So, school me midi-interfaces...

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

So, school me midi-interfaces...

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:56 pm

Here we go again. I've asked this question a couple of times in other threads but figured having it all in one place would be easier (for my own sanity, at least).

Here's my most likely set-up, looking at all the instruments I have.

I have electric guitars & an acoustic.
I have 2 regular amps (an AC30 and a smaller modded 4W amp with a headphones socket)
I have a USB microphone.
I have a phantom power microphone.
I have a load of synth apps on an iPad.
I even have a pop-filter.

I have a gizmo that takes an electric guitar signal directly into a computer (although I've not tested it on my 2019 MBP with signal headphones jack). I guess I can also mic my acoustic or my amps.

Lastly, I have a very limited budget & would love to find something under 70€ ($80). I'm generally planning on being a one-man band & can't see thias set-up evolving into anything bigger.

What's out there?
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: So, school me midi-interfaces...

Post by zhivago » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:38 am

It is a bit out of your price range, but I bought this a couple of months ago:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

I plug into my pedalboard, then into the interface, then my MacBook pro running Garageband...it's all seamless and super-easy. :)
Resident Spartan.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:39 am

Looks nice.

Here's where I'm a bit of a klutz. I've been looking at cheapo (but reasonably rated) Behringer interfaces with just one XLR input. I'm thinking that 2 would be better so I can have my iPad apps plugged in at the same time as my guitar.

I don't know if the iPad would have to go through the main XLR shaped inputs or not. Can you send signals into these interfaces through a 1/4" jack (coming out of the iPad's headphones socket?

Also, are you XLR inputs also capable of taking different plugs? From the pictures they look kind of multi-purpose.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:45 am

I use something similar to what zhivago posted : https://www.roland.com/global/products/duo-capture_ex/
I paid less than 100€ used for it a few years back.

both inputs can be used for XLR or instruments (standard jack), with a switch for phantom power. there's also a midi in and out in the back, if you ever need it.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:00 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:39 am
Looks nice.

Here's where I'm a bit of a klutz. I've been looking at cheapo (but reasonably rated) Behringer interfaces with just one XLR input. I'm thinking that 2 would be better so I can have my iPad apps plugged in at the same time as my guitar.

I don't know if the iPad would have to go through the main XLR shaped inputs or not. Can you send signals into these interfaces through a 1/4" jack (coming out of the iPad's headphones socket?

Also, are you XLR inputs also capable of taking different plugs? From the pictures they look kind of multi-purpose.
Hmmm...I am not sure to be honest... :-[

I have just used a standard guitar jack, and also an XLR jack from my Shure mic...I think you should in theory be able to send an iPod signal through with the right jack 1/4" adaptor...

Initially I was looking at this one as well:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_sca ... rd_gen.htm

...which had the single input, but thought I might as well get something with two, just in case my needs changed down the road.

It may be a good option. :)
Resident Spartan.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:53 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:

Yes, both of those inputs can accept either XLR or TR/TRS cables in them. That's probably a fine choice for what you are doing, I'd go with the name Steinberg over Behringer, but to be perfectly honest at that price point they would probably have the exact same preamps and such under the hood.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:05 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:53 am
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:

Yes, both of those inputs can accept either XLR or TR/TRS cables in them. That's probably a fine choice for what you are doing, I'd go with the name Steinberg over Behringer, but to be perfectly honest at that price point they would probably have the exact same preamps and such under the hood.
Gotcha!

I'm a little cautious with Behringer because of their long reputation for making cheap, plastic shit. But nowadays they seem to be coming up with amazing re-issues of synths, pedals that aren't encased in plastic & other gizmos & gadgets priced very, very reasonably. Their reviews are often very good. Almost too good to be true.

But yeah, with a device like a midi interface there's every chance they're using the exact same parts as the more respectable (?) brands.

I think I should push the boat out a little & go for 2 inputs, just in case. I have a whole bunch of adapters that should work fine at making everything I have compatible with the interface &, even if I'm missing one, they're only a few Euros extra.

Thanks folks.

I'm still interested in more recommendations :)