dumb 1/4" mic question

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
FightingPlankton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

dumb 1/4" mic question

Post by FightingPlankton » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:10 am

So, I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I don't know the answer.
as long as I've been alive mics have had xlr.
I picked up a vintage (80's) kustom pa-10 at a yardsale, and it doesn't have xlr inputs.
I've just been using the line level inputs for my synths and drum machines.
My question is...
Why are the mic inputs 1/4"?
Are they trs or TS? Is there a way to tell without opening it up?
if I WANTED to connect a sure sm58 to this...how?
What is acoustic? Oh, you means a grandpa's guitars? A grandpa's guitars? That's for pussies and grandpas. I think you know it.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: dumb 1/4" mic question

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:26 am

1/4" inputs in old PA amps were very common in the UK throughout the '60s/'70s (and probably beyond), hence leads with an XLR on one end and a 1/4" jack on the other are commonplace. That's what you want to connect an SM58 or whatever; they're probably really easy to get hold of on eBay and other sites if you're not up for soldering a jack onto an existing XLR-XLR lead.

I'd guess the inputs aren't TRS as the jacks would typically be stereo TRS and they're generally mono types, but I can't swear to it.

FightingPlankton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FightingPlankton » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:31 am

Ok, so dynamic mics are fine... I found XLR to 1/4" adapters... what about mics that require phantom power? Use preamp?
I'm not going to use this for mics...just wondering how/why thesee things were made like this. Assuming budget was involved.
What is acoustic? Oh, you means a grandpa's guitars? A grandpa's guitars? That's for pussies and grandpas. I think you know it.

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:22 am

FightingPlankton wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:31 am
Ok, so dynamic mics are fine... I found XLR to 1/4" adapters... what about mics that require phantom power? Use preamp?
I'm not going to use this for mics...just wondering how/why thesee things were made like this. Assuming budget was involved.
I don't think you are going to get enough of a performance difference to worry about using condensers, TBH.

You can, however, buy phantom power (which is what you want, not a preamp (unless the preamp also has phantom power)) pretty cheap.

If you are going to go through all the trouble, just make sure you are getting something that gives you the full 48V in power. I have heard stories of some shady power.

But still, it sounds like your PA is pretty low tech, so unless you have a hypercardioid vocal mic with some ridiculously good side rejection, I think you might wind up having trouble with feedback.

I have never seen a singer using a fancy mic on stage and thought, "Thank god they aren't using a 58!" Personally, I love love love the Shure Beta56 for vocals and guitar. The form factor works well for me, sounds killer.

If you are going to sink money into a kick ass PA rig, I would suggest you'd get a better bang for the buck getting some of those QSC powered speakers and a used Mackie mixer. I have the old version of the QSC K12, which I use both as PA and for mixing. They are friggin' awesome.

You might be able to buy a pair of the old ones I have on the cheap, because QSC came out with the same form factor and have allegedly doubled the wattage.

I mean, they aren't Meyer speakers, but they aren't $10K either. You could put together a portable, loud AF PA for a couple grand, easy. Which might sound expensive, but you will be spared going broke with a thousand $100 purchases. Also, buy them used, and resell them if you don;t like them.

I have had mine for 2-3 years now, use them almost every day, and love them.