Hello from Houston, Texas

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Hello from Houston, Texas

Post by nanamour » Mon May 02, 2016 7:38 pm

Howdy all!

I stumbled across this amazing community a few years ago and have since gleaned a wealth of advice and had access to easily a thousand years of collective knowhow and experience in all things music (not just offsets, :-* song of the day thread). After lurking in the shadows I thought it was time to engage and maybe even contribute a thing or two

I started out playing bass for a couple of local bands, but now it's mostly six strings drawing blood instead of four. I play clean, delayed, wow n' flutter-drenched pop. Just me and a revolving door of bargain bin drum machine companions most of the time.

No.1 guitar is a trusty parts Jag rescue project finished in Iris Mist Metallic (a 60s Pontiac custom color) but a recently acquired Rickenbacker 660/6 in almighty Jetglo has been giving it some competition lately--belated NGD post to follow sometime soon.

Other tools worthy of note:
Klemt Echolette: capstan wheel is utterly fucked=beautiful warble and flutter in spades :?
Battered Guild D25
Squier Bass VI (currently undergoing cosmetic surgery)
Ampeg Reverberocket II

Liquids
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hello from Houston, Texas

Post by Liquids » Wed May 04, 2016 12:08 pm

nanamour wrote: Squier Bass VI (currently undergoing cosmetic surgery)
Ampeg Reverberocket II
Hey nanamour.

Is your reverberocket II vintage or reissue (both are good+ amps IMO)?

I also enjoy the amount of love for the Bass VI here...it's such a cool instrument.

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Wed May 04, 2016 1:34 pm

The Reverberocket II is vintage, a '66 if I remember correctly.

A previous owner unfortunately replaced the original 7591 power tubes with a pair of JJ 6L6GC's, but even in its altered state a wonderful amp (nice reverb, trem to swoon over + a weird 'secret' staccato mode)

I love the thing (it swiftly usurped my DRRI), but I've been down a bit of a rabbit hole trying to find a speaker to mate it with--I bought it equipped with a 90s Eminence-made Fender OEM ceramic(?) which was pretty lackluster all round...since then I've tried an Emi Cannabis Rex, vintage NOS Jensen C12R, Weber 12A150A, and a late 70s Celestion G12 M which might be staying in ye olde blue-checkered thing.

And yes, much love for the VI here! In a previous project we had two Bass VI-ists, one through a bass amp covering the lower registers and mine with the bright switch permanently engaged through a fuzz face into a gargantuan Bassman 10 combo :w00t: An incredibly versatile and sheer cool instrument.

Liquids
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Liquids » Thu May 05, 2016 5:01 am

I have the same amp, and love it too. It's sort of been my "around the house" amp, but it's the best 1x12 I've ever owned, for certain. So I'm not surprised it usurped your deluxe, at all. I like how the reverb is not just good, but has a really different feel to it than fender style reverb.

I like it with 7591s, and I think the JJs hold up decently. I think the old tung-sols that I got the amp with are what's running in mine right now!
I'd replace them with the JJ 7591s, I just haven't had much need to do so, and due to fudging around with the JJ 7591s I had in another amp, I blew the JJs, to make a long story short.

Mine needed a tune-up when I got it, but I was able to get it cheap on that account, and the work was fairly simple.

When 7591s were not being made, a lot of people went with 6x6 variants in Ampegs (etc) that ran 7591s, so it's not uncommon to see something otehr than 7591s in them these days. It's not to hard to get them back to being able to run 7591s either.

I really like Eminence 'Swamp Thang' speakers (but such a dumb name!). That's what I run in mine, as well as in the oversized 2x12 cab I have. It's got a big low end and a clear high end. A great price to boot.

If you like a more British flair, the Eminence Tonker is the counterpart--both have big powerful magnets and a big 2" voice coil--so, full low end, but they use different cones and to get a somewhat similar but different frequency response curve. Can't go wrong with those IMO, particularly with a 1x12.

nanamour wrote:The Reverberocket II is vintage, a '66 if I remember correctly.

A previous owner unfortunately replaced the original 7591 power tubes with a pair of JJ 6L6GC's, but even in its altered state a wonderful amp (nice reverb, trem to swoon over + a weird 'secret' staccato mode)

I love the thing (it swiftly usurped my DRRI), but I've been down a bit of a rabbit hole trying to find a speaker to mate it with--I bought it equipped with a 90s Eminence-made Fender OEM ceramic(?) which was pretty lackluster all round...since then I've tried an Emi Cannabis Rex, vintage NOS Jensen C12R, Weber 12A150A, and a late 70s Celestion G12 M which might be staying in ye olde blue-checkered thing.

And yes, much love for the VI here! In a previous project we had two Bass VI-ists, one through a bass amp covering the lower registers and mine with the bright switch permanently engaged through a fuzz face into a gargantuan Bassman 10 combo An incredibly versatile and sheer cool instrument.

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Thu May 05, 2016 8:55 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Liquids. Glad someone else appreciates these

I've read of good results people have had with the Emi Swamp Thang in Reverberockets but honestly the name has turned me off (seems tailor made for the blues squad) to the point of avoiding trying it for a while now :fp: maybe it's time to give it a go. Any experience with the Swamp Thang vs the Cannabis Rex? I felt the C. rex was a little bit too smooth for my liking...the word 'smoky' comes to mind.

Truthfully though, I'm generally more a fan of 10's than 12's (tighter, punchier to my ears) and have been toying with the idea of cutting a new 10" baffle and transplanting the 10" Celestion Alnico Gold (middy jangle goodness) I have in another amp into the Reverberocket.

Liquids
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Liquids » Fri May 06, 2016 5:49 am

I hear you about the name, for sure. I wish they'd re-name them.

The C. Rex is apparently Eminence's take on the "hemp cone speaker" thing. I haven't messed with hemp speakers personally.

There's a speaker comparison video here that is useful, but they're all demos of 12" speakers, and all the clips involve distortion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7tlfI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I definitely understand about 10s. I had an old Super Reverb for a while with 4x10s, and it's a great sound. I dunno about 1x10, but obviously plenty of people do just fine with a 1x10 Princeton!

From what you describe wanting from a speaker, I'm not sure what speaker I'd dare recommend. The way a 10" alnico gold is "tight" and also "jangly" will indeed be different than most speakers, especially most (if not all) 12s!
nanamour wrote:Thanks for the suggestions Liquids. Glad someone else appreciates these

I've read of good results people have had with the Emi Swamp Thang in Reverberockets but honestly the name has turned me off (seems tailor made for the blues squad) to the point of avoiding trying it for a while now maybe it's time to give it a go. Any experience with the Swamp Thang vs the Cannabis Rex? I felt the C. rex was a little bit too smooth for my liking...the word 'smoky' comes to mind.

Truthfully though, I'm generally more a fan of 10's than 12's (tighter, punchier to my ears) and have been toying with the idea of cutting a new 10" baffle and transplanting the 10" Celestion Alnico Gold (middy jangle goodness) I have in another amp into the Reverberocket.

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Fri May 06, 2016 1:46 pm

Ha, a tall order I know. In the end I suppose there's no substitute for just rolling the sleeves up and experimenting--it shouldn't be too much work to make a 10" baffle and see how the Gold sounds.

Thanks for the input, this kind of thing is what makes this forum such a great place.