Virtual Recording Room VST?

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Virtual Recording Room VST?

Post by Horsefeather » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:26 pm

I'm curious if anyone knows of a plug-in that lets you set up a virtual room such that you can place all your tracks in specific locations and then set up microphones as well? You know, like how you'd place the rhythm amp over there, the lead guitar amp there, the drums in the corner, and so on.

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Virtual Recording Room VST?

Post by Jan Deal » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:03 am

Could you achieve this with reverb and panning?
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:03 am

Mic placement in a room does not equate to its placement in a stereo field after mixing.

Maybe check this out, though.
This is an excellent rectangle

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:58 am

I've got the IK Multimedia Fender and Ampeg selections in Amplitube and they allow you to do that with the amps. You can select and move mics and select different rooms, and it does have a notable effect on what you hear. Maybe you could find a way to use it on stuff other than guitars and basses? Beyond that, this Waves thing may help, but I have zero experience with it, so no promises. https://www.gearnews.com/waves-offers-y ... -studio-3/

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:37 am

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Currently, the best solution I know of--and the one I use--is the Space360 plugin: http://www.vst4you.com/pages/vst%20effe ... 20360.html

It works well for its purpose but using it to truly simulate a room full of musicians isn't great. For one thing, it requires that you have a different instance of it applied to each track, which means processing power. And for another, it offers only the option of two speakers for the sound source, which is odd. You can stack them right on top of each other but it often sounds weird.

Those links posted are interesting but I'm not sure they're exactly what I'm after. Maybe I need to learn how to code!

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:39 pm

https://www.auburnsounds.com/products/Panagement.html

there is this (similar? more binaural, less reverby)

but I'm not sure what you're after exactly.

Another thing i've used is the Tony Visconti Eventide plugin...but that's one sound source, so its a bit either-or. You can't change the source position, just the mics.

Presumably each instrument would have an unpanned close mic...

Then some kind of stereo mic for all, in which depending on the techniqu (ab, xy, ortf, blulein etc.) things will arrive at different volume, and different times. But it also interacts with the walls, so the predelay, diffusion and early reflection amounts will vary :squint:

I'd imagine it could be built in some way. If people can make something like this: https://www.tokyodawn.net/proximity/ (plugin for mic distance). then you could tweak that on each channel to approximate a stero mic, then tweak some verb. Then tweak some verb to appropriate wall distances and other settings, make some impulses of similar positions you might use, or something. :squint:

I would note if there was a single plugin that processed many instruments at once, then it must do the same number of jobs, with a multichannel setup, so it probably wouldn't use less processing power.