Offset Telecaster

Got questions or suggestions? Want to show the world your dressing room creations? Post 'em here!
jdrier21
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Offset Telecaster

Post by jdrier21 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:16 pm

What do you guys think??

Stratelejazzuar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Offset Telecaster

Post by Stratelejazzuar » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:50 pm

it's looks cool enough for billy gibbons! ;D i think the upper strap button area needs to be pulled up some more, so that it's curves match the rest of the rearward angles. speaking of which, it looks like the the arm rest area could come forward, or the butt/jack are be enlarged to tweak the "offsetiness" (yay, new word!)

The angle on the control plate is my favourite part, tho! 8) and the neck heel is a nice touch, although a wee bit lacking in the compatibility department.

maybe it's just the colour, but it's almost jag-stang-y :ph34r:

are you going to build it, or just tease us with graphics? ???

;)

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:01 pm

Already tried that one out ages ago.

jdrier21
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jdrier21 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:21 am

ya, i've seen other offset teles around before but none of them had an angled bridge plate or neck base. Both of those parts would be easy enough to make because they just involve cutting pre-existing Tele parts. believe me, it took a long time in photoshop to get this just right without messing up Fender's 25.5" scale. In some offset tele builds, this would appear to be a problem. I really want it to still feel like Fender and not some homemade monster. Cutting the parts seemed like the only logical way to make them all fit together right. :unsure:

I would so much love to build this beast but unfortunately I am already distracted with a Jazzmaster build. I am also just a poor college kid trying to make his way through life so it will be a while before I can save up enough to do another build. I mainly posted this to get ideas/suggestions or to inspire others. This is one guitar I would love to see build even if not by me.

Maybe if we all petitoned together, we could convice Fender to make these. :D

roger_that
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by roger_that » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:58 pm

theres a guy near me that actually makes offset teles, and theyre quite nice too, ive been thinking about building something similar myself.

Wobigon
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Wobigon » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:57 pm

those are great, they remind me of the yamaha teles...cool

wardpike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wardpike » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:48 pm

Very Nice! I am an avid tele owner and player... and have one by my side right now, so this intrigues me.

spacewhale
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacewhale » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:50 am

Hate to spoil the party but those Teles are not offset, the 'butt' is like an offset, but it's the upper and lower contours that determine if a guitar is an offset design. These Teles have non-offset contours in the middle. :blush:

roger_that
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by roger_that » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:58 am

spacewhale wrote:Hate to spoil the party but those Teles are not offset, the 'butt' is like an offset, but it's the upper and lower contours that determine if a guitar is an offset design. These Teles have non-offset contours in the middle. :blush:
thats a very good point, still pretty though ;)

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:14 pm

spacewhale wrote:Hate to spoil the party but those Teles are not offset, the 'butt' is like an offset, but it's the upper and lower contours that determine if a guitar is an offset design. These Teles have non-offset contours in the middle. :blush:
You read my mind as I was scrolling down the page.

According to the original patent, the bouts should be offset by between 10 and 40 degrees.

Q. Are we not men?

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:46 pm

Offsetting the rear end with out offsetting everything else to some degree looks awkward to me. The outline of that last ones posted looks like a standard tele shape, but with the arm rest area cut down. I do like Paul's though. and if one could add the slanted bridge plate to it. that would be boss as hell.
I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

brinogordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by brinogordon » Tue May 04, 2010 1:22 pm

anything that makes a tele less like a plain, square block of wood is ok with me :-)

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Tue May 04, 2010 5:45 pm

jdrier21 wrote:Image

What do you guys think??
Well... I think I might like it better if it was a jazzy turned tele instead of the otherway around (know what I mean?)

I also prefer the way Paul's looks with the straight neck pickup, though I also like the angled fretboard...

It's a sweet idea though, I've been playing around with this on one of my own offset designs as I'd like to make matching offsets for me and my girlfriend (we play in a band together so it's not a his hers type of thing, it's a strat p-bass type of thing) but she really likes teles.

Blah blah blah, it's a sweet idea, I think you should keep working with the design though.

JPCordingley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JPCordingley » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:56 pm

Sorry for bringing up a dead thread, but I was thinking about the concept of an offset Tele today. I love a good Tele but am a recent convert to offsets. What if I could combine everything I love about the Tele; the pick-up selections, the twang and the looks with everything I love about offsets - the comfortable body and... Drum roll please... The Jazzmaster/ Jaguar vibrato. I love the look of the OP's design, including the angled bridge plate. But imagine that with a big bit of chrome behind the bridge for waggling with! Twangy Tele with a bit of warbly vibrato thrown in? I'm tempted to buy a cheap Tele for the parts and neck and a nice block of tonewood for the body and create the secret love child of Leo Fender and Dr Frankenstein! By the way, I have no experience of self-building - but I'm determined to make one. If I do it this way and it goes a little bit tits up, I've still got a Tele body and all the parts.

itchybro
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by itchybro » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:37 pm

JPCordingley wrote:...What if I could combine everything I love about the Tele; the pick-up selections, the twang and the looks with everything I love about offsets - the comfortable body and... Drum roll please... The Jazzmaster/ Jaguar vibrato..
Well….. There's this….

And…. With regard to the Mastery… I have one on my beloved Mascis Squire but… It can't do the things this rig can…. It's pretty amazing.

Fabio Taglioni