The Synth Thread...

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Synth Thread...

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:11 am

I've found that Muff Wiggler is pretty friendly and knowledgeable, but I'm pretty sure it's just modular synth and no/not much hardware synths. A lot of good general information that applies to all synths though.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:49 pm

eggwheat wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:19 pm
OffYourFace wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:01 pm
You tell me what you think…

https://youtu.be/azsQ-gj-93M
I like it, sounds like an analogue D50 to me.. has those late 80’s patches..which is probably because Eric Persing designed the presets for this and the D50...not sure I’m hearing much relation to the earlier Juno’s though...sadly it was Roland’s last analogue synth too.

I should say that you can make them sound similar. The alpha has more options when it comes waveforms, dynamics and envelope adjustments. When you use the the basic waveforms (saw, square), open up the filter and add chorus, side by side the two sound identical. I just compared the two here at work today to reaffirm my thoughts on this and I still stand by it. Get an Aloha Juno 1 for $300, get a PG-300 and you’ll have yourself one powerful Juno.

The basic sub OSC on the alpha isn’t quite as punchy as the 106 but there are other sub osc pre shaped pulses to choose from to make it punchy and a bit more unique than the 106.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:26 pm

CRAP!

I need a JX-8P type dealy.

Good friend of mine used to have one, and he basically used it to create the nastiest screeches imaginable, with patch names that fit the sound. I always knew they sounded good if you wanted them to, but... I'd forgotten just HOW good. Shitty to program, though, unless you had the programmer.

Now I have to add an MKS-70 to my list. That really just puts my list at 2 synths, but still, they're over a grand without the programmer. They just sound amazing, though. There's something discernibly "more" there than other 2 oscillator synths. I guess it's got 12 technically, but that's 2 per voice. More beef. More cut. The perfect foil for an OB-X clone, you know?
This is an excellent rectangle

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:06 am

The Alpha Juno is a great "consolation" if you can't afford or find a good 6/60/106. I used an HS-10 (a "home" version of the Alpha Juno 1) for many years. A friend nagged at me about wanting it long enough that I wound up selling it to him for cheap. He loves it. I say "consolation" but it's not really. It's a pro instrument and the alpha wheel, once you get used to moving around with it, really isn't that big of a deal. That said, I kept the 106 and will have it to the grave. There's something about the 6/60/106. There's a certain, I dunno, ghostly silkiness, something ethereal and gauzy about the 106. You can dial up more muscular brass patches but I like turning the resonance up and setting long decays and getting the filter to move. It's just a beautiful sound. JX-?P's are great synths too. I wished I still had the JX-3P+PG controller I had in the late '90s. That was a boss of a synth.

I've not yet played a Deep Mind, but I understand the criticism, that it sounds like a plug-in. This is how I feel about the Korg Minilogue I have. I don't care much for it. There's just something, i dunno, "plastic-y" about it. But it's four analog voices in a knobby keyboard and it's a useful tool even if I'm not a big fan of the tone.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:47 am

Just scored a really clean Moog Prodigy for $450. VCO 2 was dead but I found the problem quickly (dead LF353 op amp and I replaced it with a TL082). I need to replace some trim pots to tune it better as the old ones shift if you breathe on them. Other than that, it’s a great synth. I can’t say that it really sounds any better than my Rogue but it is a little “richer” sounding. But it’s really nice having two EGs and the Prodigy is better at getting plucky and glassy tones.

I think what I might do is install MIDI in both the Rogue and Prodigy and flip them. I’ll then put the money towards an old Minimoog. We’ll see...

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:51 am

Damn, that's amazing. Definitely flip them for a Minimoog, if you can!

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:08 am

My Studiologic Sledge arrived yesterday... going out of town for the weekend and won't have any time to mess with it until next week! At least it looks cool.

Local milk person

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:31 am

Since I'm a noob here I haven't read every single page of this thread. But the way some people are talking about their synths makes me feel ancient :unsure:

My arsenal today consists of 2 Kurzweils. a PC3x and a PC3K8.

In years past, (should I say decades) I've had the pleasure/displeasure of owning oberheim ob-1, yamaha DX7/DX11/motif's nord lead (virtual analog) and several Korgs. oh and a brief encounter with a juno 60..

I now have my Korg ipad apps, IMS20 and iElectribe.
Ableton - which I have to say... bores me. (too much effort)

I'm getting older, and after 30+ years of bashing keys my arthrhitic fingers don't respond as quickly or as subtlely as I would like, or remember.

