Resources
ORPHAN AUDIO
My Favorite Tape-Op Article of all-time

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Re: The Official Electrodyne Appreciation thread

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:26 pm

I think they used that console as a model for the old Star Trek Enterprise bridge  ;D

The Fuzz is breaking up on track 7! The Fuzz is breaking up! I'm ah givin' ya all I can Cap'n!

the Helios-69 can be had in a 500 series format...and Electrodyne is retrofitting NOS parts into rackmounts...wish I could afford them, but EQ always boosts the price! A-Designs Pacifica is similar to the old Quad Eights, but since it doesn't have EQ, you get two channels for what one Helios or Electrodyne cost...just under $2k...yeah these aren't like what you get in an M-Audio or Mackie rig.

Oh, and don't forget Calrec, the BBC Neve!
sleeping on a bed of fuzz and feedback

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:30 pm

Helios 69 channel strip will set you back...but it's got some MoJo:

http://vintageking.com/Whats-Hot/Helios ... -EQ-Module

BenHagerty

Post by BenHagerty » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:29 pm

Oh babby

noirengineer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noirengineer » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:31 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote: I think they used that console as a model for the old Star Trek Enterprise bridge  ;D

The Fuzz is breaking up on track 7! The Fuzz is breaking up! I'm ah givin' ya all I can Cap'n!

the Helios-69 can be had in a 500 series format...and Electrodyne is retrofitting NOS parts into rackmounts...wish I could afford them, but EQ always boosts the price! A-Designs Pacifica is similar to the old Quad Eights, but since it doesn't have EQ, you get two channels for what one Helios or Electrodyne cost...just under $2k...yeah these aren't like what you get in an M-Audio or Mackie rig.

Oh, and don't forget Calrec, the BBC Neve!
Dude thanks for the tips!  I didn't know much about the A-designs 500 series other
than they existed, but I didn't know they had any relation!  ok, time to take another
look around next time i see one!    PS: I've heard electrodyne NOS limited run 500 series
reissues.. they are retrofitted for lunchbox 500 format..  check it out.. (i'm very piqued by this).

ImageImage

About the console above (in first picture) -- We actually know where it hails from,
yet contrary to the enterprise reference, it's actually the former console of Brian Wilson.
'Pet Sounds'  --  double entendre?

About vintage Calrec.. LOVE them as well too.. I once had a vintage Calrec  PQ 1181 Chan Strip
that I was pretty much given (for free) by retired employer of mine, who had a whole bunch of console
pieces unassembled in the basement of his home.. I sold it a while back.. I really wish I didn't though.
Not quite as fat sounding as PQ1161's -- but still very neve-esque and damn fine..  and as you might
have guessed.. We didn't need a NEVE appreciation thread -- since I'm pretty sure the rest of the world
has jumped on to that bandwagon already.  OT: I actually met Rupert Neve briefly after an AES Exhibition
a few years back..  One of the most interesting and kindest guys I've ever met.. utterly fascinating life stories.

Back on topic -- Of those I know and used (a bit over the years). 
Note: (excuse my stupid descriptor words and excessively aloof adverb usages -- *wink)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Electrodyne 700 series --> 709 /710 pre-amps  - (Solid-State / really nice). --> never used any 711/712's
Electrodyne 130 Pre's  ---> taken from a NYC console from the 60's (Tube Preamp)
Electrodyne CA-700 Compressor

Quad Eight - Pacifica MP-404 pre-amps: 4 channels Pre/No EQ (fuzzy / crunchy / bit noisy / classic).
Quad Eight Dual Stereo Comp:  Model# (Unknown).  Racked / Stereo Linkable -- (sick / sick / sick). might be CL-22's?

Melcor GME-20 / SME-20 -- EQ Modules Racked ---> The Official Pre-cursors to the API 550b's (Nice)
Sphere 900-Series Graphic EQ --->  Really great EQ's / Best Graphic Eq's I've ever used.. (Very Subtle / Precise / Airy).

