Pedal Steel guitar

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).

Re: Pedal Steel guitar

Postby andy » Thu May 18, 2017 7:50 pm

Strangeways wrote:
andy wrote:I've been playing a Fender 400 model for the last five years and I love it. It is limited in what it can do but I find satisfaction in making it work. If you want to learn modern steel styles than go for the stage one. They are great guitars !

Hey, Andy. Good to see more steelers over here. I've thought about picking up something like a 400 for C6. What tuning are you using on it?

I'm using an E9 tuning (like a ten string but without strings one and two. I've got six pedals on mine. The first three are a standard Emmons setup. Pedal 4 lowers the E's, P5 lowers the D to a C, and P6 raises the high E to an F# for quick pentatonic fills without raising the high B to a C# like P3.
Send me western swing vids
andy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pedal Steel guitar

Postby Strangeways » Tue May 23, 2017 9:50 am

Interesting. So, no levers on it? Did the Fender 400 ever have levers?
Strangeways
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Pedal Steel guitar - it's here!

Postby my bloody television » Tue May 23, 2017 5:18 pm

well, it arrived tonight! I have to say, it is a very intimidating instrument on first go. After familiarizing myself with the tuning a bit I feel like I could start to get the hang off this, but it'll definitely take some serious 'shedding.

here she is:
my bloody television
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pedal Steel guitar - it's here!

Postby Strangeways » Wed May 24, 2017 10:28 am

my bloody television wrote:well, it arrived tonight! I have to say, it is a very intimidating instrument on first go. After familiarizing myself with the tuning a bit I feel like I could start to get the hang off this, but it'll definitely take some serious 'shedding.

here she is:

Congrats! You're in for a hell of a ride. It is a bit intimidating at first. I would strongly suggest spending a lot of time on right hand technique first and foremost. There's a lot going on while playing but your right hand is the captain...err anchor. If you've done much in the way of fingerpicking on guitar, banjo, etc., you'll have a leg up. This book helped me get going - https://www.amazon.com/Pedal-Steel-Guit ... 082560169X. Tons of info on the steel guitar forum as well!
Strangeways
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Previous

Return to Other instruments