Drum Machine? Sampler? HELP!

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Drum Machine? Sampler? HELP!

Post by tdbajus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:10 am

Singlebladepickup wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:02 pm
I've told myself I will buy no gear in 2020... and I will create a solid 60 minutes of recorded music.
If you can pull this off, you will be a hero to us all.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:08 pm

Just for anyone that doesn’t want to program, use an app or perform the drum parts on pads or whatever.

I bought the Beat Buddy a while back, to use with my Pigtronix looper. It activates the looper via midi, and sets/controls the time/loop length. I pick a beat style and specific type, pick a drumset, set the tempo, and then record bass to it on the looper. If I save them, the BB will trigger them both with a count -in, and it all plays back together and I play along with guitar.

They have beats that downloads into an SD card, and they’re continually coming out with new drumset sounds and the beats of actual group’s songs.

So you’re kind of stuck with a either a beat (it will do fills) or a specific song beat, but it works well for my purposes.

Just something completely different (and simpler) from the other suggestions.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:44 am

This is a great thread, I'm a bit stuck though on what I need.

Basically I write songs by myself and play all the guitar/bass/vocal parts myself..

BUT I can't play drums, I can think up the beats in my head but no way to translate them into the real world .

I also write songs that have a lot of dynamics and changing time signatures, so I need a machine I can program to play part A in this 4/4 time signature for 8 bars, part B for 16, drop out for two bars on part C etc, come back on in 7/3 for 4 bars etc.

Does this exist? I'm in preproduction for my new record so having a drum track to bring into the studio for the session guys would be amazing, or when I wanted to go live I could bring to a gig etc.

I definitely would want a physical piece of kit rather than anything software based, I'm trying to teach myself recording but I'm nowhere near there yet.

Thanks in advance for your help everyone.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:56 am

If you are just using drums for demos, there should be a lot of stuff available for whatever DAW you are using. They won't be as FUN as a drum machine, but they will be a million times easier/more convenient.

I love drum machines because I like to play with them. If you don't, you might want to spare yourself the headache.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:51 pm

I find programming to be tedious and a time suck, taking time away from being able to do other things, but that’s just me.

Lots of things will do what you want, it’s a question of the interface you want, and the time you want to spend, as well as how powerful/controllable you need it to be l, if you want to get what’s in your head out of it.

The Beat Buddy is just a pedal. It’s easy & convenient, but it isn’t programmable, so it may not be versatile enough for what you need.

If you learn to program into a DAW type/compatible program, especially one that’s in or is compatible with the DAW you’ll be using to record, I would think that you could apply that knowledge in lots of DAW programs going forward.

You will always need a computer to use it, though, unlike a machine.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.