Online Vocal Lessons/book recommendations.

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
planningtojazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Online Vocal Lessons/book recommendations.

Post by planningtojazz » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:39 am

Hey, trying to get better at singing for the band. Our singer is a excellent female R&B styled soprano. I am trying to open up my voice to be more clear and less nasally. Do you guys have recommendations on how to learn to sing.

A huge help will be if you guys know the best ways to learn harmonies.

I currently have some programs from this website which is excellent and helpful.
http://www.aapproach.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But i am looking to expand my knowledge in any ways. Thanks guys cant wait to dive into the resources provided here.

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Online Vocal Lessons/book recommendations.

Post by scottT » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:52 pm

I volunteer for a choir a couple of times a year. The music director recently asked if I would be willing to do some small group work some time. This caused me to get more serious about my singing, and like you I started looking around for online instruction and books. I decided to give this one a try:

Vocal Workouts for the Contemporary Singer

I'm still at the warm up/basic exercises phase, but there is advanced exercises and harmony (which I can't comment on yet). The exercises are varied and some use actual melodies with "rock", "pop", and "jazz" stylings. Really, they are exercises designed to work on specific things...octaves, fifths, breathing (stamina), flexibility, timing, etc.

There are also lots of tips on proper breathing, posture, practice and vocal health.

The most important thing I find, is just keeping in the vocal chords in shape by doing something every day. The voice really is like a muscle. Since I only perform a couple of times a year, it takes me weeks to build up range and stamina, then I have to do it all over again. By practicing every day (or other day) I feel like I should be ready on shorter notice.