Adding an analog mixing board to my DAW setup — worth it?

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
Telliot
Mods
Mods

Adding an analog mixing board to my DAW setup — worth it?

Post by Telliot » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:26 am

When I first started recording as a teenager, everything was recorded analog to tape. I really loved the tactile connection of manipulating sound on a big mixing console. Of course that was time I rented at a local recording studio, before doing everything in a DAW. I held on to a little mixer for a while, but that was more for routing than anything else — all mixing was done ITB. These days it seems most project studios have a fairly decent console, but still use a DAW as their 'tape'. I'm a bit perplexed as to how this is done and why. Are they mixing down stems on the board and doing final mix downs in the DAW? I must admit I'm very keen to adding this to my setup, but thought I'd get your thoughts as to whether it's worth the time or effort. I currently use an interface with 8 ins/outs, which I assume should be enough to facilitate a rig like the one I'm describing? Hopefully I don't sound too naive, after all these years of writing and recording music, I still often feel like a beginner.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Adding an analog mixing board to my DAW setup — worth it

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:42 am

Well, the idea is that you will add good preamps to what you record, better than the preamps that you will find in your typical USB/Firewire/Thunderbolt type interface.

Have you thought about putting together a "lunchbox" type of channel strip? If you aren't recording more than yourself, it's an easy way to get great sound.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... oCSkHw_wcB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And then you would fill that with channel strips of your choice:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... oCR-Lw_wcB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:47 am

I've looked at the 500 series stuff. I like the idea of it, but it certainly doesn't seem like a very cheap option, generally speaking. For the last 15 years or so, I've been using a Joe Meek preamp/compressor that works well for mics and straight in instruments, especially bass. I've never liked the preamps on my interface, which I think is typical.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:46 am

I see. So, if you used a mixing board, what will be the analog to digital end of it? What is the converter going to be?

There's a lot of ways to get what you are looking for, but if you are only looking for a tactile mixing surface? That's a product.

If you want a mixing console with outputs running into a converter, then converting to digital inputs (tracks), that's a product also.

Same with having a mixing console running a stereo out and from there into a digital converter. That is somewhat limiting.

I guess I'm not helping much, but it's a little unclear to me how you want to go about doing what you want, and exactly what you want is.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:16 am

I think it's safe to assume your confusion is coming from the fact I'm not totally clear what my options are. I guess ultimately, I'm looking to add analog signal path to my recordings, and traditionally (in my mind) that's something that seems to equate to a mixing board. Maybe as you suggested it would be smarter to create a channel strip type of setup, for both recording initial signals, as well as running digital stuff through later? I'm missing that analog 'glue' or 'smear', if those terms make any sense.

To answer your question, I only have the A/D converters that are in my interface (Edirol FireWire FA-101, if I'm not mistaken).

Also, I won't lie. There's something about having something in my studio like this that I find creatively inspiring.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:50 am

hmmm it all depends on your workflow. how many channels do you typically use during tracking and mixing? I mean, while it could sure be fun to have a some real buttons and faders during tracking and mixing, you'd be looking at a bigger investment than just the board itself. you'd need AD/DA for each channel (in/out), thus a much bigger audio interface than what you currently have, lots of extra cabling, and what about the mixes? no recall, no automation, for send FX (e.g. reverb) you'd need to connect the auxes to extra channels in your DAW (or use the internal DAW auxes anyway, so there would go the comfort of having physical aux send pots)... similar with insert FX. just a few thoughts. I don't mean to disencourage, but something like a DAW controller could be of much more use and less of a hassle in the end. ;)
Nobody exists on purpose.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:11 am

Yeah, it seems like a good control surface and maybe, if you absolutely must, a summing mixer would fill the bill.

I don't put much stock in the "analog goodness" of summing mixers, personally, and it adds a layer of da/ad conversion you may not want.
This is an excellent rectangle

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:45 am

Thanks, everyone. After doing a bit more research yesterday I came to the conclusion that if I wanted a setup like this, I'd probably be better off with something like an A&H R16 or Mackie Onyx 1640i, which (as far as I can tell) are both FireWire control surfaces with analog circuitry. As cool as going the other route would be it's simply too much investment without necessarily a worthy payoff, it seems.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:37 am

Like I was going to say, simply adding a mixer console to your existing setup would still leave you governed by the preamps and converters that are in your Firewire box anyway, so you wouldn't get adding a whole lot.

If you wanted an actual console, you'd need to find another way to bring the audio in as digital, or you wouldn't be improving anything there that I can see. And unless you can bypass the preamps in your Firewire box somehow, you would simply be adding another preamp, which might be great preamps but a signal is only as strong as the weakest link in the chain, you know?

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:32 am

Telliot, there's also the 'Soundcraft Signature 12MTK'... quite inexpensive. afaik you can send and receive 12 channels to/from your DAW, with just a USB cable.
Nobody exists on purpose.

Bothand Nether
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bothand Nether » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:02 pm

The Missus got a Soundcraft EPM8 10 channel mixer, the mic pres are actually quite nice.
Also, you might find this video about some creative outboard mixer routing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RgTXjp ... qU9sghb1jg
"No short-haired, yellow-bellied Son of tricky dicky's Gonna mother hubbard soft soap me"
-The late Mr. L.