Probably not what most people use a Gibson L-00 for...

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Probably not what most people use a Gibson L-00 for...

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:04 pm

I had the idea to do some recording with my new guitar today, and made a song out of it. It's not finished and probably won't ever be "finished", so have some charity. I think I said something about making beautiful recordings on here and this isn't it.

Still, I've had the idea of using the acoustic guitar in some electronic music that I've been writing, and this is a shot in that direction.

Anyway, it was a fun little guitar to record with, even though really any guitar would sound like this on the track after I've layered everything else on it. Still, it was fun.

This is what I do when I get a couple hours free from work and the family... enjoy.

Oh, and I sent it to a friend of mine with just the guitar and he said it had a cool groove, like a Doobie Brothers song. Which I take as a compliment.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Probably not what most people use a Gibson L-00 for...

Post by mediocreplayer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:39 am

I like it! Like you said, I don't think it will make a difference if this was the L-00 or anything else. But the track itself is very singable -- I can easily improvise different vocal melodies as it plays. I know you said you only do instrumental stuff but maybe think of a vocal track to put up there? I would have taken a stab myself if I was not so behind on my own music!

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:46 am

Thank you! Let me know if you want to take a stab at singing to it, I do have a singer that I've worked with in the past and have been trying to get together with lately, but he's pretty slammed these days himself.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:17 pm

Pretty cool, Larry! There isn't nearly enough sharing of music by members for a forum dedicated to musical instruments. Thanks for posting this.

You can tell how the midrange voicing of the L-00 really inspired this entire track.

Nah, I'm just kidding. You're right. Could literally have been any acoustic. But if it was the new L-00 that inspired you to pick something up and add it to the track, then that's what counts.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:31 pm

Thank you!

Actually I totally love this L-00 now. I got some new strings on it finally, and went down a gauge from the .13s that it came with to my usual .12s. I was a little nervous because I was really liking it with the .13s and was thinking about bumping up a gauge, but had just bought a bunch of .12s- now I don't care, .12s are fine.

But what an inspiring little guitar it is! It sounds great, the new strings opened it up a bit, and for whatever reason this thing just plays like a dream. I'm really glad I made the trade and can't see how I would be much happier with any other guitar, which even if I did wouldn't matter since the budget has been spent.

I like the up front quality of it, the sound is just so present and concise and my other guitars sound kind of boomy and distant now. Of course I forget all about that when I play them, but this L-00 is a nice alternative and I'm finally sold on the smaller guitar concept.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:37 pm

Yeah, when I first got my Webber 00, it was a similar revelation for me. I had this silly belief that size = bass = tone for acoustics, and I was really nervous that it was going to sound "too small," but the counterpoint to their being less air volume and a higher resonant frequency is the fact that there's less wood to get moving - less intertia. Like you said, notes seem to leap out with more immediacy, and the tone is very balanced.

Big guitars still have their place, but small acoustics can kick serious butt.

Plus, they're super comfortable to hold IMO.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:53 pm

I just typically never have questioned the dreadnaught all that much and usually aren't all that concerned about tone, which seems pretty silly to me now. I've gotten by for years with just a couple of good quality acoustics and kind of weirdly assumed that I was covering all my bases.

For the last couple of years, though, I've clearly gone apeshit and have learned a lot. My rosewood J-60 (basically a Martin D-28) has a haunting quality to it, my J-45 is elegant and melancholic at times, the J-35 is a dry and aggressive strummer, the J-100 I don't really know where that fits in yet and the Dove seems to have gravitated towards being my open C guitar and that's probably where it will stay- the maple tempers the extreme low end to a degree.

Seems easy enough to think of, but I'm trying to think of these guitars from the viewpoint of what the microphone hears, not that I'm really there yet or anything, but that's been my guiding idea, how to get the natural strengths of these guitars onto "tape" . I don't know- I might be babbling, and I'm aware that none of this philosophy would be heard in the music that I put up in that link or anything. Just some thoughts about what I've been reaching towards.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:16 pm

Reminds me of Johnny Marr's work in electronic. Well done!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:41 pm

Thank you, Maggie! I will hopefully get some recording done with the Dove someday soon, I have a chord progression on it that I've been wanting to develop. I'll be sure to let you know if I take it anywhere.