terribly loud live recordings, where to put the mic

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

terribly loud live recordings, where to put the mic

Post by fuzzking » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:14 am

hey i'm thinking of taping our next show with one of these handy zoom portables, but i have no clue where to put it, how far from the stage, etc.

won't take the pa stereo out, as we're always only doing vocs and maybe the bd via the pa ... i thought of putting the thing behind the foh guy's head, on top of the drinks cupboard, any ideas, tips, etc?
Nobody exists on purpose.

ugly casanova
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: terribly loud live recordings, where to put the mic

Post by ugly casanova » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:28 pm

walk around at the soundcheck and try to find the best sound. try to reduce too much bass and too much crash from the drumset to get best results.
thats what i'd recommend.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:22 am

problem is, i have no radio guitar or headset.  ;D

maybe best to ask a friend with some good hears to do it?

ugly casanova
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ugly casanova » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:07 am

do test recordings or have a friend change positions while you play ???

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:10 am

hm somewhat complicated, this whole matter.  :(

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:00 am

Your best bet is probably putting it at FOH. That way you'll get what the soundguy is hearing. Better still would be to record the room sound from FOH and also take a feed from the desk, and mix them.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:20 am

yeah FOH!  :)

mixing the stuff together: i was thinking about that too. i'll see how much of a setup hassle it'll be.

i'll do sound for friends of mine in the same club this thursday, maybe the perfect occasion to do a test.

:)

tonyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tonyw » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:52 pm

I use a Zoom H2 for everything live and found for lowish volume gigs i set up behind us on the middle mic gain setting works well.
Played a big show on this setting and its distorted and that was with it just picking up the monitors with the Zoom on a chair behind me.
In hindsight i should have adjusted my mic input and also used the lo gain setting and then bought the volume back up in the edit later if it was too low

Love my H2

;)

I have some live songs recorded on the Zoom online pm me if you want a listen

NBarnes21
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NBarnes21 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:30 pm

As mentioned, stick it at FOH.  If the sound guy's any good he'll be adjusting the levels to the room and you oughta get a decent mix.  My band did the very same thing on tour (Zoom H2 and all) and got pretty decent results, we'd post a song to our blog nightly.  We did import it into Logic every night and EQ it and add a bit of compression too which helped a lot.  BTW, don't use the recorder's built in compression, it sucks ass and you're stuck with it.
Hello, my name is Nate, and I'm a bend-aholic

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:28 am

we have cancelled the gig, haha.

tonyw wrote: I use a Zoom H2 for everything live and found for lowish volume gigs i set up behind us on the middle mic gain setting works well.
Played a big show on this setting and its distorted and that was with it just picking up the monitors with the Zoom on a chair behind me.
In hindsight i should have adjusted my mic input and also used the lo gain setting and then bought the volume back up in the edit later if it was too low

Love my H2

;)

I have some live songs recorded on the Zoom online pm me if you want a listen
yeah that's the trouble with the digital stuff. alwasy better to leave some decent headroom when recording.

and thanks for the offer, but i already heard some recordings a friend made with the thing - quite decent, innit?

NBarnes21 wrote: As mentioned, stick it at FOH.  If the sound guy's any good he'll be adjusting the levels to the room and you oughta get a decent mix.  My band did the very same thing on tour (Zoom H2 and all) and got pretty decent results, we'd post a song to our blog nightly.  We did import it into Logic every night and EQ it and add a bit of compression too which helped a lot.  BTW, don't use the recorder's built in compression, it sucks ass and you're stuck with it.
i will def. try an H2 at FOH next time... i can borrow these from the sound guy at school.

i would have imagined the built-in compression is no too great... i mean, if you don't know what you're doing, stay the hell away from compression, to not even think of letting some chip decide what's best for the signal. or use the built-in autocompression and judge rsults by listening to some built-in mini speaker, haha

tonyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tonyw » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:19 pm

I dont use anything but the record function pretty much
you can edit with some decent compression later if need be.
Its great as a press record and forget unit.

The reason i have it onstage with me is i have heard of 3 of these walk from the front of house so far.

;)

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:34 pm

As has been said before..always walk around the venue and listen for the best spot. FOH isnt always the best spot believe me. However a lot of time it is the most practical. Your ears are the key!

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:52 am

the ears... of course  ;)

i think FOH would be kind of a safe and easy spot for placement... i sure don't feel like putting the thing on a stand somewhere in the room where each and every idiot could grab it.

by the way, last saturday i did on location sound for a student movie, and i really missed something to do quick and easy recordings of sounds with that would come in handy in the studio, like variopus sounds of the engine of the sports car we used, and atmospheres ... they brought in a baby fox that had a short appearance in the movie, and it made the craziest sounds when the camera was not running. i always had to urge the camera guy to let the cam run for a few more seconds because i needed to record this and that, but he was always busy preparing the next shot and stuff. next time i'll bring a zoom along and do the extra recordings on the fly.