Teenage Engineering OP-1: Anybody tried these things out?

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: Teenage Engineering OP-1: Anybody tried these things out?

Post by Maggieo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:05 am

I feel I should mention that the OP-1 is really, really digital sounding.

Honestly, I'd rather play the MiniMoog app on my iPad with a controller.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Whiny Minotaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Whiny Minotaur » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:32 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:05 am

That’s valid criticism, but honestly the sound isn’t really a factor for me. I’ll probably just rerecord everything using my DAW and synths anyway, I’ll be using the OP-1 pretty much only as a way to generate ideas when I’m feeling bored. It’ll sure beat browsing Reddit or something.

I think I’m pretty much set on buying this thing, now that I think about it :D
soundcloud.com/kkamaguicrow

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:24 pm

I spent a week with one. It is fun and I can see myself enjoying it even for longer periods. The design is genius -- for example, the fact that the rotary knobs do different things depending on what is selected is immediately obvious through the color coding.

What I found though is that with a Surface Pro loaded with Reason and a Korg nanokey I can do much more on the train/plane/automobile. Since I already have that setup there was no point in going the OP-1 route.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:38 pm

Whiny Minotaur wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:32 pm
Maggieo wrote:

That’s valid criticism, but honestly the sound isn’t really a factor for me.
Likewise, the fact that it has an onboard synth capacity is just one part of its appeal for me. I perceive it as a field recorder or audio workstation on the move par excellence.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:11 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:38 pm
Whiny Minotaur wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:32 pm
Maggieo wrote:

That’s valid criticism, but honestly the sound isn’t really a factor for me.
Likewise, the fact that it has an onboard synth capacity is just one part of its appeal for me. I perceive it as a field recorder or audio workstation on the move par excellence.
Oh, absolutely. It's a blast. I really need to replace the keyboard on mine and start playing with it again. :'(
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

vpich
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vpich » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:16 pm

it's a lot of fun and sounds good and you can import samples, record them, etc. very expressive..

..but... i have had 2 and don't rule out having another but it's main flaws compared to my alternatives are:
no quantize. coming from a guitar world who cares right? but when recording a bass line or something rhythmic i like being able to fix any issues. next, only one level of undo (you lift a phrase and drop it right down again in the tape section) so if you overdub something on it (which of course you have to with only four tracks) and mess up the recording you can drop the original again. but that's it.

sounds and fx are wacky and some dirtier than they should be (looking at you reverb) but they do have character and sound good. but same character on everything is not always great.

the main draw is learning and working the tape on this, it IS fun, but i like to work on stuff that can later be taken into a DAW easy, this, with it's overdubs and eventual little pops and clicks (no crossfades by the way) make it harder to transfer useable files than others.

i eventually swapped mine out for an iPad. with a bluetooth controller bigger but not much, and i do lots of stuff with just the iPad. and most great apps export to ableton etc. export to dropbox. great for spending that hour on the train and making a great multiple channel drum beat, which you can then export and mix properly etc.

another great option is the elektron digitakt, although it needs power which you might be able to get from a brick, not sure. 8 track sampler, sounds great.

vpich
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vpich » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:23 pm

here's a video i did last year before i sold it.
https://youtu.be/RuU4pR1lCSc