Mustang VI

Got questions or suggestions? Want to show the world your dressing room creations? Post 'em here!
ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Mustang VI

Post by ThePearDream » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:05 am

I've been brainstorming ideas for future projects, mostly based on filling holes in my guitar collection. I don't have a Mustang, so have been thinking about those. I don't really want to use classic Mustang pickups though. While browsing random pictures of guitars on Pinterest, a Fender Maverick showed up and I decided to put the two together, but with the Jaguar trem that I would want to use. So, I present:

It uses 2-way series/parallel switches for the coil pairs before going to the master switch, which could also be an Electric XII style 4-way rotary switch. There is a slightly reshaped control plate, which would have witch hat knobs (I didn't have any CAD drawings of those). Since I also need a yellow guitar, I was thinking of using Saturn Gold Firemist, which would look nice next to my almost complete Orange Firemist Coyote project.
Doug
@dpcannafax

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mustang VI

Post by Embenny » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:47 am

My series-parallel wired Jaguar VI and I wholeheartedly support this project.

I used Novaks and had him wire each half-coil RW/RP so that each position is humcancelling unlike a vintage XII. Series sounds kind of like a humcancelling Fendery take on the P90. Very midrange-forward relative to regular Jag/mustang/JM tones and a rounded treble response but still that alnico-pole string attack.

Parallel is very thin and spanky, like a vintage Mustang but even more so. Come to think of it, I used 1megs, and it probably sounds a lot like what a vintage Mustang would sound like with 1megs.

Oh, and something to be aware of with the Mustang body - mustangs tend to be a little thinner, and the XII pickups are really deep. I had to rout probably 3/8" deeper than the standard jaguar pickup routs just to get them to fit. You'd have to be careful with a Mustang because you'd have less of a buffer underneath there, unless you use a thicker than average body.
Last edited by Embenny on Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:52 am

Ooh dreamy :-* . I remember seeing this one, but didn't remember whose it was. It was definitely in the back of my mind when the ideas were coming together.

Edit: I would build it with a standard 1-3/4" body blank, so no worries about the pickup height.
Doug
@dpcannafax

raindog13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by raindog13 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:14 am

mbene085 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:47 am

I used Novaks and had him wire each half-coil RW/RP so that each position is humcancelling unlike a vintage XII. Series sounds kind of like a humcancelling Fendery take on the P90. Very midrange-forward relative to regular Jag/mustang/JM tones and a rounded treble response but still that alnico-pole string attack.

Parallel is very thin and spanky, like a vintage Mustang but even more so. Come to think of it, I used 1megs, and it probably sounds a lot like what a vintage Mustang would sound like with 1megs.

Oh, and something to be aware of with the Mustang body - mustangs tend to be a little thinner, and the XII pickups are really deep. I had to rout probably 3/8" deeper than the standard jaguar pickup routs just to get them to fit. You'd have to be careful with a Mustang because you'd have less of a buffer underneath there, unless you use a thicker than average body.
Holy shit this is awesome! Beautifully done!

jmurph
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jmurph » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:10 am

I love the idea of a Mustang VI! In fact, I've been kicking around the same idea as well as a mustang XII.
mbene085 wrote:

That's a sweet looking Jag VI! Is it really a 30" scale? For some reason it looks smaller to me. Either way, it's stunning.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:15 am

jmurph wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:10 am
I love the idea of a Mustang VI! In fact, I've been kicking around the same idea as well as a mustang XII.
mbene085 wrote:

That's a sweet looking Jag VI! Is it really a 30" scale? For some reason it looks smaller to me. Either way, it's stunning.
Nope, standard jaguar 24". I just call it a Jaguar VI because it has pickups from a XII but half as many strings!
The artist formerly known as mbene085.