Logic Pro 10.4 is out.

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Logic Pro 10.4 is out.

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:05 pm

Pretty big release, as it turns out. New Drummers, including a jazz drummer, which was a big thing missing from the Drummer concept.

Not that I necessarily want that, but if one was using Logic to write commercially, jazz drumming would be a very useful thing to have.

There's also a Mellotron plug in, a new reverb, some other stuff also. All in all, a huge release and a good one. Every now and then I think to jump ship from Logic, and they keep my interest. Every now and then I think to jump ship from Apple, because fuck Apple, but Logic is just great.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Logic Pro 10.4 is out.

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:19 pm

You should totally jump ship from Apple because fuck apple. Funny, though, I just got a mac.

Yep, that kind. Doubt it'll run logic very well. I'm yanking the innards out and putting a raspberry pi in it.
This is an excellent rectangle

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:25 pm

If it wasn't for Logic, I would jump ship, and actually a lot depends on Apple's so called "modular" Mac Pro that they allege is coming and if that thing costs more than a year's salary for me (which I predict) then I am out once and for all. There's nothing I don't prefer about Apple, but the prices are ridiculous, Apple is a crap company, but the OS is much better and the software is better.

Microsoft and Windows are also horrible. Whenever I think about moving to a Windows 10 box- and I know Windows 10 very, very well- it makes my skin crawl. The operating system is fairly good, Windows 10 works OK. But as much as I dislike Apple, I resent the shit out of Microsoft using my computer as a direct pipeline to sell me products that I either can or can't turn off at any particular time.

I also hate Microsoft's method of releasing new versions of Windows 10, they put out some "feature" release that's loaded with crapware and it totally breaks your system because unless you are paying attention, it's actually an entire new operating system and you didn't know that. You thought you were only dealing with the same security holes that have always plagued Windows.

Both Apple and Microsoft has jumped the tracks.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:30 pm

I'm happy to say that the new Reverb is very good, so far. Very usable.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:22 pm

I use Linux. And my DAW computer runs win7, which I'll probably stick with far past the point where it's practical, just because I hate win10 with a passion, and because my recording machine just works. Even the drivers for my presonus interface work. That machine doesn't need to connect to the internet really, and it can just be a neat little time capsule recording machine with studio one 2.0 and all my 32 bit plugins. I'm even gonna get some hardware reverbs for it at some point, because I have the I/O to do it. My VSTis will pretty much go away in favor of a couple hardware synths. And if I can't make all that sound good, there ain't shit a new computer is gonna to do change it. I'll stick with what I got for a while longer, and enjoy fewer headaches that way. Laptop is and will remain linux. My cool "new" Mac will be running linux too. And at some point I'll even get an iPod mini and stick a 2nd party OS on that along with more storage. Repurposing used apple hardware to run better shit is the new "fuck apple".
This is an excellent rectangle

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:17 pm

I'm also an Apple guy by default thanks to Logic.

Yes, they're overpriced. Yes, for every professional who actually uses Apple-specific features, there are ten hipsters sitting in a Starbucks working on their "writing" with a clever sticker covering their macbook's apple logo in an "I'm drawing your attention to the fact that I'm trying to draw your attention away from this being a macbook" way.

But I'll be damned if Logic isn't a fine piece of software. I also have a bandmate who uses it, and being able to share projects back and forth in my DAW of choice is worth the other BS.

Except the IMac Pro. That thing is just at an absurd price point for something that isn't easily upgradeable like the alleged new Mac Pro will be.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Axolotl » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:55 am

A very nice upgrade indeed. Chroma verb sounds really good and so do the vintage EQs. The smart tempo works quite well. I had fun looping stuff with a Ditto and then easily adding loops/drummer tracks to it in a few seconds. While impressive, it remains to see how actually useful this feature will be for me. I thought smart tempo it was going to be more like Ableton Live's but it's not quite like it (I don't know if I can preview files in my session's tempo- I'd think so, I def gotta look more into it)

The new strings and horns sound pretty good (some of the horns stabs/falls sound really convincing). There's also some kind of universal articulation for midi that looks interesting but I haven't delved much into it. The 2 new drummers are pretty cool. I'm really pleased to see that the program runs noticeably faster and smoother. Quite a few little lags (i.e. when using the scissor tool, moving a bunch of regions, etc) are now gone. Also, projects load much faster :w00t:

I've been using Logic for 16 years now (holy shit! :wtf: ) most of my days. I have 2000+ sessions so I'm pretty much chained to this software, and while Apple do sucks balls and I hate the whole Iphonization/dumbing down of the brand, I gotta say I'm thankful -and quite surprised- they have been so dedicated to Logic in the last years. A few years back I was pretty sure they'd pull the plug on it, or at least screw it up badly. But it's a great piece of software indeed. I use it everyday for quite a few hours and earn my daily bread with it and far from hating it or being bored by it, I still find it stimulating and inspiring to make music with.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:15 am

Axolotl wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:55 am
I’ve been using it for about 15 years or so, and completely agree with everything you just said. In fact, I wrote a very similar post but deleted it when I realized you’d beaten me to it. In short, I love what Apple has done for Logic and see no reason to jump ship despite my many gripes about the company in general.

