Fender Jaguar Johnny Marr Sherwood Green worth an extra penn

Got questions or suggestions? Want to show the world your dressing room creations? Post 'em here!
NamelessFunk
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Fender Jaguar Johnny Marr Sherwood Green worth an extra penn

Post by NamelessFunk » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:28 pm

Hello Offset-guitar lovers,

I have a question.
I'm really considering buying a Johnny Marr Jaguar. Someone contacted me and said he had a Sherwood Green one, so only 200 made worldwide.
When I asked him for his selling price, he didn't give me an exact price but said that the guitar is a collectors item due to the color and that he wanted a reasonable amount more than a standard one.
What do you guys think? Is it worth a lot more than a standard color (red or white) one and how much more? Do you consider it as a collector guitar? And do you think it would increase in value over time?

Thanks!
Quentin- NamelessFunk

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Jaguar Johnny Marr Sherwood Green worth an extra

Post by kdanie » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:16 pm

Not from my point of view... anything "collectable" is only worth what someone is willing to pay and buying a guitar as an investment is a HUGE risk. Of course if YOU paid a premium for that color you just proved it's worth more! I personally would not pay any more for "rare" color than a standard color-I would also demand proof that it was a limited edition color and not just a re-finish...

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:40 pm

kdanie wrote:Not from my point of view... anything "collectable" is only worth what someone is willing to pay and buying a guitar as an investment is a HUGE risk. Of course if YOU paid a premium for that color you just proved it's worth more! I personally would not pay any more for "rare" color than a standard color-I would also demand proof that it was a limited edition color and not just a re-finish...

ken
An investment - *Probably* not.

Worth more due to rarity - Yes. (See reverb for current AVRI 62 Jazzmaster pricing, a model that was made for... 14 years i think. Current second hand pricing is higher than original list in many cases). Sherwoods were only available 1 production cycle, possibly 2, over a 3 month period and were sold out almost immediately.

200 WW is the generally accepted number, although I can remember what the verification is for that. I also cant remember what the split is NA vs the rest - 50 NA and 150 WW or if it was the other way around. Some were duds and got returned, some are probably in the crusher already, so safely less the 200 now.

Anyway - IMHO - it depends on how motivated you are to get one and how motivated the seller is to sell. Current second hand MarrGuar market seems to be around 1150 to 1250. Sherwoods listed at 1750, so you might have to split the difference.

Also of note: There is a rumor that there may be a limited run of Black ones this year.

*** Good advice about the verification of no refin ***

NamelessFunk
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by NamelessFunk » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:22 pm

Thanks for the info guys!
I'm not especially interested in this colour, but I like it but not sure iff i'm willing to pay a lot more just for the colour.
I think I will stick to the regular red or white one :)
Any experience with this guitar?

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:45 pm

There is a big thread here on the Marr Jaguar.

I think they're great and have never had a problem. I had a KO that got sold when I got a sherwood one.