Recording through Line 6 Toneport UX1 and POD 2.0

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
CarHud
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Recording through Line 6 Toneport UX1 and POD 2.0

Post by CarHud » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:48 am

Hey everyone.
I have always used my Line 6 Toneport UX1 plugged into USB on my computer for basic recording. The software I got with the Toneport was Gearbox to get the amp sounds and pedals and then that goes into Ableton Live. Simple. However, recently Gearbox does not seem to work and the sound just comes out as acoustic in Ableton Live. I've looked for updates and patches on the Line 6 website (Line 6 Monkey, I believe?) and cannot seem to find anything for this. Any ideas?

I also have a Line 6 POD 2.0 and so I was wondering if there's a way to link this up somehow to get the amp and effects through this, or even my Blackstar ID-Core 40 practice amp? I've heard you can record using the POD, I just don't know whether this hooks up to the computer itself somehow or whether running the guitar straight through the POD and into the Toneport UX1 (like a pedal) would work. I'm not looking for anything crazy professional, I just enjoy recording things I play.

somebodyelseuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Recording through Line 6 Toneport UX1 and POD 2.0

Post by somebodyelseuk » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:06 am

To use the Pod 2.0, you'll need some kind of interface between it and the computer - something like a Focusrite Solo, for example.
In the setup you've been using, the Toneport provides the interface hardware (the usb bit).
The Blackstar ID can be used as an interface. It should have come with a usb cable to allow you to connect to your computer for firmware updates. If you open the software - Insider - and go into the settings there is one for configuring the amp as an interface. Then, you'll need to go into Ableton's settings to make sure it recognises the amp as an interface...
There WILL be a bit of messing around to do to get it to work.
Plug guitar into Pod, Pod into amp, set the amp to it flattest settings to get the best from the Pod to start with.

Hope this helps.
If you get stuck, get back to me - I do have a Pod 2.0 (somewhere) and a Blackstar ID (15TVP, in my case), so I'm familiar with the gear - and I do a fair amount of recording, though not using this kind of setup.
Cheers.

EDIT: What he says below, too. My mistake for not reading the OP properly - still early here... I'd start there, before trying my approach.
Last edited by somebodyelseuk on Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Recording through Line 6 Toneport UX1 and POD 2.0

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:16 am

CarHud wrote:I've heard you can record using the POD, I just don't know whether this hooks up to the computer itself somehow or whether running the guitar straight through the POD and into the Toneport UX1 (like a pedal) would work.
If you're not hearing the amp sims any more when you use the Toneport, it's safe to assume it's basically working as a DI box. All is not lost as you also have a Pod - just get the amp sim sounds you want on the Pod and send the signal into your computer via the Toneport (which can be thought of as a USB-connected break-out box, if the amp sims aren't functioning as they should).