Show me your organ!

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Show me your organ!

Post by Orang Goreng » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:46 am

No, zip it up boys, I meant the instrument.

Somehow when I think of the basic line-up for a band, my mind wonders off to the 60s...drums/guitar(s)/bass/organ. The organ just belongs in there. I have this love for 60s garage bands, but even my taste in contemporary music tends to gravitate towards bands that still use organs. Furthermore, a lot of organs are quite droolworthy. I can spend ages on this site. The colours! The plastic! The transistors! The chromed stands! Italy was the major source of 60s/70s organs (even a lot of the Vox ones were built there), and we all know how 60s Italian musical instrument designers loved flashy looks (if anyone needs to be convinced, check this site).

So, I remember from the other place that some of you have some droolworthy ones. Why not post pics?

Here's mine, a ca. '71 Welson Personal Duo. What can I say...it's green!

Last edited by Orang Goreng on Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

John Taverna
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Show me your organ!

Post by John Taverna » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:32 am

:-* links!!!

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:19 am

This is the organ in our house - it was given to one of the guys in the house, and is in full working order. There's a set of foot pedals for it too, but we normally keep them stowed away as they take up too much floor space. I tried to search for information about it on the net, to no avail :(

it sounds pretty cool anyway, even though noone in the house can really play it :)

"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

burker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burker » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:30 am

aw man, orang that organ is truly  :? -worthy.... (god that sounds wrong.....)

I have always wanted to be in a band with an organ, never had the chance to though, right now all I have is a little hohner reed organ, which sounds very Daniel Johnston-esque... I seriously want a cool old combo like yours.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:38 am

burker wrote: aw man, orang that organ is truly  :? -worthy.... (god that sounds wrong.....)

I have always wanted to be in a band with an organ, never had the chance to though, right now all I have is a little hohner reed organ, which sounds very Daniel Johnston-esque... I seriously want a cool old combo like yours.
Man, I'd take that reed organ off your hands!  Daniel Johnston-esque sounds pretty good to me!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

burker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burker » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:49 am

Maggieo wrote:
burker wrote: aw man, orang that organ is truly  :? -worthy.... (god that sounds wrong.....)

Man, I'd take that reed organ off your hands!  Daniel Johnston-esque sounds pretty good to me!
Hi, how are you

Yeah it sounds pretty good to me too, but it cant be plugged into an amp and only has one sound, I really like that one sound though!
I also want that wonderful 60s garagey-psychedelia crazy sound... and LOUD!

SPudnik
Expat
Expat

Post by SPudnik » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:09 pm

We used to have a Wurlitzer dual manual w/ an octave of bass pedals.
It had a rotating speaker-thing inside.

I did all of my Berklee composition/arranging courses on it.
And composed tons of tunes.

Orang - from what I've heard of your music, that sound is a major part.
Cool stuff!
Have you banged on it with the Rubber Shark?  :P
Bass VI - A What?

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:32 am

SPudnik wrote: Orang - from what I've heard of your music, that sound is a major part.
Cool stuff!
Have you banged on it with the Rubber Shark?  :P
Someone had the audacity to say to me "I like your stuff, but do you have to use so much organ?". It's friggin' organ-based music...argh. "I like Sonic Youth, but do they have to use so much guitar? "Goo" would sound so much better with violins." WTF.

I've played it in Rubbershark, but I've never banged on it with a rubber shark, no...
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:58 pm

This isn't mine, but it's the same model and whatnot. The Hammond Chord Organs are a ton of fun and don't sound anything like a normal organ. I love mine and looks great in my basement, next to all my gear. Too bad it weighs a ton(not literally, of course).

Now if only I were better at playing...

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:50 pm

So I guess that's everyone...

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:51 pm

i guess so - and I can't even play mine!
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

Gustav
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gustav » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:05 am

I have a Farfisa Cromwell but I don't have a digital camera. Here's a pic of someone elses Cromwell:

It also doubles as an amp for my guitars (I don't use it as such that much since I got a real guitar amp).
Last edited by Gustav on Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:42 pm

Oh man, I want a farfisa. I played one at a store here in toronto and fell in love with the weird sound. I played the theme from Ghosts and Goblins, the video game, on it and it sounded wonderful. :)

I also want a hohner pianet and then I'll be happy with my keys. Then once I've got that stuff, I'll learn to play. ;)

Mr M
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mr M » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:02 pm

I just got my Hammond Sounder III from the thrift store for $25 I really love the thing! it sounds really awesome and every piano key works, as well as ever sound option, the only thing that doesn't work is the Chords on the left :( but i'm going to dive right into trying to fix it!), i'm also going to cut the bottom off and make a seperate cab for the speaker because it's really light but it's too big to put in my car!( i tied it onto my roof to get it home!!). so i'm chopping off the bottom like i said and and going to fix it up so i can move it easy! it sounds sooooooo nice!! i love it!

this picture isn't mine but its the only picture of one like mine i could find

nealescott
Expat
Expat

Post by nealescott » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:19 am

i have a weird old 70's beast called a "GEM JUMBO 61" it's a really dirty sounding combo organ, with lots of funky switches and controls, i have yet to fully master the controls but it does sound great, sadly there's some kind of malfunction with a couple of the A keys which needs to be fixed.
apocalypse is happenning.