Ribbon Mics

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
lalalandstudios
Expat
Expat

Ribbon Mics

Post by lalalandstudios » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:00 pm

This months Guitar Player magazine has a one page article on using ribbons to record electric and acoustic guitars. Nothing earth shattering, but for those interested in trying a ribbon on your guitar amp (or acoustic for that matter) there are a couple of cool tips, and a list of alot of relatively affordable ribbons. Not online yet, but look out for it if you're interested...
I'm a reasonable man get off my case...

nealescott
Expat
Expat

Re: Ribbon Mics

Post by nealescott » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:53 am

8)

oooo ooo i wanna get a ribbon, there was an auction for an old 'argonne' mic on ebay this week, looked amazing! (RCA styling)..

soo, which 'affordable' mics do they suggest?

apocalypse is happenning.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:38 pm

the AEA R84 looks a lot like that and sounds amazing for $1000.

I haven't seen the article, but Tape Op has been featuring ribbon mics in their reviews for months...I guess it's a trend. The Cascade Fat Head, Shiny Box 46 and Nady RSM-2 have all been well received for project studio applications. All under $300 I think. Shiny Box offers two transformer upgrades that up the price and performance...I'm considering the Lundhal (SP?) version...because he's in the Seattle area. The Fat Head is supposed to get a Jensen upgrade soon and looks like a giant Lollipop...it is the only one not based on the Nady design.

Most of the budget ribbons are based on the Nady design built in China...Shiny Box does the upgrades similar to the Oktava mods to make it a bit better, but you could mod the Nady and get similar results.

The AEA, Coles 4038, Royer R122, Beyer M 160 and the Oktava all have their own design, but cost quite a bit more. I'm sure with the focus on ribbons that more companies will offer them soon. Rode, I think has one, but Shure and  Audio Technica don't yet. At least not budget models.

Since they're delicate mics  wouldn't buy a vintage one on eBay expecting it to work right out of the box.
sleeping on a bed of fuzz and feedback

TheMilford
Expat
Expat

Post by TheMilford » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:06 pm

I use a Beyer M-160... I sounds great as a drum overhead and on guitars.

I might try it on the VI when we track in Novemeber.
Last edited by TheMilford on Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://seasonfinale.bandcamp.com/
http://www.tronographic.com/

scottme
Expat
Expat

Post by scottme » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:50 am

I use an Octava ML52. Unmoded sounds so-so, but I'm looking forward to getting a new tranny and top housing, which should rip! Rather cheap in comparison to Beyer, Coles etc.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:26 am

I've been lusting after a Royer ribbon for a while (thanks, TapeOp!), but I think I may actually lay out the bucks for a Cascade Fat Head, which got a stellar review in the last TapeOp.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:04 pm

Are the Coles ribbon mics a little cheaper used if you get the earlier versions - what are they, STC brand or something like that?
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."