after 40 years I am actually going to get the sound I love

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
sookwinder
Mods
Mods

after 40 years I am actually going to get the sound I love

Post by sookwinder » Tue May 17, 2016 6:27 pm

Australia is a great place to live ... Melbourne has great food and great music... problem is for someone like me, for someone who likes vintage equipment and instruments, there isn't a lot around to choose from. The well looked after / serviced instruments usually stay in the hands of the musos who use it or the very few and far between instruments owned by joe public mum and dads are sold on Aussie ebay, Gumtree (similar to Craig’s List) or in the local second hand stores... but these instruments are never serviced correctly, and while maybe cheap, they will cost a bundle to get back to fighting weight.

So this means even the most crappy vintage amp or guitar sells for way over what it should when compared to USA prices. 8 or 9 years ago I bought a 74 SF Deluxe Reverb and paid around $3k for it. ... and that was a pretty good price for that type of amp locally here in Oz.

Over the years there are some instruments that I have wanted but I have never tried to buy (from the USA or Europe)... basically because of the "tyranny of distance" and what happens if the instrument is not as described. To a certain degree this is why I have bought the guitars (electric and acoustic) from some of the larger (more expensive) dealers in the USA. You pay more, but there is a guarantee that the item you buy and receive will be the same.

But there is one instrument I have loved since I first heard it back in 1975 (when I was 13) but I never thought I'd ever get. A Wurlitzer electric keyboard ... specifically a 200A.... you see I am a keyboard player at heart and this has been my holy grail of instruments … an instrument that it seemed I would never acquire.

Yes there are Wurlys on ebay here in Oz, but they haven't been serviced in 30 years or they are in so bad a condition no one would attempt a rebuild.

Over the years I have managed to locate locally a 70s Pianet T (think something like Fender Rhodes, but without all the added amp and electronics… just plug into a guitar amp and you’re away). I imported a 60s Pianet N (think The Beatles “The Night Before” the Zombies “She’s Not There”) which is great. I was able to replace the old/drifting electronic components on the Pianet N preamp/amp, replace the pads, add some shielding to reduce the noise and it is sounding like it did when it was brand new.

And that is the point... the vintage 60s and 70s Hohner electric pianos have electronics I can understand but more importantly are extremely simple mechanically ... so simple I can fix them without any issues. On the other hand Wurlitzer electric Piano is very much like a normal acoustic piano in their mechanics, then you add electronics on top. I don't have the experience or expertise to repair or bring back to life a near death Wurlitzer electric piano.

But then I stumbled upon the Chicago Electric Piano Company.

12 or 18 months back I saw somewhere... can't recall where ... the fact that there were a shit load of student model Wurlitzer 206 & 206A EPs for sale ... a school was getting rid of their old stock. At the time I thought that someone would pick up them and probably make a fortune or at the very least have a shit load of spare parts. It seems CEPCo bought this job lot of 70s Wurly EPs.

The way I "fell over this fact" was I happen to see that WILCO had had a Wurlitzer restored by CEPCo
http://chicagoelectricpiano.com/custom- ... wurlitzer/
The white one in the centre.
Jeff Tweedy also had a personal one restored.

This then lead me to some other custom restorations they had done for a singer called KESHA (have no idea who she is) but she had a shit hot 200 restored and custom painted:
http://chicagoelectricpiano.com/custom- ... wurlitzer/

Reading more about the KESHA Wurly 200, I discovered it is a restored 206 student model with new electronics ... modern electronics that sound awesome with the additional of a vibrato circuit (the student models 200 & 206A were the 200 & 200A without the vibrato).

The student model

The rebuilds/restorations basically bring everything back to factory set up, new AlNiCo speakers, new electronics, hammers re-felted, everything tuned up just right.

So I bit the bullet... ever since I heard the keyboard player from Lynyrd Skynyrd (Billy Powell) do the keyboard solo from the studio version of “Workin’ For MCA”, back around 1975, I had loved the sound of the Wurlitzer Electric Piano. [then at the time I also discovered Ray Charles used a Wurly on “What’d I Say” …. All I can say is …I was hooked!]. So the time was right … I decided to order one.

I know I have restored many vintage guitars in the past, designed/built my own amps, but life is too short to get up to speed and buy an old Wurly that needs lots of TLC. Having experts restore one for me is the best of both worlds, they can restore the Wurly but also improve it.

I ordered a 206A student model, that would be “chopped” and some new parts added and I decided I also want a custom paint job... not as psychedelic as the one above, but I wanted something other than beige or black or red or avocado coloured.

Did a few photoshop attempts:

Eventually settled on a version of yellow like this... maybe a little more lemon than New York cab yellow.

