Studio monitors

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
djetz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Studio monitors

Post by djetz » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:48 am

Looks like I'm in the market for some.

I've been recording a lot on computer lately, really getting into it, but it's hitting my savings account pretty hard. So, what do you folks here like by way of AFFORDABLE active studio monitors? Keep in mind I'm in Australia, which is 240 volts, so I can't just buy them online the way I do most audio gear. (Retail for anything music-related in Australia is inevitably double to triple the US retail price.) I'm thinking about the Wharfedale 8.1s, if my budget stretches that far. If it doesn't, I've discovered a super-cheap version of the Nady SM120a - made in the same factory, same hardware, same box, same everything except the brand name.

I've looked around for studio monitors online, seeking information, but of course most online reviewers seem to either know nothing or to be complete tossers, or both. This forum seems to me much more in tune with my tastes, so what do you folks use and recommend?
-=264=-

SPudnik
Expat
Expat

Re: Studio monitors

Post by SPudnik » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:25 am

The Warfedales look like a good bang for the buck. I was going to recommend the Mackie HR824s but they are pricey albeit not thru the roof...
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/category/c405/ is a good place to start for info, and I think they will respond to email.
Their tech support is top notch, and they may have reasonable shipping costs.
Last edited by SPudnik on Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bass VI - A What?

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:49 am

Those wharfedale 8.1s are Hifi speakers, right? Then they are not suited for close monitoring,
they are designed to sound good when playing back in normal listening situations. Nearfield monitors
are designed to reflect the exact signal that they are fed with when sitting in front of them, as in
a recording/mixing situation.  The Mackies are a good suggestion, but from experience I'd just go for
some Tannoy Reveals. They're relatively cheap (2nd hand or Ebay) and great for home recording.
There are so many factors (room size, positioning of the monitors, reflective surfaces, to name a few)
at home that will alter perceived sound that there is probably no reason to go for more expensive solutions.

Have fun, M
Nobody exists on purpose.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:13 am

Wharfedale do make speakers intended to be used as studio monitors:

http://www.music123.com/Wharfedale-Acti ... 9693.music

I've just started using a pair similar to those .. as far as I can gather, they're pretty cheap as studio monitors go, but they seem to be doing the job OK.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:18 am

mezcalhead wrote: Wharfedale do make speakers intended to be used as studio monitors:

http://www.music123.com/Wharfedale-Acti ... 9693.music

I've just started using a pair similar to those .. as far as I can gather, they're pretty cheap as studio monitors go, but they seem to be doing the job OK.
Ooops, never noticed the "Pro"-Line. Just read some reviews and they seem good value for the money.

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:17 am

FUZZ_KING wrote: The Mackies are a good suggestion, but from experience I'd just go for
some Tannoy Reveals.
I'll +1 on this - one of the guys in my house has some Tannoy Reveals and they seem like great value for the money/
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

djetz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by djetz » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:43 am

Well, after close examination of my limited financial resources, I went with Behringers. They sound pretty good, and they're affordable. Plus they're inexpensive enough that I can upgrade in the future and not feel too bad about spending some money now.

I couldn't find a local source for the Wharfedales, and couldn't really have afforded them if I did. The Nady copies I found were not as cheap as I thought: the price I saw was for ONE, not a pair, which is a danger with studio monitors.

I'd love the Tannoy Reveals, but not for Australian prices: remember, most audio gear costs around 2.5 times what it costs in the US.

Behringer are a good choice here as much of their stuff costs "only" about 1.5 times the US price.

Obviously I buy audio gear online when I can, but POWERED monitors means I'd have to also get a stepdown transformer, 'cause Australia is 240 volts, as opposed to US 115 volts. Fortunately, effects and so on only need a local power adaptor to deliver 9 volts, so they're always buyable. A huge market has developed for things like that, since it's amazingly cheaper to buy online direct from the US or Asia even with shipping charges added. I just wish I could buy powered items that way.
-=264=-

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:30 am

2.5 times $ for audio gear?  that's a shame.

But bewaringer of Behringer! their factory is close to where I live,
and noone I know is buying their stuff since it's considered total crap.
only the cheapest components and such. you could still go for some
passive ones..  that way you'd avoid the costs for the extra transformer
and invest the spare money  in better speakers. I used to be assisstant
(tea boy :)) in a high end jazz studio and even they used passive
monitors with normal hifi amps.

M

fenderizer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fenderizer » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:11 am

FUZZ_KING wrote: 2.5 times $ for audio gear?  that's a shame.
right!  :-X  :-X  :-X  :k
FUZZ_KING wrote: But bewaringer of Behringer! their factory is close to where I live, and noone I know is buying their stuff since it's considered total crap.
I read on an other board that their TRUTH monitors should be an exeption to that rule ...

