Drum Machine? Sampler? HELP!

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Drum Machine? Sampler? HELP!

Post by StevenO » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:21 am

So, I got the blue Korg Electribe 2 for Christmas and finally got a chance to play around with it. I'm only using it for the drum machine parts currently and syncing my SH-01a with it. So far so good! It sounds and works exactly as I wanted it to, which is pretty simple needs. I like the idea that it does more, too. I'll eventually learn the ins and outs of it.

Now I want a Beatstep Pro and an Arturia Mini or Microbrute. I don't like the way they sound on their own, but they seem to sound great in a mix. GAS... :fp:

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:21 am

So, I got the blue Korg Electribe 2 for Christmas and finally got a chance to play around with it. I'm only using it for the drum machine parts currently and syncing my SH-01a with it. So far so good! It sounds and works exactly as I wanted it to, which is pretty simple needs. I like the idea that it does more, too. I'll eventually learn the ins and outs of it.

Now I want a Beatstep Pro and an Arturia Mini or Microbrute. I don't like the way they sound on their own, but they seem to sound great in a mix. GAS... :fp:

mbene085
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mbene085 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:46 am

StevenO wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:21 am
I don't like the way they sound on their own, but they seem to sound great in a mix. GAS... :fp:
Ugh, story of my life. I have not yet developed a sense of what sounds good in a mix when auditioning gear solo. I'd save a lot of money if I did.

Glad you're enjoying the electribe though!

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:56 am

Nothing more disappointing than gear that sucks in a band but rocks on its own, or sucks on its own but rocks in a band (lookin' at you, Boss Blues Driver).

ElephantDNA
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ElephantDNA » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:46 am

StevenO wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:21 am
I was messing around on both of those at GC the other day, and I thought they sounded OK. Learned elsewhere on this board about the behringer model d coming out soon, so I'm probably just going to hold out for that.

Did not love the build quality of the microbrute. To me it felt a bit plastic and chintzy, but it sounded OK.

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:53 pm

FightingPlankton wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:40 pm
I've also been looking for a more modern drum machine. I'm still using a pair of alesis hr-16's.
From my research the electribe seems perfect. It's basic and intuitive but has tons of options.
One thing I've really been wanting to do is mod one of my hr-16's to have drum pad triggers. That way I can play with sticks instead of my fingers.
You know you can buy new voice chip EPROMs for the HR16 now? Or you can buy a Prommer and burn your own for only a slightly higher cost. I like those machines - it's kind of lofi even though it's full bandwidth and 16 bit. A bit like the Akai S1000 - full bandwidth but with a sonic signature.

Roland TR707s are overpriced for what they do. A more versatile option is the TR626 which gives more voices (may share some of the 707) and still has a decent number of outputs. That machine is often overlooked and will be half the price of a 707.

Finally, the much more recent green flashing extravaganza that is the Roland TR-08 can have a 707 voice set added and are abundant on the used market as a newer model just came out.

Final finally - if I wanted a standalone all in one box I would go with an Akai MPC. Forget the classics such as 3000 or 60. The MPC1000 is the best bang for buck used but you have to check that it has the later pads or been retrofitted as the first version had issues. Plenty of FX, extra outputs, stable live and camera cards for storage so no messing with ancient Zip drives and SCSI.

Chiediazanna
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Chiediazanna » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:23 am

Following, that's really intresting. To program decent drums is my long time goal. Thank you all.