Cheap way to record for my new MBP

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
BenHagerty

Cheap way to record for my new MBP

Post by BenHagerty » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:04 pm

I am going to gave and get a macbook pro this friday.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/produc ... andcables/

Is that any good? I just want to do some rough stuff for now

Meshuggahnans
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Cheap way to record for my new MBP

Post by Meshuggahnans » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:16 pm

I guess if it's what you need its fine.  It's probably just as good as any other cable, just this one doesn't need the adapters you do.    What exactly are you planning to do?  Maybe I could help you out a bit more if I knew.

One thing I can say right away, is that be careful of recording on laptops.  The problem comes in that laptop harddrives are never as fast as desktops, check out some external hard drives to remedy this - I hear they are very cheap these days.

BenHagerty

Post by BenHagerty » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:29 pm

I just want to get guitar onto my computer to mess around with

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:42 pm

Meshuggahnans wrote: One thing I can say right away, is that be careful of recording on laptops.  The problem comes in that laptop harddrives are never as fast as desktops, check out some external hard drives to remedy this - I hear they are very cheap these days.
It's true but I have an iBook G4 and the Ableton live software and you could never imagine how much tracks I can play while recording other ones (usually 1 or 2) !  :o
I guess it's not only a matter of HD speed but also how the computer system, the audio card and the software you're using manage memory and HD access.

If I can do such things with an iBook G4, you're surely be able to do at least twice with your macbook pro !
Once you're lost in twilights's blue, you don't find your way. The way finds you...

Meshuggahnans
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meshuggahnans » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:14 pm

Oh for sure, Koyl -- you're totally right --- hard-drive speed  is definitely NOT the only important thing in recording, but its almost always the weakest link in the digital chain when it comes to lap tops.

For what you are doing you might want to check out the Beringer Ultra G GI100.  I HAVEN'T used it, as you might have guessed from the thread I created about it.  But it seems like the perfect thing for hobbiest guitarist and at the perfect price!

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:26 am

With 2GB of RAM I can't play back but a few tracks with a couple effects on my desktop.  I'm sure if they were all dry I could get around 8 or so but using Amplitude and stuff like that is pretty RAM intensive.  I've pretty much given up recording because of it... at least until I buy a new desktop next year.

northern_dirt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northern_dirt » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:27 am

BenHagerty wrote: I just want to get guitar onto my computer to mess around with
This looks like something affordable and easy for that purpose

http://www.stealthplug.com/Main.php?prod-SP.php
'cleanest, best pleasure'

northern_dirt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northern_dirt » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:30 am

Meshuggahnans wrote: Oh for sure, Koyl -- you're totally right --- hard-drive speed  is definitely NOT the only important thing in recording, but its almost always the weakest link in the digital chain when it comes to lap tops.

For what you are doing you might want to check out the Beringer Ultra G GI100.  I HAVEN'T used it, as you might have guessed from the thread I created about it.  But it seems like the perfect thing for hobbiest guitarist and at the perfect price!
There's talk of using Flash drives for Laptops to increase speed.. cost is an issue, but thats what you get with lap tops..

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:59 pm

BenHagerty wrote: I am going to gave and get a macbook pro this friday.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/produc ... andcables/

Is that any good? I just want to do some rough stuff for now
Technically speaking, yes, those will work in order to get sound into your computer.  You'll still be plugging into a commercial-grade soundcard, however, which is not necessarily optimized for peak recording quality and playback.  It'll allow you to start playing around with it though.

The IK StealthPlug or M-Audio JamLab are basic, inexpensive USB interfaces that might perform a little better, in the range of $50-$70.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

soundhack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soundhack » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:26 pm

that griffin cable will connect your guitar pickups directly to the apple input. i imagine that the apple input is probably not designed for guitar impedance, and you will lose high end sparkle and transients. it will give you sound though

if you go into a usb interface that's designed with a high impedance input, you should be fine.

the other option is to go through a buffer pedal or preamp (like the behringer sansamp clone), so that you buffer the guitar pickups from the mac input.

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:30 pm

Just a quick thing: I have a MacBook with a 2.0Ghz duo processor and 2Gb of RAM. It runs Logic Express with no issues, and that's with (so far) up to 8 guitar tracks, a bass stereo pair, midi drums through EZDrummer, vocal stereo pair and 4 tracks of mono backing vocals. No issues whatsoever. It doesn't even blink.

northern_dirt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northern_dirt » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:38 pm

Hows EZ drummer?.. Ive seen a demo at a music store..
I don;t know if I wanna go with that, addicitive drums or BFD...

They all sound pretty good.. I like EZ cause its cheaper, and has expansion sets that don't cost a million bucks..

I like all three of em cause they eliminate the need for a drummer hahah..

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:40 pm

EZDrummer is great. I don't think you're gonna need the expansion packs, though - there's four options for each drum just on the basic kit. I get a really good sound out of it - not in the least bit poppy, but big and hollow and a bit splashy, which is how I like my drums.

northern_dirt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northern_dirt » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:20 am

noirengineer wrote:

or get a drummer to play with you!
I hate drummers.. I hope to never work with one again

northern_dirt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northern_dirt » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:39 am

noirengineer wrote: lol    :D

good point, drummers do suck!

however, drums are cool tho.

kind of a catch 22, right?
I dunno.. ive been liking the sound of the BFD,
Addictive drums and EZ drummer demos Ive been given at music shops..

No need for 5 sets of drums.. or $5000+ worth of recording front end..