Greetings - the Fenderizer
they're coming to take me away, hahaaa ...

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:28 am

fenderizer wrote: I read on an other board that their TRUTH monitors should be an exeption to that rule ...
uhm ... interesting!

HeartfeltDawn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HeartfeltDawn » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:28 pm

Behringer has gotten an awful lot better in recent years. I've had bad experinces with some of their gear in the past but more recent items have been pretty good. One of the hidden Behringer gems is the FCB1010 MIDI floorboard. I use it with Guitar Rig 2, it's had beer, cheese, food and cats attacking it and it's still going strong.

The V-Amp 2 is still complete shite though!

Meshuggahnans
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meshuggahnans » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:57 pm

I bought these back when they were $300
http://cgi.ebay.com/M-Audio-Studiophile ... dZViewItem

this is a really great deal -- they sound great, and you don't have to buy a power amp!    they sound great
Last edited by Meshuggahnans on Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pingu » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:13 am

HeartfeltDawn wrote:
Behringer has gotten an awful lot better in recent years. I've had bad experinces with some of their gear in the past but more recent items have been pretty good. One of the hidden Behringer gems is the FCB1010 MIDI floorboard. I use it with Guitar Rig 2, it's had beer, cheese, food and cats attacking it and it's still going strong.

The V-Amp 2 is still complete shite though!

I agree, not all their stuff is awful. I'd never buy their stompboxes or anything at all that i'd use in a live situation, but i'm very happy with my FCA202 firewire interface, it sounds so much better than everything else i've tried in that price range(85€!). Strangely enough it's housed in a sturdy alumunium box while most of their stomboxes are made of cheap plastic. Mix-up at the design department?

Djetz, are you still satisfied with the monitors? Which model was it? I'm getting tired of mixing in headphones. And i just realized this is the second time in a week i ask you for gear advice. Bear with me.
"Anything that doesn't take years of your life and drive you to suicide hardly seems worth doing." - Cormac McCarthy

Kawentzmann
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kawentzmann » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:16 am

I have what used to be the cheapest Genelecs - but they don’t sell them anymore. After years of using them I can say they give a realistic sound, but it’s also possible to create a sound that’s pleasing to listen to for hours. I mean to say they make me finetune my recordings very thoroughly, but working with them or listening to others music is not tiresome.
They are small and I wonder if I should get a (matching?) subwoofer one day.

KK
1965 dots and binding fiesta red matching headstock Jaguar

djetz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by djetz » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:22 am

Pingu wrote: I agree, not all their stuff is awful. I'd never buy their stompboxes or anything at all that i'd use in a live situation, but i'm very happy with my FCA202 firewire interface, it sounds so much better than everything else i've tried in that price range(85€!). Strangely enough it's housed in a sturdy alumunium box while most of their stomboxes are made of cheap plastic. Mix-up at the design department?

Djetz, are you still satisfied with the monitors? Which model was it? I'm getting tired of mixing in headphones. And i just realized this is the second time in a week i ask you for gear advice. Bear with me.
Behringer MS40. http://www.behringer.com/MS40/index.cfm?lang=ENG

I am happy with them, they sound good and they've held up well to a fair bit of use. My brother, who is quite an audiophile, was impressed with them. Obviously they're cheap, but within the limits of Behringer cheapness, they're great. I'd say if your budget is low, they're well worth trying.

Detail and clarity is surprisingly good, and they're not tinny, which is a relief. I hate the piercing top end and mid-range harshness you often get in cheap speakers, and these don't have it. If anything they tend towards the bass spectrum. Drums sound really nice on them. Very full, good bass reproduction. The top end is smooth, but the high frequencies are a little indistinct, that's really my only negative criticism. They could be a little more crisp. They handle bass and mids well, a little weak on the highest frequencies. I can deal with that.

For inexpensive speakers, I'd say they're a really good buy. They're certainly louder than you'd need for near-field monitors, I haven't ever had them up louder than about 70% of full volume. 50% is plenty.

I use the SPDIF output from my M-Audio soundcard for the signal, which seems to work well.

I find that Behringer are decent quality for home recording gear and that sort of thing. I agree the V-AMP 2 sucks - very harsh sounding to me. I haven't tried their effects. Probably for guitar gear they're not so great, but their home studio stuff is a good cheap option.

And don't apologise for asking, I'm very happy to help fellow musicians (and especially offset forum comrades) if I can.

EDIT: I paid $250 Australian, around $200 US, which translates into about 1400 SEK, according to my calculations.
Last edited by djetz on Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
-=264=-