Array Mbira

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
User avatar
DrQuasar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:58 am
Location: Las Vegas

Re: Array Mbira

Post by DrQuasar » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:38 am

I made one for my brother a few years ago using this basic method. I used street sweeper tines I picked up off the street and made the resonator out of a clementines box. Took a while to gather enough tines. Sounded decent, but you have to retighten the grounding screws from time to time. I should start gathering tines to make another.

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5077
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: Array Mbira

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:39 pm

DrQuasar wrote:I made one for my brother a few years ago using this basic method. I used street sweeper tines I picked up off the street and made the resonator out of a clementines box. Took a while to gather enough tines. Sounded decent, but you have to retighten the grounding screws from time to time. I should start gathering tines to make another.
That's my thought at this point, what to use for the metal tines...
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6947
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: トイレ国、ウンチ市

Re: Array Mbira

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:40 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:39 pm
DrQuasar wrote:I made one for my brother a few years ago using this basic method. I used street sweeper tines I picked up off the street and made the resonator out of a clementines box. Took a while to gather enough tines. Sounded decent, but you have to retighten the grounding screws from time to time. I should start gathering tines to make another.
That's my thought at this point, what to use for the metal tines...
I wonder if it'd be worth ordering a bunch of laser cut jobs in various lengths? That could make tuning easier.
Little old lady got mutilated late last night

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5077
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: Array Mbira

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:42 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:40 pm
I wonder if it'd be worth ordering a bunch of laser cut jobs in various lengths? That could make tuning easier.
I like this idea a lot, especially for the tuning thing. We could maybe use different metals, possibly 3D printed like from Shapeways?
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16400
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:06 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Array Mbira

Post by StevenO » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:06 am

All that sounds mighty expensive and time consuming. Perhaps less fun, but I'd imagine it'd be a whole lot easier to just buy one of those $50 dollar ones you get at a music store and modify them?

I've thought about taking the one I have apart and putting it into a bigger chamber, acting almost like a drum or an acoustic guitar body.

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5077
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: Array Mbira

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:05 pm

I was originally thinking of making my own and finding something cheap for the times, but I haven't decided yet. I do know I do want to do one that has a hollow hole for sound AND piezo pickups.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
egosheep
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1214
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Array Mbira

Post by egosheep » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:41 am

I've long considered the idea of putting a small electric kalimba on a guitar. Either behind the bridge or around the pickguard somewhere... tuned to some sympathetic drone notes. Pretty sure it's been done, but it would be cool.

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5077
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: Array Mbira

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:46 am

egosheep wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:41 am
I've long considered the idea of putting a small electric kalimba on a guitar. Either behind the bridge or around the pickguard somewhere... tuned to some sympathetic drone notes. Pretty sure it's been done, but it would be cool.
That is a SWEET idea!! Like a thinline, but the kalimba has its own hollow section partitioned away from the guitar hollow parts...
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
DrQuasar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:58 am
Location: Las Vegas

Re: Array Mbira

Post by DrQuasar » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:42 am

One of the candyrat guys did it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo9kGHYn_bI

Post Reply