Anyone have recs on a cassette 4 track?

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone have recs on a cassette 4 track?

Post by shadowplay » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:30 am

øøøøøøø wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:02 am
...and that's basically the crux. We need to understand what's driving our OP.

If they've learned of four-track cassette and are fascinated by it--whether by the process, or the lo-fi character, or even the look--then I'd encourage them to take that inspiration and run with it.

Make whatever you can make. Let it be unapologetically "four-track cassette." It's a medium for art, just like watercolor or photography or collage, and if it's the medium that interests you and encourages you to make cool shit, go for it. But understand the medium.

Conversely, if they heard a beautiful-sounding recording made on professional analog equipment and, upon learning that it was "analog," thought "I want to make recordings that sound like this," then I might encourage them to go a different direction. They'd get closer to their ideal with a modern digital rig than they would with a cassette four track.

To me, it's exactly like: If someone has grown up with only iPhone cameras, and then they see a beautiful Cornell Capa print, and they think "I want to get a film camera, like a Polaroid!" It would be fair to advise them that they might, in fact, be looking for something else--and may even be happier with a modest but nicer-than-average digital DSLR camera. It doesn't mean Polaroid isn't a totally valid medium. I've seen really cool shit done with a Polaroid. But it's different.
Dead on. You're on a hiding to nothing if you think you can get a big sheeny separated sound but sometimes it just suits the song and if it suits your music then great. One of the reasons it suits grey raincoated minimal wave is because that's how a lot of the early stuff was recorded so it sounds right.

I think it's fine if it's natural but I don't like when people are trying to punch their fancy gear down to sounding lofi or running it through some pre shredded denim device.

A countryish good example with guitars since lofi minimal wave is probably a little niche is the Paula Frazer (Tarnation) four track demos where the warble and hiss sort of envelop everything in a dank and meloncholy mist and IMO these songs sometimes work better than the later studio versions of some of the songs, at least to my taste.

Paula Frazer - We met By the love lies Bleeding (4 Track)

Paula Frazer - We Met by the Love Lies Bleeding (big girl studio version)

Also who needs the luxury of a portastudio, Thomas Leer recorded this with 'two cassette machines & a few effects pedals Guitar, Bass & Wasp Synthesizer.' i mean it sounds 'terrible' but great if you know what I mean.

D

*an amazing musician who grew up not far from me in a very unfashionable town and alone and with Robert Rental made some amazing music and a couple of the truly great post punk singles in;

Thomas Leer - Private Plane

Robert Rental - Double Heart

Leer got a lot more accomplished later on but his early work is amazing to me and a near lifelong love
I like that old time rock 'n' roll, don't try to take me to a disco.

dezb1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone have recs on a cassette 4 track?

Post by dezb1 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:00 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:30 am
øøøøøøø wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:02 am
...and that's basically the crux. We need to understand what's driving our OP.

If they've learned of four-track cassette and are fascinated by it--whether by the process, or the lo-fi character, or even the look--then I'd encourage them to take that inspiration and run with it.

Make whatever you can make. Let it be unapologetically "four-track cassette." It's a medium for art, just like watercolor or photography or collage, and if it's the medium that interests you and encourages you to make cool shit, go for it. But understand the medium.

Conversely, if they heard a beautiful-sounding recording made on professional analog equipment and, upon learning that it was "analog," thought "I want to make recordings that sound like this," then I might encourage them to go a different direction. They'd get closer to their ideal with a modern digital rig than they would with a cassette four track.

To me, it's exactly like: If someone has grown up with only iPhone cameras, and then they see a beautiful Cornell Capa print, and they think "I want to get a film camera, like a Polaroid!" It would be fair to advise them that they might, in fact, be looking for something else--and may even be happier with a modest but nicer-than-average digital DSLR camera. It doesn't mean Polaroid isn't a totally valid medium. I've seen really cool shit done with a Polaroid. But it's different.
Dead on. You're on a hiding to nothing if you think you can get a big sheeny separated sound but sometimes it just suits the song and if it suits your music then great. One of the reasons it suits grey raincoated minimal wave is because that's how a lot of the early stuff was recorded so it sounds right.

I think it's fine if it's natural but I don't like when people are trying to punch their fancy gear down to sounding lofi or running it through some pre shredded denim device.

A countryish good example with guitars since lofi minimal wave is probably a little niche is the Paula Frazer (Tarnation) four track demos where the warble and hiss sort of envelop everything in a dank and meloncholy mist and IMO these songs sometimes work better than the later studio versions of some of the songs, at least to my taste.

Paula Frazer - We met By the love lies Bleeding (4 Track)

Paula Frazer - We Met by the Love Lies Bleeding (big girl studio version)

Also who needs the luxury of a portastudio, Thomas Leer recorded this with 'two cassette machines & a few effects pedals Guitar, Bass & Wasp Synthesizer.' i mean it sounds 'terrible' but great if you know what I mean.

D

*an amazing musician who grew up not far from me in a very unfashionable town and alone and with Robert Rental made some amazing music and a couple of the truly great post punk singles in;

Thomas Leer - Private Plane

Robert Rental - Double Heart

Leer got a lot more accomplished later on but his early work is amazing to me and a near lifelong love

There was an exhibition on both of those guys on last month, meant to go see it but missed out.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... d-45808356