Drum Machines or Samplers for Live Use

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
ToneFerDayz!!1!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Drum Machines or Samplers for Live Use

Post by ToneFerDayz!!1! » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:58 am

EDIT: Gonna expand this a bit since the original question was a bit limited.

So here's the deal: I'm gearing up for some solo shows in a few months and I'm really reconsidering using my laptop for beats since I'll be traveling so much and don't want to risk it getting stolen or broken (I've got a few dates in America that I'll be playing while I'm home for the holidays, so weight and space is an issue). So, it's time to think of different ways of doing what I've been using my laptop for in this project-- a sort of lo-fi, Suicide-meets-Low one-man show.

Who here is using something like an iPad+controller or a sampler to play beats live? Or are people sticking to dedicated drum hardware?

Also, anyone know what Moon Duo was using as their live drum machine before they added a touring drummer for the new album? I saw them in 2012ish and I thought they were just using a Boss Sampler to play the backing beats.
Last edited by ToneFerDayz!!1! on Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Totally random drum machine question

Post by fortytwo » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:11 pm

Why don't throw those beats onto a Boss Loop Station, and go with that?

ToneFerDayz!!1!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Totally random drum machine question

Post by ToneFerDayz!!1! » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:31 am

fortytwo wrote:Why don't throw those beats onto a Boss Loop Station, and go with that?
That's an idea, I hadn't really thought of that. :ph34r: I'm kind of torn between doing that or having some dedicated hardware for beats just for more flexibility (in case I want to add a new song on the road, for example).

fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Drum Machines or Samplers for Live Use

Post by fortytwo » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:46 am

If you're going to bring your computer anyways, you could just dump all the songs to the RC-3/RC-30, and if you want to change anything, just hook the pedal up via USB, and dump new beats on there, or rearrange, it's really not that hard.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:54 pm

Been considering one of the new Electribe Samplers, but probably an SP555. I'm all about creating live loops/sampling so i think it has to be the latter for me though the electribe is very appealing for doing pre-gig samples. Not so useful i know its more fr the creation of the beats. I agree that you could just use a loop station its probably easier, unless any live manipulation is going on- if not its simplest, but you could even still manipulate with effects of course.

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:04 pm

I like the sound of what you are doing- have any links?

Also, I have two of the Volca Samples. There sounds are Kraftwerk-y and delicious, the lofi sample engine sounds cool when you fiddle with it. I don't know how long an individual sample can be- though, knowing Korg, it will be something weird- but it you just want beats, this thing is dope.

BTW- do you know of a master clock that lets you tap as well as dial in tempos? The biggest problem with the Volca is that it doesn't send MIDI, so if you want to sync other devices to your beats, you need a separate clock source to sync everything up.

I could just use my XR20...

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:39 pm

if your drum tracks are the same for each song then why not just run them from a media player? could even get the sound desk person to control it so you don't have to worry about it. :)
If OSG has tort me anything...

Pink_Elephant
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Pink_Elephant » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:41 pm

Normally I would say path of least resistance, use your IPad or backing tracks, but after spending months using a Korg EMX for drum (and synth, but you asked about drums) sounds for recording and live use, drum machines are pretty sick boxes! Pick up a cheap hardware machine used and learn to use it well, it took me a while with the EMX but once I got used to the different workflow than guitar it became just as natural.

EllisD
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by EllisD » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:20 pm

Hi, I dunno if you've decided yet but I'd highly recommend the older Electribe samplers for drum sequencing in a live setting. You can pick them up for the same price as the volca sampler but they've got a lot more sample space and allow for more patterns to be saved. They're really great for messing up drum samples with multiple layers of effects and making "lofi" breakdowns too.

Tantalus
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Tantalus » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:31 am

I use an SR-16 and highly recommend it!

rustywire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rustywire » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:45 am

All of the above.
Depends on style of music and what you want to be doing in real time.
Playing a sampler like an instrument is most enjoyable.
Midi can be your friend or a big headache. It can be a lot of things, depends on what you want to accomplish and what's available. If you already have an iPad or iPhone and some apps you can do a lot by purchasing peripherals to provide a variety of i/o connections; using the phone/tablet as either the instrument or the controller to trigger other midi keyboards, drum machines, samplers etc. Or you can do everything in the device, as a DAW...and output through the built-in jack or stream it wirelessly. This really is an amazing era for tech. Moog, Korg, Roland (and more!) are back on their game :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:
The hunt is on, and on and on...

Bothand Nether
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bothand Nether » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:54 pm

Omnisphere 2 can be controlled via iPad + mac, or a PC /laptop w/ a separate touchscreen.
coupled with all of the full suite of Spectrasonic's software can do quite alot in building some awesome loops.
I thought this was just the hang drummer, but if You look closely,
it's omnishper's hang drum sample.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY4QEVpgu28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They did an awesome jam this year @ winter NAMM, very impressive stuff imo.

I use a novation nocturn to further adjust stuff on My moog theremini, or protools plugins.
Of course if You prefer building the stuff live, a nice roland snare & kick will do all kinds of beats, too.
A used Drumkat 2 on eBay is good for live durable road triggering.

Record us some stuff when You get yer rig up & running :)
"No short-haired, yellow-bellied Son of tricky dicky's Gonna mother hubbard soft soap me"
-The late Mr. L.