Expat

Re: Ebay binge!!

Post by mjet » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:47 am

zhivago wrote: I got:

two mic stands,
one USB audio interface,
and a set of thumb picks!

my personal acoustic record/project is slowly getting there ;D
Which USB interface did you end up going with?
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:02 am

I got one of these:

used for £50 on ebay :)
Resident Spartan.

jgs61
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jgs61 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:03 am

I've got the same M-Audio interface. It works pretty well for me for throwing quick stuff on my computer. I'm slowly trying to get back into using an old Tascam 4-track. I used to use one a lot when I was younger and liked them.

What kind of thumb picks did you get? I've been having trouble finding ones that I like. A lot of them seem to have a very stiff attack that I can't get used to.

Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pingu » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:05 am

It looks sort of plasticy, but has a good reputation from what I understand, though I must point out the irony in recording very expensive guitars through a budget interface  :P

What sort of software are you getting?
"Anything that doesn't take years of your life and drive you to suicide hardly seems worth doing." - Cormac McCarthy

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:37 pm

Pingu wrote: though I must point out the irony in recording very expensive guitars through a budget interface  :P
into an expensive macbook pro...  ;)
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

Indiepop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Indiepop » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:17 pm

Ebay binges are the best  ;D

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri May 01, 2009 12:26 am

jgs61 wrote: I've got the same M-Audio interface. It works pretty well for me for throwing quick stuff on my computer. I'm slowly trying to get back into using an old Tascam 4-track. I used to use one a lot when I was younger and liked them.

What kind of thumb picks did you get? I've been having trouble finding ones that I like. A lot of them seem to have a very stiff attack that I can't get used to.
I haven't owned any thumb picks before, so I thought I'd start off with the metallic Dunlop ones and see how I get on with them

I've always played finger style with bare fingers, but thought it would be interesting to try thumb picks (I've been listening to loads of Bluegrass lately as well, so that pushed me over the edge! ;D )
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri May 01, 2009 12:30 am

Pingu wrote: It looks sort of plasticy, but has a good reputation from what I understand, though I must point out the irony in recording very expensive guitars through a budget interface  :P

What sort of software are you getting?
I'm gonna use Garageband....I don't want to spend any money on other software as I just want to record real-time...a bit like if I had a 4-track, basically...just a simple process, no editing

I just want a simple setup to record some music...if I decide to release something, I'll go to my friend's studio in North London and do it all properly...he did the ddd record and he's really nice to work with

he's got all the cool old mics and the fancy mac with all the software on it etc etc...

I'm just a hack with an old acoustic guitar, really ;D
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri May 01, 2009 12:30 am

mjet wrote:
Pingu wrote: though I must point out the irony in recording very expensive guitars through a budget interface  :P
into an expensive macbook pro...   ;)

;D :D :)
Resident Spartan.

jgs61
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jgs61 » Fri May 01, 2009 2:43 am

zhivago wrote:
jgs61 wrote: I've got the same M-Audio interface. It works pretty well for me for throwing quick stuff on my computer. I'm slowly trying to get back into using an old Tascam 4-track. I used to use one a lot when I was younger and liked them.

I haven't owned any thumb picks before, so I thought I'd start off with the metallic Dunlop ones and see how I get on with them

I've always played finger style with bare fingers, but thought it would be interesting to try thumb picks (I've been listening to loads of Bluegrass lately as well, so that pushed me over the edge! ;D )
I haven't tried the metal ones yet. I've been playing these beefy plastic ones that a lot of reso players use. They're made by National and Zookies. The Zookies have different angles to account for your attack. However I haven't like the sound of any of them. I've mainly played with my fingers too. The best thumb pick I've come across is this little orange thing that has this thin tongue for a pick. It sort of looks like a mouth harp... it's hard to describe. It's made by a company called Fred Kelly's. It has a sharper attack like my Dunlop 60mm picks. The tongue allows it to "give" a little more so that it sounds more like a plectrum in your fingers.

I might try some of the metal ones now that you mentioned it. Believe it or not there's actually two bluegrass stores in my neighborhood. They're within half a mile of each other. All they do is sell bluegrass instruments... nothing is electric. Pretty cool places to hang out.

Good luck!  ;)

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri May 01, 2009 7:24 am

:)  8)
Resident Spartan.