Rocksmith Cable Hiss

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
jd.pt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Rocksmith Cable Hiss

Post by jd.pt » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:48 am

Hello,

I recently moved to an appartment, and only can play at night, with headphones.
I mainly like to record ambient and drone music with loops and layers of sound.
Anyway, I recently made a thread to get recommendations for headphone amp, and I know the Orange Micro Dark or the Yamaha THR10 are great solutions, but money is tight these days and never got to buy anything, and don't even know if it would improve my situation, since I want to record mostly.

(My old setup was Guitar -> pedalboard -> Fender Super Champ XD -> shure sm57 -> Berhinger XENIX 302USB -> Audacity)

I started using Reaper with a Rocksmith cable and my pedalboard (guitar -> pedalboard -> reaper with guitar rig), and works fine, but there's an annoying noise/hiss.
The guitar is fine, did a setup the other day.

The only thing I can do to reduce the hiss/noise, is to reduce the treble on the "amp" (the amp on the guitar rig 5) to like, zero, but this makes the sound just fine, but too muddy. No hiss or noise, but muddy.

Does anyone have experienced this, have any idea?

As an alternative to the rocksmith cable, I have an Berhinger XENIX 302USB, but for my surprise, the Rocksmith cable seems to work better with guitar rig 5.

If anyone have a sugestion, like a tweak on my setup, some vst, some trick, some not very expensive upgrade that is a safe upgrade, I would be very grateful.

By the way, I tried without the pedalboard, because I have a lot of pedals, but the problem remains.

Sorry for my english, not my main language.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Rocksmith Cable Hiss

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:13 am

Can you borrow a passive direct box and try between your pedalboard and the mic input on the Behringer mixer?

Or if you have a friend with a USB interface with a high Z in try that in your own setup as a test.

jd.pt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jd.pt » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:27 am

marqueemoon wrote:Can you borrow a passive direct box and try between your pedalboard and the mic input on the Behringer mixer?

Or if you have a friend with a USB interface with a high Z in try that in your own setup as a test.
Hey, thanks for the reply!

I have a Mooer Micro DI Box I bought for some tests somewhere, I need to find it. Is this one passive or active? I can't find any info about that.

And what is high Z? Can you give me some examples? Thanks a lot

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:31 pm

jd.pt wrote:
marqueemoon wrote:Can you borrow a passive direct box and try between your pedalboard and the mic input on the Behringer mixer?

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I have a Mooer Micro DI Box I bought for some tests somewhere, I need to find it. Is this one passive or active? I can't find any info about that.

And what is high Z? Can you give me some examples? Thanks a lot
Z as in impedance. A guitar output is high impedance, while a mic is low. A direct box matches the impedance between a guitar or bass's output and what a mixing console wants to see. Passive or active does not matter much for this test. I only suggested passive because it's cheaper and having no onboard electronics not likely to introduce noise of its own.

I think you are probably correct about the Rocksmith cable, although it's not just a cable from what I understand - It's an analog to digital converter that's powered by the 5V on the USB connection. It has a lot of work to do.