Re: Do Logic guitar effects hiss?

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
debian
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Do Logic guitar effects hiss?

Post by debian » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:18 am

I noticed whenever I record a guitar in Garageband and add an effect it creates this background hiss/noise upon playback, especially on distortion sounds. I know it's the effects, because if I record w/ no effect it's not present. Since garageband is entry level, I was wondering if Logic has this same hangup? Hopefully someone will know what I'm talking about...

BenHagerty

Post by BenHagerty » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:39 am

Not that I have noticed

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:52 pm

The hiss you're hearing is probably coming from your audio interface or your guitar- computers give off loads of RF interference and noise and if you've got the gain cranked on a plug-in it's like playing with a Fuzz Factory in aen's "haunted rehearsal space," only without the Twins' play-by-play.

I've found the effects in Logic to be pretty quiet and pretty awesome.  Here's a track of mine where I ran my Jazzmaster with distortion and ring modulation and delays:

"No Promises"
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pingu » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:13 pm

What effects are you using? A certain amount of background noise is of course unavoidable with distortion.

I have found that scanner vibrato + rotor cabinet + tape delay is the key to sonic bliss.
"Anything that doesn't take years of your life and drive you to suicide hardly seems worth doing." - Cormac McCarthy

debian
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by debian » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:20 pm

Maggieo wrote: The hiss you're hearing is probably coming from your audio interface or your guitar- computers give off loads of RF interference and noise and if you've got the gain cranked on a plug-in it's like playing with a Fuzz Factory in aen's "haunted rehearsal space," only without the Twins' play-by-play.

I've found the effects in Logic to be pretty quiet and pretty awesome.  Here's a track of mine where I ran my Jazzmaster with distortion and ring modulation and delays:

"No Promises"
Thanks. To further clarify, the problem with the hiss only gets super noticeable when the guitar on that track isn't playing. I may have the effect turned up too loud in all honesty, but I guess I thought the effect would get quiet when not playing, and not create this hissing sound.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:25 pm

debian wrote:
Maggieo wrote: The hiss you're hearing is probably coming from your audio interface or your guitar- computers give off loads of RF interference and noise and if you've got the gain cranked on a plug-in it's like playing with a Fuzz Factory in aen's "haunted rehearsal space," only without the Twins' play-by-play.

"No Promises"
Thanks. To further clarify, the problem with the hiss only gets super noticeable when the guitar on that track isn't playing. I may have the effect turned up too loud in all honesty, but I guess I thought the effect would get quiet when not playing, and not create this hissing sound.
Try adding a noise gate to the channel strip- that'll keep things dead quiet when you're not playing.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

debian
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by debian » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:26 pm

Pingu wrote: What effects are you using? A certain amount of background noise is of course unavoidable with distortion.

I have found that scanner vibrato + rotor cabinet + tape delay is the key to sonic bliss.
It's definitely the distortion effects that are the worst. They end up coming off as so cheesy sounding because of it. I am considering better software, since I know Garageband is just a sonic "sketch pad", but it's hard to even sketch when most distortion sounds so annoying. I know you were recommending guitar rig. I hope something has better digital distortion out there.

I'm seriously tempted to just use my Mesa tube preamp since it has a recording line out.

debian
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by debian » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:27 pm

Maggieo wrote:
debian wrote:

"No Promises"
Try adding a noise gate to the channel strip- that'll keep things dead quiet when you're not playing.
Ok, thanks. I'll give that a try.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:29 pm

You can use the Channel EQ to dial out some of the hiss, too.

Good luck and post some tunes when you've got 'em done!