The Synth Thread...

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Re: The Synth Thread...

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:36 am

StevenO wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:12 am

I didn't even know that was a possibility. What's the deal with that? Is it just midi in? As for the tuning, I was wondering if the three way switches could be changed out for four way switches to get the extra octaves.
Yes just midi out. They're back ordered and we're waiting for a ton of them. I think i'll put one in my Rogue. I've put them in a handful of MG-1s and they work great. Re: octaves, you'd have to do a lot more than add switches ;) I'm sure you're aware of that. I've never modded a Prodigy like that but I'm sure it can be done pretty easily. It might be difficult to find 4-way switches to fit in there. You might need external switches to engage the octave shift. We've done several octave mods on MG-1s as it's quite simple and works perfectly.
I keep thinking I should get an MG-1 because they can be modded to be pretty amazing little machines.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:53 am

shadowplay wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:32 am
It always stuck me as amazing that when I saw Glass Candy live (IIRC) it was pretty much just a Minikorg and not a lot else. It's a crying shame there's not been a Glass Candy single since Warm in the Winter and I am DYING for a new album and them playing out because the gigs are just a joy. It must be pretty frustrating for folk who got into his music through it being in films and the like and missed them playing out a lot. My kids would love to see them.

You heard the new solo album Digital Rain? Mrs S has been playing it all weekend.

D
I just bought the vinyl! ...and the mp3 download (even tho i can listen to it on Apple music). I LOVE it. It's probably the most cohesive album he's made. It's like he collaborated with Vangelis in 1979, which I like.

It's amazing how fair and cheap Johnny/IDIB sell their music. It's amazing. A little ways back I ordered a sweatshirt, a T-shirt, some vinyl and some CDs and they threw in some extra CDs and about 4 movie posters! Can't say enough good things about IDIB.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:24 am

OffYourFace wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:36 am
StevenO wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:12 am

I didn't even know that was a possibility. What's the deal with that? Is it just midi in? As for the tuning, I was wondering if the three way switches could be changed out for four way switches to get the extra octaves.
Yes just midi out. They're back ordered and we're waiting for a ton of them. I think i'll put one in my Rogue. I've put them in a handful of MG-1s and they work great. Re: octaves, you'd have to do a lot more than add switches ;) I'm sure you're aware of that. I've never modded a Prodigy like that but I'm sure it can be done pretty easily. It might be difficult to find 4-way switches to fit in there. You might need external switches to engage the octave shift. We've done several octave mods on MG-1s as it's quite simple and works perfectly.
I keep thinking I should get an MG-1 because they can be modded to be pretty amazing little machines.
Oh cool, so I could still run a sequencer into it then? Seems like a better choice than just CV/Gate, right? And yeah! haha, I just meant to have a discrete modification for the Prodigy. Not a fan of drilling too many holes and having switches that don't quite match, but it's not off the table. I'll see what I can get done, in any case. I'm in zero rush.

I really like the MG-1. I've wanted one for a loooong time, and I have no real good reason for it. I could imagine it being an even greater little synth once modded.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:14 pm

StevenO wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:24 am

Oh cool, so I could still run a sequencer into it then? Seems like a better choice than just CV/Gate, right? And yeah! haha, I just meant to have a discrete modification for the Prodigy. Not a fan of drilling too many holes and having switches that don't quite match, but it's not off the table. I'll see what I can get done, in any case. I'm in zero rush.
MIDI is easier to deal with IMO. Re: mods, keep in mind that the synth market is different than the guitar market. Well installed mods don't diminish the resale value of vintage synths. In some cases, the mods make them more valuable.

Kinx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kinx » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:04 pm

Did anyone try connecting yamaha reface series synth to a midi controller? I'm considering buying the yc model because of quite decent sound, reliability and weight (tired of lugging around vintage combo organs to gigs), but I definitely need 61 keys...
Check out my band, The Atavists ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-HZtrljMg

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:12 am

OffYourFace wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:53 am

It's amazing how fair and cheap Johnny/IDIB sell their music. It's amazing. A little ways back I ordered a sweatshirt, a T-shirt, some vinyl and some CDs and they threw in some extra CDs and about 4 movie posters! Can't say enough good things about IDIB.
Yes I've had the same experience and I hear it time and again. They are quality focussed, always priced so well and I think they have the right attitude to reissues. It's a personal bugbear of mine that some of the biggest acts are price gouging swine and so many relatively poor labels operate on a fair priced basis that shames them.

If you don't know Polytechnic Youth you should check them out. Bargain pricing, even for international shipping and just run by decent people. The most recent album is by The Heartwood Institute.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:33 am

OffYourFace wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:14 pm
StevenO wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:24 am

MIDI is easier to deal with IMO. Re: mods, keep in mind that the synth market is different than the guitar market. Well installed mods don't diminish the resale value of vintage synths. In some cases, the mods make them more valuable.
You're right! I just don't always like the look of the mods, personally. That's just a hang up I have. ;) I like things to match. Seeing a bunch of mini-switches and mis-matched knobs (or worse, misaligned knobs and switches) always gives me that "ugh" feeling.

egosheep
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by egosheep » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:28 pm

Kinx wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:04 pm
Did anyone try connecting yamaha reface series synth to a midi controller? I'm considering buying the yc model because of quite decent sound, reliability and weight (tired of lugging around vintage combo organs to gigs), but I definitely need 61 keys...
Yeah, it has 128 note polyphony. You can plug it into a controller and put it on top, use the drawbars etc and have a full keyboard.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:41 am

shadowplay wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:12 am

If you don't know Polytechnic Youth you should check them out. Bargain pricing, even for international shipping and just run by decent people. The most recent album is by The Heartwood Institute.
Haven't heard of that label, thank you! I'll check them out and their roster.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:04 pm

My Soma Lyra-4 arrived from Russia today. Still need to read the manual but I spent an hour making whale sounds.

Not me, obv.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGvFmdclKbw

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:33 pm

I wonder if anyone else here is as much into the new Minibrute 2S as I am: https://youtu.be/zcRG5Z40ROI
I think I'm ordering mine on the next payday. :?

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:40 am

Behringer Model D finally in the house, after preordering last July. I've not owned a Mini, but I have owned a Source and recorded a bunch with a friend's Voyager. I've not played anything else that sounds THIS much like the real deal. It has that "twang" in the envelopes, the largess of low end, and the filter growls the right way in motion. And for $299... I feel like I struck the jackpot. Anyone else get theirs yet?

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:32 pm

Probably won't be getting mine until July/August, since Canada is always behind. I think they sound great based on the clips, which I'm usually not a huge fan of (too dry, I like to have a bit of hall reverb with my synths). Glad you enjoy yours! I have Moog Prodigy and have played the Minimoog a whole bunch. I'm excited for mine to come in!

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:33 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:40 am
Behringer Model D finally in the house, after preordering last July. I've not owned a Mini, but I have owned a Source and recorded a bunch with a friend's Voyager. I've not played anything else that sounds THIS much like the real deal. It has that "twang" in the envelopes, the largess of low end, and the filter growls the right way in motion. And for $299... I feel like I struck the jackpot. Anyone else get theirs yet?
How sturdy is it? Are the knobs big enough to use all the time?

My gripe with te Roland SE-02 was it was too small and it didn't feel sturdy at all.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:57 pm

MaggieO, the knobs are small but the pots are surface mounted and don't wobble like the Roland. The chassis is metal with fake wood end panels. It's more substantial than I expected.