremolo, bridge, original electronics and even pickguard were thrown away and excessive cavities filled with wood filler. In the place of original pickups sat one Bill Lawrence L500 in bridge position and guitar also got new bridge from early G&L asat.
Funkiest mod of them all was probably the replacement of original tuning pegs - previous owner put 3+3 Schallers for LP style guitars, so first three machine heads turned in wrong direction But even in that sorry state, that guitar had something to it. Here it sits with my friend's original unmolested '65 mustang (btw this one was also originally red, as seen in neck cavity), both guitars were made in June according to neck stamps.

I took it home to Prague and had it partly restored. Local luthier repainted the headstock back with clear coat and put authenthic repro decal on it, put in gotoh machine heads, bridge position was corrected (it was slanted a little to the right), I had new neck pickup (SD antiquity mustang II) installed in neck position and put three way selector in place of tone control and installed coil splitting for the humbucker. This guitar rocks ! it sounds so awesome that even few very capable luthiers I know were in ave how can such poor looking thing play so well. Even though only original things that left in there is the wood, frets and most of the finish on the back of the neck, I love it to death. Here it is in it's current state on stage with me playing it

I did some comparison recordings between this guitar and that red '65 you see on the top photo and I was very surprised that both sounded very similar. The original '65 had a bit more twang to it and sounded a bit more springy thanks to the bridge, otherwise Van Mustang sounds very similar even with that crazy hair metal pickup (with coil tap of course).
It's actually one of the best sounding electric guitars I've ever played. Here's a quick clip of me playing it from "czech version of rig rundown" youtube show I was interviewed for

https://youtu.be/x2H8KvHrHLc?t=1021 .

Works great both live and in studio. I'm definitely gonna build myself a Mustang from vintage parts (preferably semi-ruined like this one) in the future.
Mechanical Birds wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:17 pm
Actually I just spent a solid 2 minutes looking back and forth across that guitar and I actually think it’s pretty cool, so yr safe for now but I have my eye on you
:-*
Check out my band, The Atavists ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-HZtrljMg

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:21 am

You make it sound fantastic! Great video, I enjoyed watching you show your rig!
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:47 am

Pacafeliz wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:38 am
I have so much hate for this guy... :fp:
sounds like you've met him
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:00 pm

Kinx wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:25 am
X-Ray Spex wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:57 am
Kinx wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:18 am
I have to confess, I would rock it as it is :D One of my all time favourite guitars is my mangled '65 Mustang ("Van Mustang") ImagevanMustang by kinx001 kinx001, on Flickr

however, definitely not for 1500 euro that guy is asking ::)
That rules, is that a G&L bridge?
yes sir, I've already described story of this guitar some years ago in this thread.
Kinx wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:08 am
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and I think that my '65 "Van Mustang" fits perfectly into this thread

I found this poor thing on craigslist near Roanoke, VA last year. It has been modded beyond recognition and with very little sense of preservation. Whole body is oversprayed black with EVH stripes over it, tremolo, bridge, original electronics and even pickguard were thrown away and excessive cavities filled with wood filler. In the place of original pickups sat one Bill Lawrence L500 in bridge position and guitar also got new bridge from early G&L asat.
Funkiest mod of them all was probably the replacement of original tuning pegs - previous owner put 3+3 Schallers for LP style guitars, so first three machine heads turned in wrong direction But even in that sorry state, that guitar had something to it. Here it sits with my friend's original unmolested '65 mustang (btw this one was also originally red, as seen in neck cavity), both guitars were made in June according to neck stamps.

I took it home to Prague and had it partly restored. Local luthier repainted the headstock back with clear coat and put authenthic repro decal on it, put in gotoh machine heads, bridge position was corrected (it was slanted a little to the right), I had new neck pickup (SD antiquity mustang II) installed in neck position and put three way selector in place of tone control and installed coil splitting for the humbucker. This guitar rocks ! it sounds so awesome that even few very capable luthiers I know were in ave how can such poor looking thing play so well. Even though only original things that left in there is the wood, frets and most of the finish on the back of the neck, I love it to death. Here it is in it's current state on stage with me playing it

I did some comparison recordings between this guitar and that red '65 you see on the top photo and I was very surprised that both sounded very similar. The original '65 had a bit more twang to it and sounded a bit more springy thanks to the bridge, otherwise Van Mustang sounds very similar even with that crazy hair metal pickup (with coil tap of course).
It's actually one of the best sounding electric guitars I've ever played. Here's a quick clip of me playing it from "czech version of rig rundown" youtube show I was interviewed for

https://youtu.be/x2H8KvHrHLc?t=1021 .

Works great both live and in studio. I'm definitely gonna build myself a Mustang from vintage parts (preferably semi-ruined like this one) in the future.
Mechanical Birds wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:17 pm
:-*
I was in Prague in January just before all this went down, loved it. Enjoyed the rig rundown too! What's your band called?
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:34 pm

Wow! It really does sound great!
This is an excellent rectangle

MrFingers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrFingers » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:56 am

1980's Rickenbacker 330 (Not a 360WB, given the mono output. The binding was crudely added to the top, hence the chipping around the edge)