Best minimalist way to mic a drum kit?

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Best minimalist way to mic a drum kit?

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:20 am

There is an interesting thing about the Coles 4038

They are extremely fragile in terms of staying 100% optimal. Like *extremely*

Yet they’ll also work and pass signal and seem to sound “okay” or even “great” in some applications even when fairly-well compromised

For this reason I’d never, ever gauge how much i like the entire make/model in a given application without a decent sample size and first-person experience

They have a thin ribbon and very little blast protection when compared to something like an RCA. As a result it’s barely an exaggeration to say that they tend to be happiest when never ever used to close mic anything

My personal pair, bought brand new, is for drum overheads only. We have a pair at our Brooklyn place that’s also reserved exclusively for drum overhead duty

As soon as one is put within 20cm/1ft of anything at all i start to wonder whether it’s really “good as new” even if it seems to sound fine

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Best minimalist way to mic a drum kit?

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:53 pm

Lately I've been liking stereo overhead + kick + mono room.

kick: EV RE20
OH: Sony ECM-MS957
room: EV 635A

My practice room has a double entry door with a gap of a few feet between them. My favorite application of the room mic is putting it in between the two doors hanging on a ladder. Smash and blend to taste.