________________________________________________________________________________________________
Can't remember or speak of others --- but no matter what they all prob kick ass in some way.

BONUS:  Cool Catalog pic -- (*Sorry for size).
Last edited by noirengineer on Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:17 pm

a Helios board...they came in Red, White, Racing Green, Brown and Black (?)...well definitely RED!...there is a story that Leon Russel commissioned a custom built Helios and asked that it look like "the Starship Enterprise."  ;D dunno if this is it, but  :? :? :?

noirengineer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noirengineer » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:48 am

:? :-*

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:51 am

Turns out it's called the "Strawberry Desk" due to the color and wrap around shape! The Who had a Turquoise colored Helios...haven't seen a White one yet other than a repainted one...Lenny Kravitz had a Red one repainted Black...he could have found one stock though  :-\

anyway it's all here:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index. ... 023/0/0/0/

...I'm just up to page 10...out of 133! Lots of cool photos!

BenHagerty

Post by BenHagerty » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:30 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote: a Helios board...they came in Red, White, Racing Green, Brown and Black (?)...well definitely RED!...there is a story that Leon Russel commissioned a custom built Helios and asked that it look like "the Starship Enterprise."  ;D dunno if this is it, but  :? :? :?

zomggg

Professor Plum
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Professor Plum » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:37 pm

i dont know what half the stuff you guys said means but i get giddy just thinking about it  ;D

the "strawberry desk" defintly looks cool as hell becides from what i understand sounding rad as fuck.  :ph34r:
make feedback, not war. pick it up! pick it up! up, up!

Professor Plum
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Professor Plum » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:08 pm

ummmmm this thread inspired me to do a little snooping around on the interwebz and i stumbled upon this..
http://cgi.ebay.com/Chilton-M10-2-MKII- ... 7C294%3A50

is that something that coulb be used with say something like a 2 channel 1/4" tape mechine? how many channels is that? the bottom says something about channels one adn 2 but it seems like theres to many knobs for just 2 channels? help? :-[

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:38 pm

it's 10 channel and it could be used with a stereo 1/4" machine, but no way in hell is that in league with Calrec or Neve. maybe Tascam?

edit to add that the full size Chilton consoles were comparable to Calrec quality wise, but other than using large format transformers on the preamps there doesn't appear to be a lot on the boards, which would mean the EQ section is lacking. sounds like something that was used as a portable mixer for sub mixing synths together onstage, which wouldn't need much EQ.
Last edited by fuzzjunkie on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Professor Plum
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Professor Plum » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:13 am

fuzzjunkie wrote: it's 10 channel and it could be used with a stereo 1/4" machine, but no way in hell is that in league with Calrec or Neve. maybe Tascam?

edit to add that the full size Chilton consoles were comparable to Calrec quality wise, but other than using large format transformers on the preamps there doesn't appear to be a lot on the boards, which would mean the EQ section is lacking. sounds like something that was used as a portable mixer for sub mixing synths together onstage, which wouldn't need much EQ.
ah ok, thanks alot for the info, i was kinda inspired by the talk of all this sick vintage stuff and like if that happened to have some crazy pre amps in it then it seemd like it would be a fun think to have, to go with a tape machine...  :ph34r:

noirengineer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noirengineer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:23 am

yeah.. it might not be bad at all actually,
but it's prob not the best deal you can find.

PS: on the cheap side.. look around for Audix 35101's / 35105's, 
Peavey VMP's,  Siemens, Spectra sonics 101

EDIT:  damn they are not as cheap as they used to once be   ::) 
nevermind.. they used to be great deals.. excellent and vibey..
oh well.. there is still ALTEC stuff pretty cheap -- except that
one 'Tuna of the audioworld' guy who sold a 1567a for 10,000

(motown? pfft)
Last edited by noirengineer on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noirengineer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noirengineer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:36 am

anyone used the new Pacifica stuff ever?

I haven't had a chance to hear or use them yet,
supposedly they make worthy re-issues now.. even in API 500 lunchbox forms too.