Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bringing Vocals Forth - New Remix Paqe 4

Post by rhythmjones » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:07 pm

Hey guys. New mix up.

https://soundcloud.com/rhythmjones/plas ... 515-937-pm

Again, thanks so much for all the help. Of course y'all are under no obligation to keep coming back to this old song over and over again. But I really do appreciate it.

A bunch of y'all's ideas are implemented here, and I think I'm really getting there. New vocal performance, triple tracked, better transient control and compression (still over compressed, maybe?) lots of high and low passes to help lift the blanket.

This is definitely the poppiest song on our record. I don't mind a bit of raw lo-fi (as Brad said, charming bedroom recording). We're going for a Clouds Taste Metallic era Lips meets Apples in Stereo - Travellers in Time and Space kind-of vibe. But this is the single so I want to get it right.

If I can't get it right, we'll go to a pro (Paul Malinowski from Shiner is a family friend, and his studio here in KC is where we usually) but unfortunately, money is an issue, so I'd like to give it a go.

Thanks!
- Mitch

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:50 am

Hey I lost track of this thread.... I think the frequency balance is much better now, but (sorry to say) it's way overcompressed now... bass is a bit too loud, top end is a tad too harsh. What DAW do you work with? In case you got Pro Tools, I'd be happy to give it a try.
Nobody exists on purpose.

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:09 pm

Hey guys. If anyone is still following, I've got a new mix. I brought out the low end, completely restructured the kick drum and bass. Then I cleaned up the EQ and did a quicky master.

I'm really happy where it is now. The original question of losing vocals in the mix is long over. Now I'm just tweaking and finalizing.

I'd, of course, love to get more feedback.

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/rhythmjones/plastic-heart-11-11
- Mitch

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:14 pm

Last edited by rhythmjones on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Mitch

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bringing Vocals Forth - FINAL MIX Paqe 4

Post by jorri » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:20 pm

Don't know how to put this, but what happened to the master? Why is it so much quieter despite being compressed and sounding like it had just been put out of phase with itself.

The mix before 11-11 is pretty good in fact, i like that one and i don't think anything much would need doing to that IMO, its actually the kind of music where so much mastering isn't necessary... IMO i'd really go for this one instead, as it is, just some advice.

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:27 pm

Last edited by rhythmjones on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Mitch

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:22 pm

Yeh it might be something like that. I've not had the problem with soundcloud. Maybe media player is adding some plugin or EQ you chose to listen to, i don't know the ins and out of that. Usually i upload original file, or just convert to mp3 if its in wav using something simple.
You can tell its quieter, soundcloud displays the visual levels too so it looks obvious. I'm sure it can't be done so bad from a mastering house, as you say if the original sounded fuller.

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:12 pm

- Mitch

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:51 am

This is out now, BTW:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=98196
- Mitch

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:40 am

Here are my suggestions for getting vocals to "sit".

A great vocal performance is the key to it all. A vocal without the right energy for a song will never sit right, no matter what you do to it. I personally prefer to track with compression, or at the very least monitor with compression when tracking. I sing much better this way. Monitor mixes are also super important for getting pitch and timing down. Sometimes leaving elements way down in the monitor mix or completely out and bumping up others is the way to go. Don't forget monitoring level too. Are you going for a whisper or a scream in the performance?

Spending some time selecting the right vocal mic is also worth doing. It's not always the nicest mic that works the best in the context of the mix.

High pass filters are my favorite form of eq. Usually there is some mud that can build up from all the low frequency content in a mix that can start to mask the important stuff.

The right type and amount of reverb is super important. Often this is most of what it takes to carve out a little space for the vocal to live in. It has to be appropriate for the singer's voice and work in the context of the music.

Distortion can be a good thing. A compressor or plugin that introduces a little can add some harmonics that make an element in a mix pop. It can sound gimmicky when obvious on a vocal, but is great for things like snare drums when you want a little more presence without raising the volume.

Automating vocal levels can work well for small changes. Sometimes all that's missing is a little clarity on a word or two. This can be *really* hard to judge if it's you doing the singing, or you've heard the song a million times. Ask someone who doesn't know the lyrics (provided you want them to be understood of course).

Listen to some reference music that's similar to what you're after with your mix. How is the apparent level of the vocals compared to everything else and how did they get there? A lot of times for me the answer is "Hey, they're just a lot louder than everything else." and I have to figure out how to get everything else in my mix to still sound good and have the appropriate energy at a little lower level compared to the vocal.