Re: New DAW software question and help?

Post by budda12ax7 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:35 pm

Thanks for all the good tips.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:45 pm

Larry Mal wrote:So, Ableton is great, but it's probably the one bit of musical software that works in a different system.

All the others (except for Bitwig, which I'll try and address later) work around a linear flow based on non-destructive editing and a workflow derived from analog mixers.

Without getting into it too much, Live is different, it has the same capabilities as Pro Tools and Cubase and all that, but it also specializes in assembling bits of information together quickly- organizing musical "clips" into "scenes". That's where the "live" portion comes from.

I have Ableton, I love it, but I've never after all these years been completely comfortable with the workflow in it and I really, really wish I was. I will accept that the problem is mine, but then again, it may be that you need a more "traditional" DAW for the work you do rather than what Live offers. In other words, if you aren't getting it now, you may never get it, no matter how successful others are with it. Or you may. Who knows? But it is like the one DAW that works differently enough from all the others (and maybe Digital Performer to a slight degree) that it may not gel with you.

(I haven't used Bitwig, but would like to and almost bought it over Christmas. But my understanding is that while it's different, it works basically like Live does at its heart, regarding workflow and philosophy.)

I'd be happy to make recommendations, but it would be helpful to know what you wanted to spend, and more importantly, how you see yourself working with this software. Just you and a guitar and a mic? Or will virtual instruments come into play? Are you recording drums?

The easiest thing to do would be to buy one of the full packages, like Cubase or Digital Performer or Sonar, and then you are set. There's nothing that you would need done that this software won't do for you, and you've spent the money and you have the best. The rest is up to you.

Otherwise, if you won't come off the money, then we'll be talking Reaper (which I don't like) and "lite" versions, or maybe Studio One, which is great.

OK,,,I'm really familiar with Cubase. I used an earlier version with my presonus FireWire hardware. It worked, I studied for it, made a bound manual . I just never liked it. When I got my new desktop....no FireWire, so I sold software and hardware a while back.

I purchased a Scarlet that comes with Apleton Lite...just did not like it. Tried Reaper...it was OK. I am recording live drums and then adding the other instruments to build up the tracks. Plus, working with some loops. I just tried Presonus Prime and it feels good. I was tracking within about 10 minutes. I will record some acoustic guitar and see how that sounds. I like the work flow.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:53 pm

I used FLstudio for ages, it's intuitive for me and has gotten far better than it was for tracking. That said, studio one is just a wonderful, easy to use piece of software that does everything one would want. I doubt I'll ever leave it behind.
This is an excellent rectangle

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:26 pm

mackerelmint wrote:I used FLstudio for ages, it's intuitive for me and has gotten far better than it was for tracking. That said, studio one is just a wonderful, easy to use piece of software that does everything one would want. I doubt I'll ever leave it behind.

i will see how it goes.