Humbucker Mounting Ring on a Pickguard?

Got questions or suggestions? Want to show the world your dressing room creations? Post 'em here!
Chodrick
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Humbucker Mounting Ring on a Pickguard?

Post by Chodrick » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:08 pm

Hey guys,
I had a truly unique idea for a Warmoth Jazzmaster guitar I wanted to build. I would install three humbuckers with a Seymour Duncan Triple Shot mounting ring on each, along with a 6 way toggle switch I found on StewMacs website. However the Triple Shot mounting ring is very very thin, and it starts to bend inwards when I have the pickup screwed in. There is something that has been bugging me for a while on the Kurt Cobain Jaguar, and no amount of research shows any promising answers to this question.

The Jaguar has a mounting ring holding the humbuckers while they are also mounted to the pickguard, I thought maybe they just had the screw that holds the pickup and not the four mounting screws on the corners. This is not the case, they look like they have very small screws holding the ring down. But are the screws through the body? The pickguard? What???

http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/ma ... 560-80.jpg

I would really like to see my guitar idea become a reality, but with how thin the Triple Shot rings are I am too afraid that they will crack and break. If anyone can shed some light on this or anyone who owns one show my some pictures of the underside of the pickguard or something I would really appreciate it.

Thank you guys!!!

Mr Putter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Humbucker Mounting Ring on a Pickguard?

Post by Mr Putter » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:13 am

I've got a jaguar that was routed for humbuckers and the rings are mounted to the guard and the screws go through to and anchor to the body also. I put a humbucker in a squier strat for fun and used a mounting ring that only anchored to the guard which is sturdy enough.

Personally I think rings look better and they make modding pickguards easier as you don't have to be tidy, just make a hole and the rings cover it.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:15 pm

Mr Putter wrote:I've got a jaguar that was routed for humbuckers and the rings are mounted to the guard and the screws go through to and anchor to the body also. I put a humbucker in a squier strat for fun and used a mounting ring that only anchored to the guard which is sturdy enough.

Personally I think rings look better and they make modding pickguards easier as you don't have to be tidy, just make a hole and the rings cover it.
Completely agree. My first guitar was a knock-off (Abilene: Samick side brand) Strat and it's all sorts of alternating black and cream and both humbuckers (Bridge is SD JB, Neck is SD 59) have cream rings and I think it looks SO much better. The cheaper Ibanez double-cut models have humbuckers mounted straight to the guard and it just looks so cheap to me.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

morganp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by morganp » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:12 pm

What about one of those thin metal pickup rings, mounted underneath for support? Like this one from GFS: http://www.guitarfetish.com/Pair-Chrome ... p_587.html
I think it would be thin enough to not raise the height much.