Nonetheless, it's great to see others enthusiasm for the analogue instruments I remember so well. They are indeed timeless. especially the early Moogs. (couldn't afford them in the 80's).

cheers
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:28 am

right now i only have an old Yamaha PS-30 and a MicroKorg.
and the old JEN String Machine.

happy for now... :whistle:
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:48 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:49 pm
eggwheat wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:19 pm
OffYourFace wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:01 pm
You tell me what you think…

https://youtu.be/azsQ-gj-93M
I like it, sounds like an analogue D50 to me.. has those late 80’s patches..which is probably because Eric Persing designed the presets for this and the D50...not sure I’m hearing much relation to the earlier Juno’s though...sadly it was Roland’s last analogue synth too.

I should say that you can make them sound similar. The alpha has more options when it comes waveforms, dynamics and envelope adjustments. When you use the the basic waveforms (saw, square), open up the filter and add chorus, side by side the two sound identical. I just compared the two here at work today to reaffirm my thoughts on this and I still stand by it. Get an Aloha Juno 1 for $300, get a PG-300 and you’ll have yourself one powerful Juno.

The basic sub OSC on the alpha isn’t quite as punchy as the 106 but there are other sub osc pre shaped pulses to choose from to make it punchy and a bit more unique than the 106.
Sure, just from the demos online I heard it didn't really sound like a Juno..and I know a JX8P doesn't sound like a Juno since I've owned both together, playing them side by side..and since the Alpha Juno was after the JX8P..I expected it to sound even less like a Juno!

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:53 am

Dok wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:08 am
My Studiologic Sledge arrived yesterday... going out of town for the weekend and won't have any time to mess with it until next week! At least it looks cool.
Update: It sounds pretty cool, too. Definitely has some quirks (if you want to load a new sample you have to reload the entire sample library, which is DUMB and very time consuming, but fine once you decide on your stock sample base), and the knob-per-function interface is very, very nice if you're like me and you hate menu-diving. The Sledge is a "virtual analog" (aka digital) synth, but I've always been of the opinion that the analog vs. digital debate is rather silly, and my dumbass ears will never be able to tell the difference, especially once you start putting any other instrument around it in a recorded track. My official verdict is that it's very, very fun with a decent-sized community out there trading patches and tricks and tips.

Now, if somebody from Studiologic could please send me a check, I'd appreciate it.

This YouTube channel filled with tutorials is what really got me interested in the Sledge:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvNM5I ... s5Q/videos
Local milk person

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:10 am

I can't get over how good the Korg Monologue is. I don't know WHAT it is about it, but I really love it. My brother is in Italy for a few weeks, so I decided to borrow his and man, I really, really like it. It's so easy to use and sounds fantastic. It has really huge bass and is easy to dial in amazing sounds right off the bat. It also seems to work very well with my Juno 106 as complimentary bass synth.

If I get a chance, I'll record something, but don't hold your breaths!

Now, if only it didn't have a sequencer OR it has the sequencer that is on the Roland SH-01a...
Last edited by StevenO on Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:40 am

I just got a Juno 106 (as a work bonus, long story) and spent the day restoring it and calibrating it.

I really like it. The alpha Juno saw wave is a tiny bit more aggressive but the bottom end doesn’t sit in the mix as nice as the 106.
The 106 doesn’t get as agressive, percussive or plucky as the 60 but it can make some prettier and shimmery sounds that the 60 can’t.
I’m happy to own one now :-)

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:40 pm

I absolutely love mine. I think it sits in a mix beautifully and for all of the reasons why people prefer the 60 to it. It's just a beautiful sounding synth that is super easy to use. I think I find something else to like about it every time I play mine.

Glad you have one!

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:43 am

StevenO wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:10 am
I can't get over how good the Korg Minilogue is. I don't know WHAT it is about it, but I really love it. My brother is in Italy for a few weeks, so I decided to borrow his and man, I really, really like it. It's so easy to use and sounds fantastic. It has really huge bass and is easy to dial in amazing sounds right off the bat. It also seems to work very well with my Juno 106 as complimentary bass synth.

If I get a chance, I'll record something, but don't hold your breaths!

Now, if only it didn't have a sequencer OR it has the sequencer that is on the Roland SH-01a...
I really like our family Kylie Minilogue. I see them snided quite a lot by forum dudebros but I keep seeing them used by good artists live and if one is good enough for Jon Brooks and Pye Corner Audio it's good enough for me and my kids. I recently saw C.A.R (French Canadian expat Chloe Raunet) using one and I really like her new album.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?