Headphones for guitar - Sennheiser 598 disappointment

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
blackbox
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Headphones for guitar - Sennheiser 598 disappointment

Post by blackbox » Mon May 02, 2016 10:18 pm

Bothand Nether wrote:It also might have to do with the Ohmage of the cans, possibly?
I kinda think today's amps are more for lower ohm headphones, even daw opamps.

Having had the pleasure of borrowing a Kemper KPA for nearly a Year,
I got a different set of headphones for referencing just guitar (specifically distortion)

I've used AKG K240s for referencing & casual tracking all My life, so I did a lot of research before I tried some new phones.
I ended up returning 2 different sets of open cans (Sennheiser & AKG), both were advertised as being for studio use.

Both sets were bass heavy compared to My studio 2.1 monitors, and seemed fairly lifeless to me above 1k, as well.

Then I tried a friend's set of electrostatic "Ear Speakers" & it's preamp thingy from Stax and got what I needed, frequency-wise.

I can't really afford a good Stax rig, but I did some more research and found out that
AKG once made a set of electrostatic/dynamic hybrid headphones that had traditional low end, but electrostatic mids/highs.

The original AKG340 (not the new earbud) are almost vintage,but may be worth checking out.
-if You really need to hear things differently than your current set.

They made a "bass heavy" as well as a mid & a high -favoured set, I got the mid fwiw.
Head-fi has a good deal of info on them.(as well as a guy that mods them, of course)

I got them on ebay and am quite happy with how they sound, needing as flat a response as possible.
& I like playing on the edge of distortion, so these help me when I need to listen closely to that edge.
Interesting insights, thanks.

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Headphones for guitar - Sennheiser 598 disappointment

Post by soggy mittens » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:44 pm

All headphones have their own unique sound and usage right? So these cans were not the right choice for what you set out to use them for. This is not a reflection of the headphones per se.
If OSG has tort me anything...