Good (cheapish) Reverb Plugins (AU)

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Good (cheapish) Reverb Plugins (AU)

Post by rhythmjones » Sat May 20, 2017 2:49 pm

Hello,

I'm getting ready to mix some tracks for both my band and my stepson's band. I realize I don't have a good-enough reverb plugin.

I'm willing to spend a few bucks, but I can't spend several hundred dollars on some high-end plugin. Keep it free or cheapish.

I'd like to have something that's versatile enough to cover a lot of bases.

I'm using Logic so keeping it to AU plugins will help me, but feel free to mention VST-only plugins for others.

What are you guys using for plugin reverbs?
- Mitch

mordecainyc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Good (cheapish) Reverb Plugins (AU)

Post by mordecainyc » Mon May 22, 2017 12:38 am

I would highly recommend the Valhalla reverb plugins. I particularly dig their Room and Vintage plugins. They are affordable but sound absolutely great.

You could also source a bunch of nice impulse responses and use Logic's Space Designer plugin. Works great for spring reverb sounds in my experience.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Mon May 22, 2017 1:49 am

I like TAL's plugs for plate-ish verbs.

https://tal-software.com/products/tal-reverb

I really like ambience, too. Lots of knobs, so it's pretty fiddly, but it's versatile and sounds good.
This is an excellent rectangle

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon May 22, 2017 3:51 am

You might have to narrow it down... what kind of reverb are you looking for? Plate reverb, spring or convolution, or what? How will you use this reverb?

Regardless, if you have Logic you already have a very good convolution reverb, but if you want something a little different, then try this:

https://www.liquidsonics.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very powerful, very customizable.

Of course, if you ever don't know what you are looking for out of third party plug ins, then Waves is kind of a no-brainer at this point. They have their great convolution reverb, IR-1, and their new Abbey Road plate reverb is new to me but has a lot of possibilities:

http://www.waves.com/plugins/abbey-road ... erb-plates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon May 22, 2017 3:55 am

I see that I've violated your free rule. But really, if you have Logic, then you already have a slew of very good quality reverb plug ins with the notable exception of a good plate reverb, which most DAWs aren't really strong on. But they are usually strong with convolution reverb, and Logic is no exception with Space Designer. Don't feel that doesn't compete, although I prefer the convolution reverb in Cubase slightly.

But Space Designer has some good IRs, and you can download the Bricasti package also (or at least I think you can still):

http://logic-pro-expert.com/logic-pro-b ... SLRiBPyvxU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Mon May 22, 2017 5:23 am

mordecainyc wrote:I would highly recommend the Valhalla reverb plugins. I particularly dig their Room and Vintage plugins. They are affordable but sound absolutely great.
I second this. It's the only reverb that I use as a VST.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:23 am

For free, I've onyl really used ReaVerb (as good as the impulse you use), or Epicverb by Variety of Sound which is rather good just a drawback of being CPU intensive (as all their plugins). Worth trying though.

eigentone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eigentone » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:57 am

Larry Mal wrote:I see that I've violated your free rule. But really, if you have Logic, then you already have a slew of very good quality reverb plug ins with the notable exception of a good plate reverb, which most DAWs aren't really strong on. But they are usually strong with convolution reverb, and Logic is no exception with Space Designer. Don't feel that doesn't compete, although I prefer the convolution reverb in Cubase slightly.

But Space Designer has some good IRs, and you can download the Bricasti package also (or at least I think you can still):

http://logic-pro-expert.com/logic-pro-b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... SLRiBPyvxU
Exactly. Space Designer is great and Logic includes many IRs to use with it. It will work well for just about everything. Convolution is a simple process to implement. Don't expect a difference in sound when jumping from one convolution processor to the next. It is CPU intensive so a good programmer may optimize their implementation better.

Space Designer (SD) is very versatile, given all the bundled IRs. As far as what I am using, Space Designer primarily. I'm not crazy about reverb (anymore). If I wanted something different, I'd just get some specialized IRs. Logic includes reverbs other than SD. By and large, they exist for backwards compatibility and to offer less CPU intensive options.

@OP In what regard is SD coming up short?