Ableton Live 10 will be out soon...

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Ableton Live 10 will be out soon...

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:32 pm

Anybody here like that? I seem to remember a few. I went ahead and upgraded my license to 10 Suite, since they are offering a little sale now and all and if you upgrade you get the license for 10.

10 looks like it has some cool new stuff in it. I'm like, an old pro with Logic at this point, but I always want to get into Live a little deeper. Maybe now I will.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Ableton Live 10 will be out soon...

Post by mediocreplayer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:43 am

I only use Logic atm. I love Reason and was thinking of getting the new version as well but I am not paying $400 for a program that looks identical to the one I used in 2004. Can you let me know how Ableton will complement Logic?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:44 pm

So I meant to respond to this, as best I can. First thing I'll need to make clear is that although I've been using Live since version 5, I'm no expert at it whatsoever.

Frankly, it always kind of flummoxes me.

The thing that makes Live different or arguably "better" than other DAWs is that it has an entirely other workflow built into it. All the other ones more or less operate around the same principles, and Live does that too.

That's called the "Session view", and while I know how to use it well, I'm not very skilled at actually making songs out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIy_2zlXh4I

At some point I always want to get it into the "Project view" and start laying things out in a linear way, which is where I become slow and find the process cumbersome.

Overall, I don't know the software all that well even after all this time. But, I'm going to make a push to learn it a little better, I got some keyboard overlays that will show me all the shortcuts and shit.

Otherwise, Live has things that it excels at, it has a pretty light footprint, it makes a lot of effort to be stable. In that sense, it's designed to be an instrument, hence the "live".

But really it is as good as your imagination and skill are.

As far as how it would complement Logic, you can ReWire the DAWS together but I'd never do that. What a hassle. You used to have to ReWire Reason into other things since Reason was not a full DAW, but otherwise, I can't imagine why anyone ever wanted to do it.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

salty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by salty » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:40 pm

I am a Live user, been using it since 7. I upgraded to 8 Standard and then 9 Suite when it came out. To be honest I do not take advantage of a 10th of what the program has to offer. But the two views really pulled me in. The Session view is a great writing tool for me. It allows me to break ideas into loops and figure out what fits together and to build off existing ideas one chunk at a time. Then I use arrangement view to finalize the structure by adding in the pieces from the session view.

I have sued it many times as a standard DAW tracking friends bands and arrangement view works well for that.

Honestly not sure if I am going to upgrade from 9, like I said I only use about 10% of what it can do now. I recently just bought an Electribe 2 Sampler for working out song ideas without being in front of the computer, which usually ends up with me getting sidetracked somehow... something not working right, or reading about some new piece of gear I really don't need or getting loss in an array of plugin effects that end up not being used in the end anyway.

I really do love Live a lot though.

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:19 pm

Yeah I'll be getting ten when it comes out in february right? I've tried a lot of DAWs and Ableton just works the best for me, the only thing it still lacks is comping tracks but duplicating the track before recording isn't hard, so a very minor complaint.
The new features don't impress me that much tho so far but we'll see, I've never used ableton effects for synths as they're a headache to learn and I've never had presets to explore how they work, but if they had a synth that was easy then I'd consider it, would save on plugin cpu drainage but I'm sure ten will run smoother and be more cpu efficient.
If OSG has tort me anything...

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:53 pm

First quarter of the new year, is all I'm hearing about when it will be released.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:42 am

I've had Live since V1. I initially used it as a glorified plugin rewired with Logic 6, or was it 7, to bring in drum loops and other time shifted stuff. I've upgraded relatively steadily as things moved along, mostly because I was forced to for technical reasons. Live seems like it found its ideal form pretty early on and has added incremental improvements and some bells and whistles along the way.

Somewhere a few years back I shifted away from Logic to Live as my main recording platform. I was pretty fluid on Logic Pro on my old G5, but then for a host of personal reasons, I didn't do much recording for a few years. The G5 became obsolete and then I got a new Mac, which then needed a new Logic version, and then Apple really changed it with the launch of the Pro X version. When I started recording again I'd lost my Logic skills. And to be quite honest, as much as Apple has improved Logic, there are things that still remain insanely unintuitive and hard to wrangle. At the same time, I had a good suite of 3rd party plugs, and I really, really liked the built in effects of Live. I love how it can turn a guitar part into a MIDI part. I stopped working in clip view and only record in arrange view now. It's hard to edit audio relative to Logic, but there's something about the "sound" of Live I like better. For whatever reason, Live makes me commit to recording choice in a way that Logic didn't. The downside is that Live is and remain a pig. So much so I just bought a new iMac last night because my Mini is grinding on stuff I suspect would be no problem. In terms of tracks and plugs, I could get more out of Logic on the G5 than I can get on Live right now with my late model Mini.

Live 10 doesn't look that interesting outside of the drum bus plug. I'm a guitar/bass player mainly, so all the whiz bang programming and electronica stuff built into these apps, well, that's stuff I still don't understand and will never use. Honestly, I think they're charging too much for the upgrades, but they'll get my money regardless.

derekstudt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by derekstudt » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:55 pm

I've used Live for about 10 years now to trigger tracks on stage and will be upgrading to 10 shortly after it comes out. I've also used Live's software synth sounds as well as rewired Reason into Live.

I started out using session view until I was able to wrap my head around arrangement view. The learning curve is definitely more steep than other DAWs, but once I learned it, I've stuck with arrangement view.