Some golden tips & hints?

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
Bolteh
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Some golden tips & hints?

Post by Bolteh » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:39 am

First of, let me point you to a cover I recorded earlier so you can listen to how I have it right now. The song I recorded is "I Got Id" by Pearl Jam (just mentioning it in case you don't recognize it), it can be found here: I Got Id.

Now, I've been playing for about two and a half year, the guitar was my first ever instrument and I've never had any lessons in terms of guitar or general musictheory. I realize that I'm probably behind on things compared to a lot of people, but I'm still content at where I am right now (being able to play a nice bit of rhythm-guitar and limited, slow lead). Recently (well, about 7-8 months ago) I started recording songs/covers (with my Jazzmaster /flex) to try and see if I can get some nice, good sounding songs on .mp3, but this is where I fail (or so I believe).

If I listen to the song I posted above, I can't help but feel that it's off, that it doesn't sound like something worthy to put on record. I've been tinkering an tweaking and trying different settings for a while now but I just can't seem to get everything right. Either the lead guitar sounds too loud or just not "part of the song" (if you catch what I mean with this), or rhythm is too prominent, or the MIDI-drum/bass (well, through a drum/bass-simulator) just sound fake. But never spot on.

I'm recording on one of the latest iMacs through a Line-6 TonePort GX, I'm using Garageband with the Guitar Rig 3 plugin and grab the MIDI-files for drum/bass from Guitar Pro 5.

So now I'm wondering if people could take a listen to the song I posted above and maybe try to point out what I'm doing wrong (lend me your professional ears? ^^) or maybe it's actually my playing that's off? In either case, could people give me a few pointers or tips & hints on how to improve the sound of my recordings (different software, learn to play guitar, try different settings, whatever)?

As a note, this is the (in my humble opinion) best recording I've ever done, but with that much distortion, anything sounds good, I guess.

PS: been a while since I've visited this forum, but -very- nice job on the new design.

blueavenger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Some golden tips & hints?

Post by blueavenger » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:09 am

This is always so dangerous :o But if you're looking for critiques, you have to remember you're asking people "how would you have done it?" and we may bizzare tastes :D

I'd say there's a lack of dynamics. It sounds like everything is being played with the same intensity. Like that chord at the begining of the second bar. That pattern repeats over and over again and there should be some tension created by that shift, but there isn't enough. You should almost be making an "O" face when you hit that chord, and your audience should almost flinch the first time they hear it. And don't be afraid to try it a little late on the beat. Still legal, but you know, swing it. And not every time, just when you feel it. May not work for you, but it's a great way to add tension

By the way, for two and a half years... Seriously... Great playing!

edouglaspratt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by edouglaspratt » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:16 am

Maarten, there's some courage, puttin' yourself out there like this. Haven't heard the original so my impression is naive.

I like it, your guitars mix, distortion and some nice thin highs, with the drums prominant. Tell ya what I missed is a solid bass.

Thanks for trusting us.

Doug

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:50 am

...your always going to have a hard time with things sounding fake or not right with "band in a box" software. Focus on your playing right now(which is really good for how long you have been playing)...the art of mixing and recording is an entirely different beast unto itself. I will echo the earlier sentiments that the recording appears to lack some dynamics but you should pick that up naturally in time - especially as you become quicker with your fret hand(allowing you to "arrive" at the chord earlier to play around with feel/dynamics). As for the recording, if your recording software has it you might try some group compression on the whole track(applied lightly so you don't squash everything). Applying the same compression to everything sometimes helps to bring it all together a little bit more(provided you don't use a lot and you have mixed it with the proper levels before that).

At this stage your doing a good job just getting to each chord cleanly. I'll say this about that "band in a box" software though - it will help you out(and sounds like it already has) at this stage in your playing if you aren't playing with other good musicians. Learning to listen and keep time with a steady drummer/bassist is one of the most vital things you will learn - ever. One the biggest problems with new guitarists is that they either play to recordings with a lot of distortion on their guitar(so you can't hear where you are "off" as much) or they play alone and focus more on the notes and as a result when we all hear them play a song they know we all hear how it speeds up and slows down to accommodate their skill level but they aren't aware of it because they are focusing on the chords/notes. When you force yourself to play against something with steady time(and you lose the gratuitous distortion so you can hear where you are in/out of time), you'll be waaaayyyy ahead of most - even a lot of guys who play in bands regularly but with an unsteady rhythm sections. Best thing I ever did for myself was learn to listen to a specific bass note or part of the drum kit and learn to syncopate my part against it perfectly.

Bolteh
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bolteh » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:21 pm

Thanks for the comments so far, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :)

I'll just keep practicing then, maybe scavenge the net for some demos of good sounding drum-software and what not. Any ideas on that? Or do they all have that same artificial feeling to them? I also suck at programming those things, so the best I've found so far is the MIDI-tracks from Guitar Pro and import them into Garageband, it automatically translates that into the drum-sound, minimum effort etc. :)