Wanna hear my music?

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
Telliot
Mods
Mods

Re: Wanna hear my new song?

Post by Telliot » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:24 am

StevenO wrote:You're too hard on yourself! A year or two ago, you sent me a bunch of your stuff. I loved it! Up until I spilt coffee on my macbook, I used to listen to your stuff very often. Very. Often.

Such talent on this site.
Thanks Steven! I had no idea you liked them enough to listen on a regular basis! I remember we exchanged some music and I had a link to some live recordings of your band which I quite liked. Have you been doing any recording lately?

If I'm being objective, I guess I am too hard on myself. It's that inner critic that plays with my confidence, maybe. But there's also the fact that my music tends to be more mellow; 'sensitive' is a word some people have thrown around when describing what I do, which has always bugged me.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

sears
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sears » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:22 am

It sneaks up on you. I like the counterpoint between the bass and singing.
maskedsuperstar.bandcamp.com

j.harv
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by j.harv » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:14 pm

Really nice! And i really like "if she stays,I 'll be alright" what did you use to record the vocals for If she stays? Very nice and airy.Sits well in the mix.
Well done

pacemaker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pacemaker » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:21 pm

This tune, like your other tunes, is great. You have such a nice use of dynamics in your recordings. I'm glad you put some stuff up on Soundcloud - you should be proud of these tunes and put yourself out there some more. It's top notch stuff.

choicepick
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by choicepick » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:25 pm

hey man really liking the first song "I'm fine", like the changes in the instrumentals gives the song an openess when a new guitar part/sound comes in, trying to learn how to do that effectively myself! And that's really cool that you're getting into music/writing/recording even though you're married with kids, props. I have a friend who just started learning guitar a bit later in life and it's just so great to see/hear

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:12 am

I liked this, nice and intimate, it has that 'singing in your ear' feel. However, in contrast to the person who wanted you to go all out a bit more at the end, I'm not as keen on the louder, strummy end and I was thinking you could have faded out at 2.18. It's a personal thing but I feel it starts off charming, chiming, musical boxish, individual and sort of retro-modern and ends up sounding a bit less individual and standard rock pop IMO.

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are you loathsome tonight?

pepsicola
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pepsicola » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:36 am

This is inspiring! Giving me ideas :shifty:
"I ate all the biscuits again. Girlfriend's not happy...aint your girlfriend french?...What's that got to do with biscuits?
...im not sure."

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:52 am

:ph34r:

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:39 pm

:o

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:57 pm

:w00t:

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:04 pm

parry wrote:
Telliot wrote:Thanks guys! I'm very appreciative of your kind words, they mean a lot!
JazzBlaster wrote: I agree with your friend, if this is what you're doing I could stand to hear some more.
As soon as I read that, I thought, ohgod....I'm not sure my other songs are as good as this one...! And so begins the cycle of self-doubt that I've suffered from my entire creative life.

I really think it's something that has kept me from ever seriously pursuing a life in music, and now I'm 41, married, with 3 kids and a mortgage. Not in any way bad, but different than I imagined 20 years ago. Anyone else suffer from this disease?

I can honestly pinpoint its origin, which would be my parents' general lack of support in this venture growing up. It seems so lame to blame my issues on them, but their harsh criticisms, insistence that it was a dead end, and telling me I wasn't good enough to be a professional really stunted my growth, I think. Even now, as a grown man, I can hear their disapproval in the back of my head when I sing a particular lyric, or decide to use a major three chord, when I should have used a minor, etc... That shit is really powerful, something I won't be passing on to my kids.

Sorry for the personal backstory dump...
Sorry... did I sell you the rights to my life story?
I'm confused...
Ha, I can entirely relate. I'm a classically trained cellist, originally. Went about 80% of all the way: had finished my grades by the age of 14, did my advanced certificate, was thinking about getting my diploma... but alongside it, I'd discovered playing in bands. And - don't get me wrong, I loved the cello - but the blast I got, and still get, from loud pop music just kicks the SHIT out of being part of a great orchestra, even a great quartet. For me, that is.

My parents were NOT keen. I was a naughty kid, cello and English were the only things I really succeeded at before the age of 16. They worried that playing rock music was going to be the fast track to drugs and hoors (whereas I only HOPED it would be). They entirely didn't support it, until they found out I'd blown my savings account on a guitar, behind their back. I'd had the guitar for maybe a year and never brought it home. Kept it at school. And even when it was a fait accompli, they were very sceptical for a long time.

I adore my mum and dad, but they messed that one up. It made - and still makes - it very difficult to put my stuff out there. Nowadays that manifests as an inability to be in the room when someone is listening to a record of mine, which is at least an improvement. I didn't used to let anyone know I was even writing anything.

Oh, and Telliot - you have NOTHING to be shy about, mang. I dig. 8)

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:08 pm

idiotbear wrote: They worried that playing rock music was going to be the fast track to drugs and hoors (whereas I only HOPED it would be).
It isn't? :-[

Yeah it is :shifty:

(individual experience may vary)

sears
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sears » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:15 am

Telliot and Idiotbear, I'm crying a little at your stories. I'm the same way and for the same reason.
maskedsuperstar.bandcamp.com

AndyC.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AndyC. » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:19 pm

That sounds so awesome!

First thought: Love the vocals.

Second thought: Love that dreamy guitar.

Third thought: Love the lyrics.

It's all so good!

Salome
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Salome » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:20 am

Just saw this thread and really enjoyed the song! I've done some studio and production work in LA and I showed this to one of the guys I know out there and he really dug it! Keep it up man, you really have something worth pursuing here!