Drum Machine? Sampler? HELP!

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Drum Machine? Sampler? HELP!

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:23 am

I don't know if Gear4Music is a UK-only company, but they were doing a really cheap MIDI/Electronic kit a while back. I've seen the Alesis Samplepad selling even cheaper with G4M branding, so either the two companies are related or they're both just using the same Chinese manufacturers and Alesis are trading on their brand name.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:31 am

Dok wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:29 pm
StevenO wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:50 am

I just want something to play synths and other instruments along to.
If you have a Mac and don't need a physical device, Logic is perfect for this. I've said it ad nauseum in other threads, but Drummer plugin is amazing, the drum machines it comes with are amazing, the loops it comes with are amazing, and the synths it comes with are amazing. Best of all, it's $200.
Co-signed. I can't recommend Logic enough.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:37 pm

Btw, on my record that i'm doing I've been using Kontact 'Abbey Road' drums. Well, my friend did the program for me and he uses Cubase.
It sounds amazing... I should learn how to use it myself.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:36 am

I bought the Maschine app for iPad. I don't know what it does yet, but I'll check it out this weekend.

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:15 am

So what was your experience with the app?
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:49 am

higgsblossom wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:15 am
Honestly, I used it once and kind of said "meh" and haven't opened it again. I'm sure it's fine, but I prefer physical things. I'm not a software guy and especially not a touch screen guy.

I missed out on a little Roland 626 for cheap, so now I'm trying to track down the 707. The 707 is cheese but I like that tight sound. I find a lot of the 808 sounds to be played out, though I do like the sound when done right. So we'll see what I come across.

I really just want something that has midi or trigger out. Something that isn't too expensive, too.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:23 pm

StevenO wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:49 am
higgsblossom wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:15 am
Honestly, I used it once and kind of said "meh" and haven't opened it again. I'm sure it's fine, but I prefer physical things. I'm not a software guy and especially not a touch screen guy.

I missed out on a little Roland 626 for cheap, so now I'm trying to track down the 707. The 707 is cheese but I like that tight sound. I find a lot of the 808 sounds to be played out, though I do like the sound when done right. So we'll see what I come across.

I really just want something that has midi or trigger out. Something that isn't too expensive, too.
On that note, I came across a bargain Roland D2 today and might have to go back and see if it's still there tomorrow, having checked out some Youtube videos. This looks to me like the kind of thing that might be of interest to you too - good for loops complete with a melodic element, or just as a stand-alone drum machine and a possible bargain buy if you come across one, as they never really set the world alight.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:13 pm

Oh cool, never seen that thing. I'll have to check it out.

There's a guy on our local classifieds (kijiji, not sure if it exists elsewhere) selling a 707 in okay condition for $550. I asked him if there was any wiggle room on the price as two others in better condition sold for less. He called me a cheap bastard, so I told him to burn in a fire. Too high-strung due to my personal life being dog balls to deal with that kind of rudeness, so I thought I'd outdo him. :whistle:

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grey » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:02 pm

^ The one thing I like about eBay, if you use "Make Offer" you don't actually have to interact with the seller.

I had somebody get real nasty with me once over a speaker cabinet at a yard sale, like okay this is your crap sitting out in the yard not mine, if you think it's so fuckin' great then keep it.

King Volcano
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by King Volcano » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:30 pm

I would second the MPC; specifically a MPC 1000. I have used a Korg Electribe too. What I like about both these machines is that you can use your own drum and synth samples and basically program them to play a whole song for you. They also have midi in and out so you can set a looper to them and it will keep your guitar loops on tempo with your drums and synths.

The MPC is easier to make songs in since you can just tell it to play part A part B part A part C etc. The Korg's is a lot cheaper but to program songs you need to make new patterns for each set.. so part A part B part C part D part E etc... kind of annoying, but if your drum and synth parts are simpleor you plan to trigger them on your own its not a problem.

Harmoncj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Harmoncj » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:41 pm

King Volcano wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:30 pm
I would second the MPC; specifically a MPC 1000. I have used a Korg Electribe too. What I like about both these machines is that you can use your own drum and synth samples and basically program them to play a whole song for you.
Yea! another MPC head! that's it for me as well, for example, this is just kind of a coincidence but the mentioned tr707 is one of my favorite choice default sound sets I'll use. You can always choose new sounds, but its the MPC style sequencer that makes a lot of sense for writing guitar music, in my opinion at least.

King Volcano
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by King Volcano » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:33 pm

Harmoncj wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:41 pm
King Volcano wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:30 pm
I would second the MPC; specifically a MPC 1000. I have used a Korg Electribe too. What I like about both these machines is that you can use your own drum and synth samples and basically program them to play a whole song for you.
Yea! another MPC head! that's it for me as well, for example, this is just kind of a coincidence but the mentioned tr707 is one of my favorite choice default sound sets I'll use. You can always choose new sounds, but its the MPC style sequencer that makes a lot of sense for writing guitar music, in my opinion at least.
Yeah, I almost exclusively use the tr707 sounds. I love them. A while ago I found a zip file somewhere on the internet with a bunch of vintage drum machine samples. I figure why buy just a tr707 or 808 when you can have them all!? Not to mention the MPC can just do a whole lot more in terms of programming and sequencing.

Francer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Francer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:45 pm

Drumperfect Pro on the ipad is awesome for human sounding acoustic drums (and probably other stuff too).

I've not tried everything on the market, but I've done some research and read the reviews and for the way I want to use it, I don't see anything else better on the ipad.

Here's the catch, it's reasonably quick to get started but once you start tweaking and dabbling with it, or with any kind of complex song structure it's a massive time thief. Although, I guess this is a pretty common complaint with drum machines when you're aiming to make them sound human - I always found programming my old SR-16 to be a massive PITA as well.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:49 am

I think I might try and get an MPC, if I can. It seems to be right up my alley. If I'm getting a sampler, I do want something that can store samples.

In the meantime, I'd love a TR626 as well. Hope I can find a cheap one.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:03 am

I've been messing with electronics lately, as I can't play stringed instruments atm. Used to have an SP-12 and a Studio440 back in the day. A roommate gave me his Arturia SparkLE, which is pretty fun (for what it is). It's a hardware drum controller and the software can run standalone or as a plug-in. Good thing is you can use it as a XOX sequencer or use the pads for realtime programming. Or use a combination of both. Comes with a giant library of sounds, and you can use it with your own samples. Used ones go for 150 bucks.

But to be honest, I just got a TR707 and a TR909 clone, as I like the old school hardware best. Those big buttons, faders (on the 707), and the lack of menus.

Some low-/mid-priced hardware:

MFB Tanzmaus, MFB Tanzbär Lite, Arturia DrumBrute, Akai XR20, Akai Rhythm Wolf, Akai Tom Cat, Roland Boutique TR-09, Roland AIRA TR-8, Cyclone Analogic BeatBot or DrumDrone.

really depends on what you're after: realistic sounds vs electronic, ease of use, outputs, whether you want to use the internal sequencer or trigger the machine from your DAW, money vs quality... same old, same old...
Nobody exists on purpose.