Casio CT-701 Power Issue

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
Soggasaurus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Casio CT-701 Power Issue

Post by Soggasaurus » Wed May 09, 2018 5:04 pm

So, I saw a Casio CT-701 on ebay a little while back in fair cosmetic but supposedly good working condition that I decided to in a bid on and, lo and behold, I won. I got some seller communication a couple days later saying there was a snag when he boxed up the keyboard to ship it: the power supply jack came out when he tried to take out and took the screws holding it in place with it. He decided to remedy this problem by gluing the power supply to the input so they'd stay together. I scratched my head but hey, he said it worked that way so I didn't say too much. Fast forward to yesterday and I unbox it and try it out. The second I plug it in there are sparks and the power in my apartment goes out because the breaker was tripped. I don't know electronics super well so I don't know what could have caused an overload like that, does anyone have any theories?

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Casio CT-701 Power Issue

Post by oid » Wed May 09, 2018 11:36 pm

Sparks + breaker trip = dead short.

Could be the loose screws/nuts/washers shorted something, could be the jack shorted something.

It maybe fine, but the power supply or something on the power rail could need replacing, or it could be toast, I would just try and get your money back. Either way it would need to be properly fixed and checked out before powering on again.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

Soggasaurus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Casio CT-701 Power Issue

Post by Soggasaurus » Thu May 10, 2018 6:28 am

Thanks for responding, I was guessing it was a short but wasn't sure what else could be going on. I thought about what I did when I plugged it in and I think a tiny bit of one of the wires going to the power jack may have been exposed and touched the side of the port since it's loose, and if that's metal (and it seems like it might be just by looking at it) maybe that's what did it. In any case I am just going to take it in and have someone look at it before I decide what to do about the return/refund.