I would actually love a Wurly in Foam Green, or even a mauve or peach colour, but I have seen bad paint jobs on guitars over the years, where the eventual colour is nowhere near the desired colour. The colour I selected in the end, a yellow/lemon colour, is great and had more chance of being a hue that is close to what I envisaged.

Given the EP is having a refinish, I asked for new keys, new speakers and the new preamp/amp that has been developed as a drop in replacement for the original preamp/amps. A vibrato unit that has both speed and depth (unlike the original that didn’t have variable speed controls) is also added. A 240V transformer for Australian power, switch to turn the face mounted speakers on/off, reproduction legs and a new sustain pedal were also requested.

So after first hearing a Wurlitzer Electric Piano (a 200 model), it has taken 40 years and I am savouring the moment.

I took a day off work today to make sure someone was home to sign for the wurly when the shipping company came past. No one was home yesterday … mind you if they had have bothered to let me talk to the delivery scheduling guy I could have stayed home yesterday. Geeeez I hate call centres that are in some foreign country, who have no ownership of the issues being discussed.

Anyway, 10.00AM today the package was delivered and the guy who delivered it was friendly and a muso as well. Bonus !. Having vintage guitars (electric and acoustic shipped across the Pacific Ocean is always a nervous wait for me, but shipping a vintage keyboard is worse. But in the end it arrived safe and sound, Chicago Electric Piano Co. had packaged it up securely and there was no evidence of any drops or rough handling on the box surface.

Opened up the box and slowly removed every item … fitted the legs to the keyboard, the sustain pedal, powered it up and … wow ! just fucking wow ! what a sound, yeah
after 40 years I have finally got the piano sound (and action) that I love.

The colour looks awesome and I am mightily impressed with the “fit and finish” given this was a chop conversion project of a 206A to a 200A Wurlitzer.

The modern internal preamp and amp seems sound sublime. The speaker switch is perfect, positioned where I can do an A : B test between internal speakers and an amp that is plugged in to the piano.

Tremolo functions nicely and cleanly. Interesting that it has a different “feel” than the vibrato I have designed in the valve amp I will use with the EP, so I have choices there as to what I use, which is good.

Yes this is the more expensive way to get a Wurlitzer 200A electric piano than say restore one myself, but for me it is money well spent on an instrument that will last a lifetime.

Had a cup of tea and I took some photos…

Oh Mr Delivery Man , what can this be ?
(note the 70s style floor tiles and wall colour that is in harmony with a 70s keyboard )
Image]

The toggle switch on the RHS of the faceplate switches the output from the internal speakers to the aux output for an external amp.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: after 40 years I am actually going to get the sound I lo

Post by mackerelmint » Tue May 17, 2016 6:32 pm

THAT. IS. AWESOME. :w00t:

Happy NWD!!! :-*
This is an excellent rectangle

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue May 17, 2016 6:41 pm

That's cool, and I learned a lot. Congratulations!
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

jimboyogi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jimboyogi » Tue May 17, 2016 6:55 pm

Congrats David! The sound of a Wurlitzer is part of some of my have recordings also, looking forward to hearing this one!

grapesoda
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by grapesoda » Tue May 17, 2016 8:04 pm

That's incredible! That Kesha (ahem, Ke$ha) one is wicked, but I love your yellow colour too.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue May 17, 2016 8:07 pm

I want one in pinky-orangey tangerine color.

Or periwinkle. Or turquoise! All those photoshop mockups are soooo cool. :?
This is an excellent rectangle

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue May 17, 2016 10:30 pm

Congrats David!! Money well spent. Nothing sounds like the real deal.

Trout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Trout » Tue May 17, 2016 10:46 pm

Excellent stuff 8)
#sitdownrock at https://staffanandersson.bandcamp.com/album/det-hemliga-namnet

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Tue May 17, 2016 10:57 pm

Fucking great, David! I've been waiting for this post; did NOT disappoint. 8)
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Wed May 18, 2016 2:16 am

good read
great pics
good times!
8)
If OSG has tort me anything...

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed May 18, 2016 3:56 am

Wow, that's some nicely quality orientated work that firm do.

The yellow looks bonny as Broom and hopefully there was minimal mojo leakage in the metamorphosis from hearing aid beige caterpillar to mellow yellow butterfly.

Happy tinkling.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

COLLIDES
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by COLLIDES » Wed May 18, 2016 5:10 am

That is fantastic. I absolutely love the 200a. :-*

rkharper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rkharper » Wed May 18, 2016 11:00 pm

wow

i mean

WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO !!!!!!! congrats! a 200A is also on my list for a long time, and I'm not even a keyboard player!

fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fortytwo » Thu May 19, 2016 10:56 am

I have two 200A's, and this makes me want to get another. :? :? :? :derp: ;D

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Fri May 20, 2016 7:16 am

Soooo Coooolll!!!!!