Apogee Duet- worth the money?? Edit: just got it, awesome!

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
NBarnes21
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Apogee Duet- worth the money?? Edit: just got it, awesome!

Post by NBarnes21 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:01 pm

Pingu wrote:I got one recently.

Good things: sounds great, looks great, easy to use.
Bad things: annoying Maestro software opens every time I start the computer, wheel makes an annoying clicking sound, no way to set wheel sensitivity, no included mini-firewire cable, which is strange considering that they market it as a portable interface.
Weird, Maestro only opens for me when I plug in the Duet (although maybe you have it plugged in all the time). Maybe there's something you can change in preferences?
Hello, my name is Nate, and I'm a bend-aholic

Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pingu » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:58 pm

Yes, I have it plugged in all the time, as I thought everyone had. I did find a check box to disable automatic startup, so that's fixed now.

I was planning to get a nice preamp, but listening to how the Duet handles my SM57 I'm not sure that's necessary.

NBarnes21
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NBarnes21 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:25 pm

Pingu wrote:Yes, I have it plugged in all the time, as I thought everyone had. I did find a check box to disable automatic startup, so that's fixed now.

I was planning to get a nice preamp, but listening to how the Duet handles my SM57 I'm not sure that's necessary.
Well my comp's a laptop so I only plug the Duet in when I'm recording or listening to music through my monitors in the basement. Good to know about disabling it though.

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:16 am

I could really go for one of these babies. I've been thinking about a new preamp, and I want something very clean and transparent. Was considering a MOTU 8Pre, which is kind of at the other end of the spectrum, portability wise (it's 1U rack). But if people are finding the Duet really good...

NBarnes21
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NBarnes21 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:36 am

idiotbear wrote:I could really go for one of these babies. I've been thinking about a new preamp, and I want something very clean and transparent. Was considering a MOTU 8Pre, which is kind of at the other end of the spectrum, portability wise (it's 1U rack). But if people are finding the Duet really good...
It seems totally worth the extra coin to me. I was previously using an M-Audio Fast Track Pro and there is a noticeable difference in quality with the Duet, it even makes my monitors sound a lot better.