One of my frustrations with Drummer was that there were no brushed sets or ‘jazzier’ players. I hope they continue development in this area and push the genres into less ‘expected’ places. Overall though, very nice.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:47 am

Telliot wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:15 am
Axolotl wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:55 am
I’ve been using it for about 15 years or so, and completely agree with everything you just said. In fact, I wrote a very similar post but deleted it when I realized you’d beaten me to it. In short, I love what Apple has done for Logic and see no reason to jump ship despite my many gripes about the company in general.

One of my frustrations with Drummer was that there were no brushed sets or ‘jazzier’ players. I hope they continue development in this area and push the genres into less ‘expected’ places. Overall though, very nice.
+1

This is a nice tutorial on the universal articulations and how they can be used with external libraries. Between this and the new country and jazz drummers, this is the most significant upgrade to 10.X yet, for my purposes at any rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay2M3wP ... ture=share
Local milk person

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:04 am

A couple of updates ago Apple broke my version of Logic, so I'm kind of pissed off, but I know logic, and I demo on GB, so this new version sure sounds like something I need to get my record off the ground.

Goddammit, Apple.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:54 am

Been using Logic back to the eMagic days. I think I paid $1K for Logic 5 or 6, been too long to remember, although I'll never forget stressing out over making sure I didn't lose the dongle. Kind of amazing what you get for the price now. When Space Designer came out, it sold for $500 I think, and now it's just bundled in.

In recent years I've largely used Ableton Live but this latest update to Logic looks really compelling. I haven't had a chance to experiment, but are folks having success with smart tempo feature? The ability to play free of a click track is hugely interesting to me. To be able to make tracks with human like tempo shifts is pretty cool.

That said, in my initial attempt to fire up 10.4 and set up a new template, I've had some massively bad crashes. Locked the whole machine up twice and caused my USB ports to stop working until I rebooted. I'm on Sierra and the iMac is nearly brand new. Pretty weird. And since some clown on another site already accessed me of this, this is a legit paid for copy.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:14 am

That's odd. Your hard disk is checking out? Last time I had any problems like that, I had a bad disk in the old Mac Pro and while I didn't think it would have anything to do with anything- it was a Windows 10 boot disk- it still killed my system.

Bad RAM?

Maybe kill the Logic .plists and see if that doesn't reset it in some way. Sounds like you upgraded from a fairly older version to 10.4, or was it a fresh install?

Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Axolotl » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:31 am

Well, the articulation sets feature is actually pretty cool. It's a pretty elegant solution that'll come in handy when working with strings and other libraries.

It's also worth mentioning the Step FX plugin, which is basically a multiFX unit with filter, delay, dirt, modulation, verb, etc coupled with a step sequencer that triggers steps and values for the FX's parameters. It also has an X-Y grid area to modulate parameters with mouse movement. While hardly a new concept, it sounds and looks great and it's nice to have this type of stuff integrated into a native plugin.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:58 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:14 am
That's odd. Your hard disk is checking out? Last time I had any problems like that, I had a bad disk in the old Mac Pro and while I didn't think it would have anything to do with anything- it was a Windows 10 boot disk- it still killed my system.

Bad RAM?

Maybe kill the Logic .plists and see if that doesn't reset it in some way. Sounds like you upgraded from a fairly older version to 10.4, or was it a fresh install?
It's definitely weird. It's a new iMac 3.4 ghz, with 8 gigs of RAM, on a fully updated Sierra install. All my plugs pass Logic's inspection, and Live, with a similar set up, is rock solid. I hadn't used Logic in a very long time so I was trying to create a new template to reflect my current needs. It seems like when I tried to add a new MIDI track to control some outboard stuff that trouble started. I've never had stability issues with Logic before so it's all quite strange.

Trying to rebuild the template has reminded me that as much as Apple has tried to sand down eMagic's rough edges, Logic is still pretty tricky to set up. The last time I really used Logic extensively was in the 7 version on a Powermac G5 and I was pretty fluid. My lapse in attention has cost me all that muscle memory, and compared to Live, trying to set tracks up still seems harder than it should be. I wouldn't even be bothering if it weren't for the ability to do the clickless recording. Also, even on my new quadcore iMac, Live remains an insane resource pig. It's still the main draw back to an otherwise amazing program.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:10 pm

Maybe Live 10 will have a lighter footprint, who knows.

But, let me ask you, if you just set up a Logic project and start working, does that seem to work OK? Is it only when you try to work with templates that you see this problem?

Because if so, that's sounding very much like the problem is with the templates possibly being corrupted or something in Logic's preferences being corrupted. I had mentioned trashing the .plists pertaining to Logic.

Try this, especially step #7 and #8.