Probably a very basic question!

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Probably a very basic question!

Post by timiscott » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:54 pm

I usually record things in Garageband and use a pedalboard through their amp models. How much difference would it make if I bought a mini-amp to record through? Was thinking of a Vox MV50 but some reviews are a bit scathing, especially about putting pedals into it. Any ideas? (I can't afford a Kemper!)

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Probably a very basic question!

Post by oid » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:43 pm

It will make a difference, it really depends on your pedal setup and playing style as to how much of a difference it will make and your personal preference as to which sounds better. Mic, micing technique and preamps will have a larger effect. If volume is an issue be aware micing low volume amps can be a trick since you are fighting with any sound in the room, including the acoustic sound of even a solid body electric. Sensitive mics like condensers do wonders to make an amp at low volume sound big, but you need to find a quite corner to stick them if you do not want to hear things like pick noise, room noise and the like.

I have heard recordings just as you describe that I would never have believed was not a micced amp if I had not seen it, learning your gear and how to exploit it to its fullest will always give you the largest payoff.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:24 pm

It would certainly be different.

Would it be "better?" That's up to your own subjective opinion.

You'd essentially be trading in one means of simulating a tube amp for a different means of simulating a tube amp. So then it's a matter of which gives you more of what you want.

If I were in your position, I'd rock with what I've already got, but have an eye toward either

1) an eventual unambiguous amp emulation upgrade, e.g. a Kemper
2) an actual, quality, good-sounding tube amp and a decent microphone or two.

Whichever fits your mode of creativity better.

In the meantime, there's nothing terribly wrong with the simulations in Garageband. I use them to make demos, etc when I'm on tour and away from my studio and all my gear. Once or twice they've even made it onto a record! Shh!

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:01 pm

You need pretty decent amp/mic/recording environment before you can get a better sound than plugging into the interface and using the stock models, IMO. GarageBand is fine.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:33 am

Thank you all for that - it's made it very clear! Seems I don't need to worry too much unless I buy a Kemper. Appreciate the help soooo much and that cash can now go towards pedals etc.

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:42 am

timiscott wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:33 am
Seems I don't need to worry too much unless I buy a Kemper
Just buy a Champ type amp and a SM57, you got to learn how to mic an amp and how to play a miced amp before the Kemper will be of any use anyways and it will increase your palette while teaching you some new tricks. But if you are happy with the sounds you are getting then keep at it and don't worry about it.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:23 am

That's great - thank you!

pj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pj » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:27 am

I loved my MV50 AC so much I got the tiny cabinet to go along with it.

rumfoord
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rumfoord » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:45 am

Does anybody have experience learning to incorporate "terrible" tone (by some set of standards) into their artistic vision? ...let the constraints kind of shape the aesthetic?

I don't have any experience doing this intentionally, but love lots of bands and genres that have done this: lo-fi indie, black metal, punk. I remember very nearly buying a silverface showman from a someone about 10 years ago who'd been in a band popular enough that he was like, maybe you've heard of me...but I totally hadn't (so that was a little weird). But he also was saying that he was just so over tube tone. He was getting really into 70s solid state sounds, he said. It was probably one of the purest examples of my life where I felt like, hm, ok, you do you. Still, I like that idea of making good music with whatever tools—instead of making, "good music despite the tools" or, especially, "music that should really be better given the quality of tools".