Coiling twisted cables

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
SummerLeftMe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Coiling twisted cables

Post by SummerLeftMe » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:47 pm

I'm not sure where this post should go but I'll try it here.

I'd really like to use the gray guitar lead that came with my AV 65 Jag but the cable is so twisted that it gets tangled very easily. Other cables I have naturally coil and are easy to manage.
So is there a technique to straighten out the twisted cable so I can coil it properly? Or will it always retain the twists it has now?

This is what I mean. . .

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Coiling twisted cables

Post by fuzzking » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:02 am

You can try and dangle it from a balcony or staircase railing for a while. Common procedure with mic cables. But this is usually done directly after use... not sure if it will help with yours. Good luck!
Nobody exists on purpose.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:40 am

was told a method to stop tangling though it might be hard to explain.

When finished with the cable, hold the end in hand with a bent arm. Wrap it in a figure of 8 pattern between the hand and the elbow.

Seems to work, and prevent twists. If its permanently in use its not so useful.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:45 am

jorri wrote:was told a method to stop tangling though it might be hard to explain.

When finished with the cable, hold the end in hand with a bent arm. Wrap it in a figure of 8 pattern between the hand and the elbow.

Noooo that kills the cable!
OK not really but it is bad form when it comes to rolling cables. You want to hold one hlend of the cable loosely in your hand, and just make uniform loops with the other, softly rolling the cable to get it in its place with your other hands fingers if needed.
As for tangled cables, hang m out as said or maybe stretch m out and apply slight heat (hairdryer?) maybe to coerce it back to being straight again.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

SummerLeftMe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SummerLeftMe » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:02 am

Steadyriot. wrote:
jorri wrote:was told a method to stop tangling though it might be hard to explain.

OK not really but it is bad form when it comes to rolling cables. You want to hold one hlend of the cable loosely in your hand, and just make uniform loops with the other, softly rolling the cable to get it in its place with your other hands fingers if needed.
As for tangled cables, hang m out as said or maybe stretch m out and apply slight heat (hairdryer?) maybe to coerce it back to being straight again.

So is the plastic covering that is retaining the shape or is the actual wire bent? I've never heard of applying heat. . . may have to try it.

maximee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by maximee » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:40 am

This is the proper way to roll a cable

I never see guitar players do it that way. It works, try it.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:07 am

maximee wrote:This is the proper way to roll a cable

^This.

I've been using this method forever and all my cables are in great shape.
Plus, I never let anyone 'help' me with the cables. :D
Nobody exists on purpose.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:51 pm

ah well. Roadie advice not always best, i think it used to be 'the' way but they did some science experiments and physics and found it not to be.. I've had some cheap cables for 8 years now though. I usually just embrace the spagetti as i pile all the gear away as quickly as possible after gigs/rehearsal so something quick is best for the impatient among us, or else i end up with the foot long cable i have right now which is really meant to be 6m (haven't done this for about a year on that one).

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:59 pm

This is what I meant, but only the over part! That's how I learned it in school and that's how 99% of the theatre and stage tech's do it here. Only the over, not the under! I've spent hours practicing rolling cables, it was actually part of one of my classes, so now I can say I'm a certified cable roller.. ::)
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

maximee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by maximee » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:44 pm

If you only do the over part the cable will twist, at least in the long run.
By doing it like in the video you're always safe.
Unrolling the cable will be much easier and less spaghetti cable mess.

SummerLeftMe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SummerLeftMe » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:01 am

I've tried the method in the video, but it doesn't work if the cable is already twisted.

The picture shows how the cable looks when I try to coil it. It's not just tangled. .It doesn't coil at all. I wouldn't think it would be hard for Fender to pre coil it. Instead it was sort of figure 8 zip tied in the case so I'm thinking that there is no fixing this.
I don't have somewhere to hang it off of really. I think I would have to have some sort of weight on the other end so it straightens out.

maximee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by maximee » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:43 am

Hang it out the window or off a tree...?
To be fair I think the cables that come with the case candy are not the best in quality.
A couple of years ago I was sick of all the cheap cables and soldered my own and for a few friends.
Way cheaper than the high end cables you can buy and top notch quality.
All of them have been holding up just fine.

Came across this video that illustrates how the twist happens if you don't do over/under.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:33 pm

Steadyriot. wrote:

OK not really [...]
Actually: yes, really! (eventually :) )

I'd try leaving it out in the sun (if there is any in the UK this time of year (sorry ;)) ) for an afternoon to see if it 'softens up' at all. It'll depend on how stiff the shielding is, too.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

electric12
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by electric12 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:22 am

That's the way I try to do it. although late night finishes don't always make it viable :)

I find myself on a constant crusade against people I play/ work with who insist on gathering the cables and tying them in tight knots, coiling over the elbow, scrunching them up and throwing them in a bag etc. and then wondering why they don't work properly next time they're used!

The annoying thing is that often as not, those same people look at me like I'm an idiot, an arsehole (or both) for suggesting that what they are doing is detrimental to their equipment.

cbrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cbrown » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:32 am

The grey cable is staying twisted like that because it's stiffer than the black one, dangling it out the window on a hot day or whatever might help straighten it out, but it's always going to have this tendency to stay twisted. Keep it as straight as possible when you use it and loop it as big as possible when you store it.

I like those Fender tweed cables, they're easy to keep nice.