Neve style pres for under $1k?? The interface Hunt is Over!

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Re: Neve style pres for under $1k?? Got it. What about A/D Converters?

Post by OffYourFace » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:19 pm

IT'S OVER!!!

I bought this... and I think I got one hell of a deal. The guy probably dropped nearly $3k on this setup. I decided to get the Ensemble TB because my boss has one and I love it. I'm happy. 8)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/APOGEE-ENSEMBL ... 7675.l2557

I will probably get the SCA rack in the near future... or who knows, maybe i'll save up for a racked pair of 1272s.
I was excited to get the Aurora 8 but I would still have to buy a unit just for monitoring, along with some preamps.
I'll be more than happy with just the Ensemble TB for the time being.

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:24 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:19 pm
IT'S OVER!!!

I bought this... and I think I got one hell of a deal. The guy probably dropped nearly $3k on this setup. I decided to get the Ensemble TB because my boss has one and I love it. I'm happy. 8)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/APOGEE-ENSEMBL ... 7675.l2557

I will probably get the SCA rack in the near future... or who knows, maybe i'll save up for a racked pair of 1272s.
Whoa, that's a good deal. Congrats and happy tracking!
Local milk person

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Re: Neve style pres for under $1k?? The interface Hunt is Over!

Post by OffYourFace » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:26 pm

Thanks! and thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:25 pm

Congrats, Mike, that looks great!
Dok wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:57 pm
If I was buying a new interface right now I'd seriously consider the Cranborne 500R8. It's brand new but damn if it isn't an amazing idea that I can't believe hasn't been done before - if you already have any 500 series gear, Bob's your uncle. You can use the A/D converters without any gear in the rack, too.

http://www.cranborne-audio.com/500r8

In the thread on Gearslutz the owner is saying this will list at $1399. I guess that's a bit outside of your budget.
Whoa, that’s amazing. I don’t have and 500 series stuff, but find the format very intriguing. Something like this would be very versatile.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:54 pm

That cranbourne dealy looks shit hot. I was also excited for the aphex 500 series interface, but it was delayed and seemed to finally go on sale for all of about a month and may have ultimately just died on the vine for all I know. The idea of being able to just drop the pres you like into your interface is a good one, and a solution is overdue. You could go as expensive or cheap as you like, DIY recording equipment has their 500 series color pres for not much money at all to get into.
This is an excellent rectangle

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:58 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:54 pm
That cranbourne dealy looks shit hot. I was also excited for the aphex 500 series interface, but it was delayed and seemed to finally go on sale for all of about a month and may have ultimately just died on the vine for all I know. The idea of being able to just drop the pres you like into your interface is a good one, and a solution is overdue. You could go as expensive or cheap as you like, DIY recording equipment has their 500 series color pres for not much money at all to get into.
Agreed, although like Mike said, it would be even better if it were Thunderbolt, although that presents some problems for y'all non-Mac users. Still, I might save up for the ADAT-only one which is a bit cheaper and can be used through an existing Thunderbolt interface. Then again, who am I kidding, my preamps are decidedly not the problem with any of my mixes. :-[
Local milk person

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:55 am

Mike, the UAD 1073 Unison plug-in is stunningly good..

ells@cranborne
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ells@cranborne » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:19 am

Hi all, Elliott here from Cranborne Audio.

Thanks for your kind words about our products!

We could of made the Cranborne 500R8 Thunderbolt... however there actually isn't any benefit of doing so. We aren't beholden to latency (as we have an all analogue monitoring path) and infact the USB 2.0 solution we are using is as low latency as any thunderbolt interface as it's so lightweight and is core audio compliant. If we did add thunderbolt, we would have to increase the price by at least $3-400 in order to pay for the supporting hardware as well as extend development time by at least 2 months. For us, price was key as we wanted to make the unit accessible to everyone who wanted to get into 500 series but didn't want to sacrifice quality. We're running high-end, 127/121dB dynamic range converters with a sub 0.5 picosecond master-reference clock all for $1399 ... and it's built in the UK!

Don't get me wrong, I can't bare all those adapters you need for the latest MacBooks - thunderbolt is a bit neater nowadays! but USB 2.0 is still very usable, reliable and in our particular example has ample capabilities. and of course more accessible for more PC/Mac users.

If you guys have any questions about our products, feel free to ask away! ;D

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:52 am

Whoa, you must have some quality Google Alerts set up, eh? :)

Just wanted to say if you need any beta testers I'll be happy to be the liason between yourselves and Offsetguitars.com for any test units and quality control issues, as you'll surely need a range of use cases to maximize your data analysis. :w00t:

But really, good luck with the launch!
Local milk person

ells@cranborne
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ells@cranborne » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:03 pm

Dok wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:52 am
Whoa, you must have some quality Google Alerts set up, eh? :)

Just wanted to say if you need any beta testers I'll be happy to be the liason between yourselves and Offsetguitars.com for any test units and quality control issues, as you'll surely need a range of use cases to maximize your data analysis. :w00t:

But really, good luck with the launch!
Haha I know I seem a bit keen! But I do like to scout the forums to see if there’s any feedback that we could perhaps incorporate into the final production models! You guys use the stuff after all and it’s good to get an outside perspective!

And I can answer any questions!

Great thing about building them in the UK is that we can test each of them as they leave the factory line - better than building them offshore where you have no control!

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:08 am

eggwheat wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:55 am
Mike, the UAD 1073 Unison plug-in is stunningly good..
I believe you but with my budget, I'd have to settle for the Apollo desktop unit and I didn't want that.... unless you mean I can use those plug-ins with the Apogee Ensemble TB?

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:01 am

No they only work with apollo sadly as it uses the unison tech...IE they work just like a real mic pre when you are tracking, actually changing the physical mic input impedance. I’m an all analog guy as you know..but I have to say, these plugin are incredible...on another level.

Just recorded drums for a project and sent it to the mix engineer..he’s been bending my ear ever since saying he selling all his neve 1073’s!

Only downside is they use a ton of DSP, only 8 instances per quad Apollo.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:13 am

I think the UAD stuff is good.

However, we will not be selling our Neve console(s) or our Neve outboard preamps.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:19 am

Here comes the guy that crashes the project studio recording thread with the vintage Neve console and bank of 8 original Pultecs. :)

It’s subjective of course, and it depends on your situation and what you are doing... and I always steer clear of the ‘I’m selling all my hardware’ hyperbole..

So when I say it for the first time ever, I really mean it. I mean it was Jason Corsaro(god rest his soul) who told us about it..someone I hold in very high regard..and I was still very sceptical..

That latest 1073 unison plug is more than good, it is the bollocks.

Anyway I’m doing a record for the first time in the box with no summing and no hardware pres..so we’ll see how that turns out :)

Mike: look forward to your impressions of your new system!

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:08 pm

eggwheat wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:19 am

Mike: look forward to your impressions of your new system!
It arrives on thursday so I should be tracking by next weekend. 8)